• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Hull/ planking wood types. Beginner
    by roboboyo ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Leading Seaman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    3 Posts 2 Replies 4 Photos 6 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Hillro
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Hull/ planking wood types. Beginner
    Flag
    Online: 20 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi, good advise has already been given however you have to fix your frames to a baseboard. This is to keep them in line and correctly spaced.
    There is a lot of examples on this site.
    I have included some pics of my current project.
    Do you have any info on what you are intending to build?
    cjanik001
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Congratulations, and welcome to a great hobby.

Balsa is probably the best wood to use for a first time modeler. It is a lot easier to cut and pin to the bulkheads during gluing. Depending upon the thickness of your balsa strips, the use of large pins will tend to split the wood. Use a good quality waterproof wood glue. I have a small plastic bottle with a long thin spout which I use to dispense the glue.
    I found it is best to use a small amount of glue during the initial pinning to avoid getting the balsa too wet and risking the piece to warp. Once the initial joint is dry, a glue fillet can be put on the inside of the bulkhead and the strip to further secure the joint. Take your time!! Don't rush the hull build.

Glue the planks evenly on both sides of the hull starting on the bottom at the stern working toward the bow. A curving hull can be tricky. If the hull is to be painted, then I would lay the planks straight, and fill in with shorter pieces cutting to fit the gaps. If the planking will be seen, then a wood steaming method may need to be used to shape the wood around the curves. More experienced Modelers than I would be able to instruct you through this method.
    Waterproofing the hull after planking needs to be done as well. I use an auto body filler compound to build up dips and fill small holes. Be sure to also paint the inside of the hull to protect the balsa wood in case water get in while operating. After painting the hull the final color, i seal the paint with a clear acrylic inside and out for further water protection.

Remember, this should be fun. Don't give up if it doesn't turn out the way you envisioned. Everyone makes mistakes. Use them as learning tools for your next build. Don't be afraid to try other methods on future builds.
    roboboyo
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 19 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi guys, so Iโ€™m nearly ready to attempt my first build.

Thought Iโ€™d start with a hull that I have obtained templates for. Is it ok to make the Hull out of lite ply and then plank with balsa? Thanks for your continued support guys

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info