• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Exciters/transducers
    by NPJ πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Warrant Officer)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    36 Posts 35 Replies 5 Photos 25 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    pmdevlin
    Sub-Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Exciters/transducers
    Flag
    Online: 14 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    More dense really. The epo foam used on the ready to fly rc planes is ideal. I used Depron on the fire boat it’s the stuff used to insulate flooring. it was ok but a bit brittle.
    NPJ
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 4 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Great stuff. Really useful.
    Interesting that they do not want boxing in.
    It is the mrrc ones that I intend to use on the Launch. Have Dayton ones on the tug.
    Away at the moment but will check out you YouTube stuff when back.
    Are you saying more open foam/polystyrene works better than the more dense stuff?
    Cheers.
    NPJ
    NPJ
    pmdevlin
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 14 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Im not on here that much, so a little late picking this up. Are you talking about TT25 transducers like the ones Mrrcsound sell/ I suppose they all work the same, I've used these a lot, in planes mostly, and experimented with boats, so can offer some hands on advice.
    Firstly, you don't cut any holes to let sound out, as this isn't how they work. its all about the vibrations. The centre ring is epoxied (that's the best way, they have to be permanent, but with some teasing they can be removed it required, rather than cyno) to the surface, which obviously needs to be flat. The thinner the material, the more sound, but its marginal, as the thinner you go, the less bass, or deeper tones. With planes, the best material by far is the epo foam, so when mounting into a ply or balsa plane they work best going to foam, then the ply, and the same will apply for a boat. 2-3mm is generally the optimum thickness. Remember, the area is going to vibrate, so use an area that can do this, the sides of a hull are ideal. The back of the transducers get hot, so don't cover the back, the heat has to dissipate and once secure, make sure the unit can move in and out, its easy to drip glue in the wrong place and the whole thing gets stuck, it wont vibrate now, so won't do the job.
    Also, its worth epoxying the transducer to 2mm foam, epo that the ready to fly planes works best, its close density, the stuff that packs white goods is poor as its a more open density and falls apart. Once you have this, you can move it around by just holding it against the hull to see where the best sound is.

All this is relevant to the Mrrcsound transducers, I use a number of his sound units, so cant really comment on what you are using as I cant find that info on this thread (did a man read!)
    Here are a couple of my models to give you an ideaπŸ‘

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXFvrkDl7ow&t=207s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OITvPabFHY&t=165s

so these are all Mrrcsound units, and both have two tt25 transducers either side ogf the hull and fuselage.

With the Mrrcsound systems, you can use two tt25, if you want an additional two, then an aux amp is required
    hope that helps!
    Paul
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXFvrkDl7ow&t=207s
    πŸ”—
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OITvPabFHY&t=165s
    πŸ”—
    Fireboat twin sound unit test
    ▢️
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 31 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    A thin dense foam might be good, in case sticking it hard to the hull dampens the propagation along the hull side.
    If that does seem to happen leave it off, but bench tests are not much good for this sort of thing, only the acid test on the wet stuff is really usefulπŸ˜‰
    Doug 😎
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    NPJ
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Great stuff. I can do that whilst waiting for the sealer to come.

Do I need to isolate (dense foam) the container from the hull or can I stick it directly on?

NPJ
    NPJ
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Arternoon Neville,
    If you're happy with the way they work in the Richardson then leave the covers off.
    If you want to experiment fit covers around the transducer but not touching it, analogous to speaker cabinetsπŸ˜‰ For simplicity it can be square/cubic in form, with the back about 1cm from the back of the transducer. Glue some thin, fairly dense foam rubber in the back.
    With luck this will concentrate more noise outside where you want it.
    The flyboys cut a hole in the fuselage and cover it with gauze, just like a Hi-Fi box. NOT very practicable for a boat😲
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    NPJ
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    With regard to the transducers.

I did not cover the backs of the ones in the Richardson Tug, but will do with these.

Do the covers sit on the transducer ring or pass over the lot and stick to the hull?

NPJ
    NPJ
    onetenor
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I got some of the rubber polishing buffs. They work well so I ordered some more.They wear down quickly though. Wore one out doing most of one engine.πŸ‘ Oops wrong thread.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks John, have a good set set of milling, routing, grinding, drilling, finishing, polishing tools for my Dremel and Proxxon.
    Thinks! We should continue this in the Hobby Chit Chat section; thread 'Useful Tools'? before we overload Neville's thread too much!
    Will reply re emoticon and keyboard in 'Anything else'!
    Cheers, Doug

BTW: This link should work folks!
    https://www.manomano.co.uk/miscellaneous-multi-tool-accessor...
    https://www.manomano.co.uk/miscellaneous-multi-tool-accessories/rotary-tool-rubber-polishing-point-set-6pce-6mm-dia-6432568
    πŸ”—
    onetenor
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    These look useful Doug.I just ordered some----https://www.manomano.co.uk/miscellaneous-multi-tool-accessor... Also nice cross slide on Bang good but you have one--or two don't you. Boat transporter was the nice silver saloon on my drive which I stupidly let go to scrapπŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜­πŸ‘. We need a thumbs down emoticon here.Hasta la vista senor. P.S. Why aren't keyboards standardised. For instance no END button on mine or accent tabs. Like cedillas etc.
    https://www.manomano.co.uk/miscellaneous-multi-tool-accessories/rotary-tool-rubber-polishing-point-set-6pce-6mm-dia-6432568.
    πŸ”—
    Show 26 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info