• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    have been giving this fiberglass hull with deck
    by davidc2 ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Recruit)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    24 Posts 23 Replies 10 Photos 17 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    roycv
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ“ have been giving this fiberglass hull with deck
    Flag
    Online: 1 second ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks guys for your kind words. I did put this and more into an article for Model Boats magazine to be followed up with the gaff cutter conversion of Bella. I am afraid it was rejected as being too wordy and I suspect a lack of understanding.

Even in the model boat communituy regard us rag and stick fans as a minority. But glad someone appreciated it.

The clubs I belong to, both primarily model engineering, think an old yacht hull just needs a couple of old hankies and a bit of bamboo mast to sail like an Americas Cup yacht.

I converted the Bella about 4 years ago and apart from going to Black Park it has never ventured far so perhaps there is another conversion some where.

I have used the method on about six yachts and they all sail very well hands off on a tack to windward or a beam reach.
    regards
    Roy
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thank you Roy for giving such a comprehensive explanation of C of E and CLR. Once you have these points established, it's not difficult to design a rig, any rig, around them.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I do like your 'Bella' rigged as a gaff cutter. One of the first boats I built was a 'Bella' and even as I was building her, I wondered how she would sail with a gaff rig. Had I been a bit more experienced at the time I might have experimented. I remember seeing a gaff rigged 'Bella' at one of the shows, Blackpool or Haydock a year or two ago, could that have been yours?

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Derek 151
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Roy,
    Excellent explanation of a simple way to find the balance point on a model.
    Correct me if I am wrong but, with the two headsails, is your Pelican rigged as a gaff cutter?
    roycv
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi to illustrate, this is my yacht called Pelican. She was meant to be a Bermuda rig and is the Aeronaut kit Bella.

I decided I wanted a gaff rig yacht more old fashioned and in keeping with the wood hull. The sail area is greater, but the C of E is lower. Also I wanted an extra jib and decided to lengthen the 'sailing hull' by adding a bowsprit.
    Make your mind up which you prefer.
    Roy
    roycv
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi how nice to read casual use of CLR and C of E!

If you want to start again with this hull then try this. You will need a good size bath of water, or similar.

Load the hull down to a waterline I suspect all up weight of this hull is 25 lbs. You need side access to the floating hull. Using a finger push the hull effectively sideways and away from you.

The hull will slide to one side or the other. Move your finger along until the hull moves sideways and away from you evenly and not drifting to one side or the other. Mark this point. This is the Centre of Lateral Resistance.

You can work out the sail area group centre and this point should be 4% ahead of the already marked CLR.

When the sails are set up as above then the yacht will sail steadily on all courses. It works for the scale type hulls, you may want to set up differently if you run a class racing yacht,

I have set up hulls with no other information as to origins and they sail very well.

Clearly you may have to play with sail areas and where masts are positioned but the masts can be fixed points and the sails the variable part.

As a hint on sail area a 20 mph wind puts a pressure of 1 pound per square foot on a flat surface. The effect of the keel weight is measured from its estimated centre to the centre of bouyancy of the hull, (or the waterline if in doubt). There are several variables to juggle but it is fun to work it all out and of course there is more than one solution!
    Make sure the yacht looks right, compa.re photos of full size
    This does skate over a few points but you get the basics.

Regards
    Roy
    Derek 151
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Bear in mind that the boat would have been designed as a ketch and the balance beteen the CLE (centre of lateral effort) of the sails and the CLR (centre of lateral resistence) of the keel would have been a much needed part of that design on the full size vessel. This gives a yacht its 'balance' when sailing and any deviation gives you the effects of 'lee helm' and 'weather helm'. Normally full size yachts are designed to have slight 'weather helm', where the boat tends to point up into the wind and 'lee helm' is most undesirable. Any deviation, even in a model yacht, could make it difficult to sail.
    Don't let me put you off, after all it's your model, just wanted to point out any possible problems.
    Good luck with your build.๐Ÿ‘
    david41
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 4 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    will be taking your advice and go for a Yawl i can overcome the squire thing that is aft

David
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Yes Derek,
    Having looked at the photos again and realising what those square things are on the deck, she looks as if she is intended to be rigged as a ketch, although, as a yawl you could have a bigger and more efficient mainsail, which would give you better windward performance. The mizzen of a ketch often backwinds the mainsail and the mizzen of a yawl is usually too small to do likewise. This has been a divisive subject for years and we could argue the pros and cons for weeks.

Nerys
    Griss
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    No expert but the keel looks fsr to shallow mine also carries the lead ballast?
    Show 14 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info