• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Building a Tug
    by merchant67 ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Able Seaman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    10 Posts 9 Replies 7 Photos 9 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Alannicholls
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Building a Tug
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Enjoy. Once you've built one you will be hooked. ๐Ÿ˜€ I started with a model kit ("Sanson") and have since built 6 more from scratch, all at 1:50 Scale. "Anteo", "JR More", "Eland" and x3 "Alwyn Vintcent's".

My current projects are the "Alwyn Vintcent" at 1:32 Scale for RC (all previous boats primarily for display).

I've cast 2 hulls, one of which I've already sold, and am now in the last stages of completing the kitting of a second model for sale. Unfortunately the kit is not designed for the novice.

It is a pity that you are so far away, postage or courier would be exorbitant and would put the cost way above what you would pay for an equivalent model in the UK.โ˜น๏ธ

Enjoy your model making. ๐Ÿ˜€
    merchant67
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Building a Tug
    Flag
    Online: 9 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    That's a great suggestion and thank you. However I feel that at this stage something a little easier may be called for !!!!!!
    Alannicholls
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Building a Tug
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    If you are feeling truly adventurous and would like to do a "scratch build" I have plans for the "Alwyn Vintcent", the last operational steam tug in South Africa. I can also supply the 3D models of all the fittings for you to have printed.

Alan
    dave976
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Building a Tug
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    MM are good at providing all the help and materials you need. Their system of buying the bits as required works well and with your previous experience you should have no problem in easing back into the hobby. As regards cost I believe that is relative to what you seek to achieve. It's a hobby so having sound hulls and parts coupled with all the help and advice you may require is worth every penny. I built a Lady T and my friend built the Lady Jan and Lady Wooes and another club member built the Canning. I attach pics so you can see what is achievable, I can only echo Griss and suggest you give them a ring, they re-open on Tuesday 4th Jan. Hopefully they will be able to re-attend Model Shows next year as I'm sure we would wish to see.
    dave976
    Griss
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Building a Tug
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Contact them i found them easy to deal with
    Derek 151
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Building a Tug
    Flag
    Online: 7 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I think you may find that MMM kits are rather expensive (but aren't they all these days) Their system of buying 'packs' as you need them for your build does spread out the cost but, when all added together are rather costly but probably a good way of building if you want to do one of their kits. The quality of their kits and accessries are very good.
    Another site worth having a look at is - orionmouldings.com - his GRP mouldings are excellent and I believe that although he is mainly hulls he now does a kit for a tug. Another one that does 2 or 3 tug kits is - http://www.tonygreensteammodels.co.uk/index.php?main_page=in... These are nice kits as they were taken over from Dave Metcalf kits.
    Derek.
    http://www.tonygreensteammodels.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=129&zenid=a07o0gafe57e5nqr0lmo4ept05
    ๐Ÿ”—
    merchant67
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Building a Tug
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I have built numerous boats over the years ranging from the small 'White Star' kit to plank on frame USS Missouri, MV Velarde, MTB's, Empress of Britain (bread and butter construction) a large scale Rea Tug Hazelgarth (GF gull and superstructure)and Royal Navy ships using Fleetscale hulls etc. Sadly all this came to an end a few years ago and all the boats were either given away,sold or sent to the tip!!
    I now want to try again and was just wondering if the Mobile Marine way was good. It does seem to be a relatively easy and stress free way to complete a model!!!!
    Fred
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ“ Building a Tug
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi
    I like Brian's system, you can go all out or you can buy it as and when you want.
    I have found the hull's to well made.
    That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.
    Ron
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Building a Tug
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    What experience do you have in building model boats? Is this to be a static model or motorized? There are many varieties of tugboats in use around the world. Do you know the type you wish to build?
    merchant67
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Building a Tug
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I am thinking of building a tug and wondered what people think of the Mobile Marine Tug kits???

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info