I understand the confusion as there is almost too much infor nation on the web, much of it is mis-leading. I have been using this technology for 12 years now and have owned and used at least 8 Spektrum receiver
s. Here's my take:
1. You need a DSM2 or DSMX Transmitter, that simple.
2. My first photo shows a Spektrum AR7000 RX in my tugboat
. it's a nice RX, IS 7 channel
with an addition satellite received. it's overkill for a boat that just needs a couple of channel
s and doesn't fall to earth in a failure. Originally purchased for an RC Airplane, it's pricey at $90 to $100 USD. OUCH.
3. Ti try the less expensive RX's available no, first I tried OrangeRX and bought 3, none of which ever worked, a problem with China's lack of quality control.
4. Recently p, I needed two more RXs for boat build
s and read that LemonRX was doing pretty good. Last two photos are of the Lemon, model
LM0034. They work great and bind very easy, best of all they are $16 USD ! www.lemon-rx.com
5. One caveat with the lemon, they come just as shown in photo....no documentation. You need to look up on the internet which port is which and how to bind. Took me about 10 minute, bu is something to consider if this is your first hookup. Knowing which set of prongs go to what channel
Personally, in the future, I am going to buy more Lemons...
Hope this helps, Ask any question that you may have, we are all hear to help each other.