• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    First Post . Paint Advice for 1900s tug
    by Murlough66 ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Able Seaman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    24 Posts 23 Replies 13 Photos 68 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Peejay
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ First Post . Paint Advice for 1900s tug
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I was initially going to post a reply, but didnโ€™t, because the subject had gone into steam engines. This is a subject where I have little knowledge, except for building a Midwest single cylinder engine for a yet to be built steam launch.

But every time I log in, the comment template for this thread keeps coming up.

Just to say that I agree regarding the โ€˜big box stores.โ€™ Lowes, here in the states will do a match and sell a small sample for a very reasonable price.
    So many ships . . . and so little time . . .
    Murlough66
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Again. As requested by Gary. Some pics of the engine.
    pressonreguardless
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 16 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Spot on Gary!
    Trev
    GaryLC
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Part Two, there is three tappings, gas in from gas canister, gas out to burner, and boiler steam pressure in from boiler. Hopefully, you have a spare steam tapping on the top of your boiler, if not cut the pipe to the steam engine and fit a tee piece, or fit a small manifold to the existing tapping. If you are running at scale speed with two burners working you are going to blow the pressure valve, which is the last thing you want, and this is where your pressure valve comes in and turns the gas down to a pilot flame. Something to think about anyway. Regards, Gary. (PS. Congratulations on the Stuart Turner three-cylinder compound engine, now that is what I call a project and a very enjoyable one at that.)
    Gary Steam Marine, the only way to go.
    GaryLC
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Murlough, I have finally found the information for you, as I had problems trying to remember the name, which is MICROCOSM and you will find them on eBay, there is a load of very well made fittings which you won't find anywhere else, do not be put off by the fact they are Chinese. I have used the gas regulators in three of my working steamboats and they definitely help to conserve both gas and water, and there are two types manual and automatic. I would recommend the manual valve as you can mount this upright and the control knob is at the top, the automatic valve needs to be laid down and the adjustment is in the middle and not easy to get at access-wise. P5 is the auto press. reg. and costs ยฃ78.00. P5B is the manual press. reg. and costs ยฃ63.00, looking on the bright side the postage is free.
    Murlough66
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Brilliant idea with the silicone tube. I had been sort of planning copper pipe runs with custom made drain cocks somewhat like loco ones with lever actuators I could gang together..
    This automatic gizmo boiler controls sounds interesting but I was trying to keep the boat simple. However it would be good if you could put me in the way of any links to the info.
    Have a look on Stuart Turners website for more tech stuff on the engine. If you have another look at the engine pic I posted you will see the edge of a white cardboard box. It contains a set of Stuart Turners Triple Expansion Engine that I took out a second mortgage to buy. Prob going to take me 2 years to build it ..
    GaryLC
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Murlough, well that was a bit of a surprise and a shock to the system to learn that your engine is ONE INCH bore times two, and a 5" diameter boiler into the bargain. I am now aware that that is not a small bath but it is a large boat, and I am guessing between four to five feet of it? I think you have a reasonable set up there and a very powerful boat into the bargain. It might make a degree of sense to think about fitting an automatic gas regulator that will monitor boiler pressure and switch to a pilot flame say at 40 PSI or whatever setting you chose. This will save on water and improve your running time. I can't see any problem with regard to piping the drain cocks into the separator, you could use silicone tubing with a tee piece between the two cylinders. Looking forward to seeing some more photos of that very interesting engine. Regards, Gary.
    Murlough66
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    The launch engine is 1" bore and 7/8" stroke x 2. I have run it on the boiler in the picture that came from Pendle Steam Boilers who are just down the road from me. It is 5" diameter with 2 burners.
    It ran ok on test and I only want it to run at a realistic rpm of about 120 rpm just like a real un.
    Am still trying to find some pictures that I took of the build.
    One other thing that you may be able to answer is, Can the cylinder drain cocks be fitted with pipes to direct the gunge that comes out of them directly into the oil separator.?
    GaryLC
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Merlough, and having just consulted your first photos, yes the boiler does look on the small side considering the size of the engine, what size is the engine bore and what are the dimensions of the boiler? I normally run a 1/2" bore twin on a 3 1/2" x 6" boiler and that will run for twenty to twenty-five minutes none stop. You definitely need a gas cut-off valve to be on the safe side in case you do run out of water. A boiler feed pump and a bypass valve is the answer to this problem. Or you could go electronic and fit a water level switch wired up to a battery-powered pump motor. I promise that whatever else happens you will not get bored after ten minutes. Regards, Gary.
    Murlough66
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I will take up the advice about a servo gas valve , this is something I had not thought of. My other dilemma is -- should I build a boiler feed pump and water tank.? As I see it the boat will only probably be sailed for a max of 10 minutes before I get bored with it,.
    I think starting with a full boiler should easily give me that duration. Should it????. Its a very steam hungry engine. I will gather some build pictures and post them later.
    Show 14 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info