• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    1950s sea commander refurb.
    by Colin H πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Lieutenant)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    13 Posts 12 Replies 10 Photos 8 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    boaty
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ 1950s sea commander refurb.
    Flag
    Online: 24 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Good to see an early Sea Commander being restored. My first experience of seeing a Sea Commander was in early 1961 when I was eight years old. I was in Coronation Park in Crosby just outside Liverpool and dad got talking to the owner who said he had been a radar technician in WW2 and he built the radio control himself. The motor of course being a Taycol.
    Many years later I restored two Sea Commanders and still have one of them which I sail quite often.
    Well done Aerokits.

Boaty😎
    Dave Keech
    onetenor
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 20 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    One thing I have done which takes a bit of effort is to use card to make an approximate frame/ bulkhead as near as you can. Then trim and try until it fits as it should then trace onto wood of choice. Cut that out marginally oversize and sand/plane to fit and once happy glue in place. You should be able to work it out from the plans. Cut two sets and keep one for future reference.πŸ‘πŸ˜€
    DodgyGeezer
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 21 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    ".....Thanks for all your comments and input. What i really need now is a copy of the templates sheet so that i can cut some new parts to replace some of the missing ones ....."

There was never a 'templates sheet', of course. There were just the original kit parts. This is a fundamental problem with trying to 'save' old model boat plans. The aircraft plans usually have all parts described precisely. Many - possibly most - boat kits are essentially sets of parts with assembly instructions.

So, if you need to reproduce an old kit, you need to include part templates as well. Which means a lot of work for someone. Not only do you have to obtain an example of the original kit, measure it up and draw it using a CAD package, but you also have to allow for the fact that wood changes, and that die-cut parts may be cut badly, and so what you have measured may need correcting - sometimes quite extensively.

Here's a classic example - the old Yeoman MINX, with templates drawn up...
    Colin H
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks for all your comments and input. What i really need now is a copy of the templates sheet so that i can cut some new parts to replace some of the missing ones . I have ordered a new rudder, and new plexi glass for the windows. Already in hand is an Mtronics Viper marine 25 amp ESC. 12 volt 7ah battery, Futaba 27 or 40 Mhz RX. Futaba servo. Just awaiting the motor from Doug (RN in Munich).
    We are going to repaint the Hull in White, Cabin sides in Dark Blue, Cabin roofs in White. The decks will be left as my dad made them, just cleaned and a fresh coat of varnish. the inside of the hull is well sealed already with bitumen (original) which is still allright.
    Next stage start rubbing down the hull ready for the glass cloth and Ezekote resin. at least i can do this indoors in the warm, workshop too d*** cold.
    Thats all for today shipmates, more to come, Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    DodgyGeezer
    Flag
    Online: 21 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    ".......If you have a computer, they usually come with some basic drawing tools like "Paint" or use paint.net.... Take the image and open with Paint, then just use the rectangular select tool to pick what you want to enlarge. Then just crop it and you have a nice separate image to save........"

The fully-featured Open Source image processing package is called 'The Gimp'.

You can download it for free, and it enables you to perform any image manipulation process you like - matching professional packages like Photoshop.

I use it to create full drawings of vintage model boat plans which are often sent to me as a set of partial A4-sized scans. These can easily be re-sized, rotated, matched up and stitched together to make a full-sized drawing. For example, look at any of the Stirling plans on my Old Boats website:
    http://oldboats.tk/Sterling1.html
    http://oldboats.tk/Sterling1.html
    πŸ”—
    Colin H
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Joe. I will have to use local print shop as I don't have a printer at present.
    I do remember how to do it myself, I have various drawing packages, from when I was working. I'm only 69 so still learning.
    Cheers Colin.
    Joe727
    Flag
    Online: 11 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Collin, What a great project... I have recently been taking small images and blowing them up by selecting smaller areas, say the cabin roof only, then printing that on A4. Usually these files have high enough resolution to make some very readable files.

if you have a computer, they usually come with some basic drawing tools like "Paint" or use paint.net.... Take the image and open with Paint, then just use the rectangular select tool to pick what you want to enlarge. Then just crop it and you have a nice separate image to save. Be sure you save under a different name so as not to loose the original file. I may be giving you information that you already know, don't mean to insult..

See my photo of some I did last night, pasted about six together to see the 1M boat sections. These are rough as they come from an image only 16cm wide, but good enough for me to build from given some drafting.

Good luck with the build, I will be watching. Joe
    onetenor
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 20 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Brill Colin I helped Marg with her presentation cakes but owt else I was on my own.πŸ˜€πŸ‘
    TOWN3810
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi original plans are sold on Ebay on model boats page cheers Ian
    Colin H
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Canabus, I'll see if I can get it blown up, it is a bit hard to read on A4 printout. But at least I can see what it should look like.
    The good lady says thanks as well, we share all our hobbies, fishing, photography, modelling., only one I can't get into is gardening. She even helps with the car repairs and servicing.
    Think on ladies your missing out. πŸ‘
    Cheers Colin.
    Show 3 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info