• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Abergavenny steam and vintage show.
    by Colin H πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Lieutenant)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    13 Posts 12 Replies 14 Photos 13 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    redpmg
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Abergavenny steam and vintage show.
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Colin . would be quite reluctant to admit how many half finished boats I possess - shall we say quite a few, at present there are about 15 completed that are still with me . Gave my grandson a large Ripmax speed boat - loves it but restricted to their swimming pool which is a bit small. (lots of home pools in SA). Making up a kit from a Graham Goodchild design to build with him when he visits in August. - easy and a more appropriate size. Tried to get my son interested but he was among the first of the IT generation - so computers got him to the extent its now his life's work. Did not help when aged about seven he fell into the harbour at our clubs dam whilst running my Rhodesian Patrol Boat - very proud of not getting the transmitter wet - but embarrassed and seemingly lost interest after that. Now he is a lot older and moving with work to Seattle it might be easier to get him interested as its got a lot of sailing places around.............
    Saddest loss was a boat given by an old friend of the family - an aluminum hulled motor yacht driven by a Taycol "Star" via the then usual 4 1/2 volt cycle lamp battery. Saw the same hull on Ebay also with a Star fitted some years ago but was unable to come up with the 50 odd quid they wanted. Think it possibly could have been a Basset Lowke yacht hull available in those long ago days , to fit out with your own deck & superstructure as our old friend did.
    Martin555
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 30 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Colin,
    I like that you are encouraging the younger generation to get in to this hobby.

Martin.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    Colin H
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 40 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Redpmg, you're comments are a welcome change to us both. Some people think we are strange having such large collections of models. My wife used to design and build 1/12th scale dolls houses. But she got bored at the shows with me and my boats, so when she inherited her uncles collection of trucks she decided to build on this and has doubled this collection over the last few years. My love of boats started at a very young age, as my parents were both in the Royal Navy and my dad was a keen modeller, plus we had family boats right up to my dad's death in 2008. So we spent our summers out on the North Sea until dad retired in 1985 when he and mum moved to Aberystwyth on the Welsh coast. New waters to sail and fish in the Irish Sea. So boat modelling is a part of life, which I love to share and encourage anyone who shows an interest. My son is just getting started as my grandson who is 4 years old is really keen and I am teaching him how to control and manoeuver my tugs. We are building him a tug of his own later this year. Sorry about the waffling on but I get carried away.
    Cheers Colin. 😊
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    redpmg
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Really great collection of boats and lorries between you - wish I still had the first boat I built (own design yacht) but its probably still rotting away at the bottom of the Leopard Rock swimming pool in whats now Zimbabwe.
    Did you build entirely on your own or did you get some help? Gave up on my patrol boat aged about 10 as I could not get the skins to fit - not knowing the trick of wetting the ply first. Built a hobbies Anglian instead - sadly also long gone - lost in a move.
    As an aside George Turner told me he designed a lot of models for LLedo and Corgi so I suspect there's a few among your wife's collection. Pity he did not continue with his boat kits - they were a real treat - but he said he got bored !
    Colin H
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Ed,
    Thanks I'll pass on your comments to her, she has about 600 at present, also a 1/72scale Billy Smarts Circus that she takes to some of the shows, looks like I'll have to build a bigger trailer later this year as both our collections are growing.
    Cheers Colin and Caroline.
    figtree7nts
    Commodore
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Collin,

Your Wife has an Impressive collection of Lorries!πŸ‘

Cheers, Ed
    "Fair winds calm Seas" 73's
    Colin H
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    A few pics, if they manage to upload.
    Cheers Colin.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 42 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Colin,
    So how'd it go?
    Hope you managed to get a convenient parking space πŸ‘
    and took lotsa picsπŸ˜‰
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 42 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Bon chance mon amiπŸ‘
    Hope you get time to look around the show and take some pics for usπŸ‘
    Cheers, Doug😎
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Colin H
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Morning Doug, yes you spotted it, that was the first boat I ever built back in 1957 my 8th birthday present.
    Just off now back to the show, need to be in showground before 7am to get a parking spot for car and trailer.
    Cheers Colin. πŸ‘
    Show 3 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info