• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Which motors for my next boat?
    35 Posts ยท 11 Followers ยท 12 Photos ยท 61 Likes
    Began 9 months ago by
    Warrant Officer
    United Kingdom
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 7 months ago by
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    United States
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Dibdawg
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    ๐Ÿ“ Which motors for my next boat?
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Where did you obtain the hull and or plans?? I would like to biuld a Sarinda as well!
    Login To
    Remove Ads

neilw
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    50 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Well, after reading this thread I ordered a couple of kingmodel ESCs, have just bench tested with the BYMS. Did find out Iโ€™d forgotten to grease the prop shafts so once Iโ€™d worked out a fix to reach the grease nipples with the deck in place the bench test was a success.

The BYMS has twin MFA 385 motors so the 20 Amp ESC with blend may be over the top but it works fine. Good value for ยฃ6.11
    steve-d
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks Roy
    All now purchased.
    roycv
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Steve I went on the site you mentioned and saw the esc's but they were about ยฃ7-ยฃ8 each.
    I bought mine last time at 5 units ยฃ14 free postage. < ยฃ3 each including postage.

They are still there at around that price. I buy about 5 at a time, they quote 10 amps and even 20 amps but I am content at 2 - 3 amps but always check the spec for i/p voltage.
    Roy
    roycv
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi yes I use JST red wires.
    A quick look found this advert on ebay. You will need minimum 2 pairs but you might also want to make a Tamiya / JST adapter.
    Below link shows 5 pairs and free postage at about 70p per pair.
    Good luck
    Roy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262719964389?hash=item3d2b5484e5:g:j8wAAOSwU95avM21
    steve-d
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Question for Roy.
    In an earlier post you suggested the Kingmodel ESC/mixer which I have now bought. Have to say it looks really nice.

I think you were saying you bought the matching connectors/wire for the battery and motors. I have searched through the Kingmodel listing but cannot find them.
    Could you please suggest a link?
    AlessandroSPQR
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    61 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Good evening everyone.

I read the word "mathematics" and then I got curious.

I wanted to reread a message that I hadn't given particular weight to because I hadn't fully understood its meaning and it seemed off topic, perhaps even useless.
    However, I thought I had misinterpreted the content.

But is it "mathematics" with a capital "M" or mathematics with a lowercase "m"? Ahahahahaha!

My tone is joking, please don't let anyone take it badly, but I want to be precise.

I reread it and asked myself: "isn't he really commenting on the contents of an electronic item sold on Aliexpress?"
    "Aren't you really commenting on the fact that some data provided by sellers on Aliexpress is not very reliable?"

Yet the more I read it, the more I realized that there was no other explanation.

Do we really evoke the word "mathematics" to comment on the section of electrical cables based on current absorption?

Is there a need for special calculations for quite obvious things?
    Anyone will have seen, inside a car, the section of the cables and the value of the fuses, anyone will have made a comparison and realized that for 320 amp. (in DC supplied continuously) much larger sections would be needed.
    What a sensational find!
    Anyone will have seen a table with the cable sections in mm2 or AWG and the related electrical currents.
    Are we talking about this exactly?
    But even before the cable sections, the connectors are already giving the warnings. The Tamiya connector reaches a certain current capacity then other types of connectors are needed.

In the last two messages I explained twice why I included those links. This alone, in my opinion, should be enough.
    Repetita juvant:
    I expressed my opinions (certainly questionable) on brushed motors, ESC and more.
    Once the choice was based on Roy's advice (which I share) I expressed my personal opinion (this is also debatable) on the casings of electronic devices in general and I showed what I meant with the images of the links.

However, at that price, I would still buy those ESCs if I needed them, even if they don't meet the specifications declared by the seller in the slightest.
    The wires are large enough for the currents that I measure or estimate are actually flowing in a specific situation (certainly not 300 amps, it makes me laugh just thinking about it).
    In any case that section would be protected by the fuses that I use, based on their threshold.
    The price is low and don't worry if they break.
    Of course, it's not just the cables that have to withstand the passage of current, there are the tracks, the individual electronic components, etc. etc.
    Will there also be a difference between an apparatus that costs 5 euros and a similar one that costs 150?
    Furthermore, if you remember, my first (questionable) choice was for the Graupner Gra2880. There are less expensive and more expensive ones.

Well what can I say? If this had been the topic of the topic, perhaps I would have also wondered why sellers indicate these capacities in amperes.
    Who knows if they refer to measurements of transient or peak passages or simply threw in a value at random.
    This wasn't the issue.
    Steve asked some pointed questions.
    Some like Roy, RodC, Scotts, Terry have given precise indications with useful information content.
    Instead, I can't understand what use it could be to say that Ebay has many types of engines for sale and a person can choose what he wants.
    ToraDog
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    69 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    Online: 11 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    "
    Whoa there... Did I miss something?

This is what the Chinese ESCs claim on the aliexpress site:
    "RC Ship & Boat R/C Hobby 6-12V Brushed Motor Speed Controller ESC 320A
    Special attention: this 320A ESC.
    With 3S (12V), only motors not greater than 380 can be used.
    With 2S (8.4v), only motors not greater than 540 can be brought.
    Connecting a motor with more power will cause ESC to burn out.
    Description When connected with motor, it is capable of supplying up to 320 Amps (forward) or 160Amps (backward) of continuous motor current. Its integrated Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) powers the receiver from the motor battery, with automatic cutoff of the motor power to preserve receiver power as the battery becomes depleted. It is small and powerful, which can be used for different type of ship or car."

Did I miss something in my electronics class? Those wires from the ESC are pretty small to handle 320amps "continuous".

Careful what you recommend.

Lew
    Florida, USA "

No Lew, You did not miss anything... It is the NEW math....๐Ÿ˜
    roycv
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    70 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Lewz I have read those claims as well!
    Like you I do not believe them.

These esc's are very small and work OK for me, 10 amps claimed, I find 4 amps works and I do not go higher.

By the way they have a switch on them for turning off the brake function and for the mixer turning off the mixer as well.
    Smallest switches I have ever seen!

Regards
    Roy
    AlessandroSPQR
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    70 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Roy, I take note of that.
    Good to know.
    I can learn from experiences, like yours and that of other long-time modelers, in this forum.
    Show 25 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy