• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Batteries in a DX5e
    by Westquay πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Commander)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    96 Posts 95 Replies 14 Photos 43 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    jbkiwi
    Captain
    πŸ“ Batteries in a DX5e
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    No worries mate !
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Batteries in a DX5e
    Flag
    Online: 26 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    "But I think that the idea of video reports has something going for it."
    Agreed DodgyπŸ‘ A 'virtual Roving Reporter' would be nice.
    "Does the site have a Youtube Channel?"
    Not that I'm aware of, don't think so either.
    That would be a question for Fireboat (Stephen), but I'm sure if there was one I would have stumbled across it by now.
    As mentioned before; I think if we want to continue this theme we should start a new thread under 'Site related stuff'.
    Martin's original question was answered way below so we should terminate this thread now.
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    DodgyGeezer
    Sub-Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Batteries in a DX5e
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Certainly, if you wish. It looks as if the different connection capabilities of many possible attendees would make video chats hard anyway.

But I think that the idea of video reports has something going for it. Does the site have a Youtube Channel? We could have our own 'roving reporter'...
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Batteries in a DX5e
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi John
    " Would be great if we could work out a cheap way to video group chat."
    "That's another fine mess you got us into Olly"!
    πŸ˜πŸ˜‚ Cheers, Doug 😎
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Batteries in a DX5e
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    "But the number of signals multiplexed into each channel is still a factor in the bandwidth you will obtain. "
    I see you are trying to teach an old COMMS engineer to suck eggs Dodgy!πŸ˜‰
    You have your views / interpretation, I have mine.
    Let's just leave it at that.
    Ciao, Doug
    jbkiwi
    Captain
    πŸ“ Batteries in a DX5e
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I'm almost the same as you Doug. 52.34 down and 9.54 up and I'm on the cheapest plan possible and the speeds are pretty much what I pay for on my fiber connection. Can go higher, but of course the cost follows it. I only just manage to use 60 GB a month (my plan allowance) and sometimes only use 40-50, so it suits me. Was on unlimited but it was wasted on me.
    DodgyGeezer
    Sub-Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Batteries in a DX5e
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    "...At the moment you cannot find out what your contention ratio is. The average used to be 50:1 for home customers and 20:1 for businesses, but improvements to broadband infrastructure have rendered these figures obsolete...."

Ah - I see what you're thinking. The statement that the figures are 'obsolete' refers not to the fact that speeds have increased, but to the fact that these ratios used to be fixed. For all modern networks they are now dynamic, which is why you cannot 'find out what it is'. It is changing all the time. But the number of signals multiplexed into each channel is still a factor in the bandwidth you will obtain.

Dynamic contention rations are set by algorithms, and modified on the fly by humans with knowledge of the likely load. Mobile phone bandwidth, for instance, would be increased considerably around Wembley during a Cup Final. Extra mobile Base Stations are put in place during events like Glastonbury to maintain adequate service. So contention ratios are not 'just statistical planning tools' - they really have an effect. If you monitor your service throughout the day you should see the network 'breathe' - expand and contract as the load comes on and off it. Unless, I suppose, you are on a link which is kept at a static high service level for Emergency Network purposes...

"...Bad luck with your connection DG ☹️...."

I'm not unhappy about my connection - it's likely to be as good as fibre can make it. The point is that I have considerable local contention, since I run several web servers and other services through the same connection. Anything I measure on my local browser is affected by other computer users in the building, external phones using the local hot-spot and, of course, people browsing the web pages or downloading. I could only get a 'best service' reading by closing all this down - which would make the kids and wife unhappy, at the very least... :( Though it might save me a fortune on internet purchases of dresses and shoes...😊
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Batteries in a DX5e
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Just ran another quick check using the local Vodafone Kabel Deutschland server: 50.9/8.9Mbps 😊 Earlier I ran a test using T-Com's own Speed Checker; similar results. But Speed-io gives more info and a choice of servers. I even tried one in Innsbruck, coupla hundred km away in Austria. Not so good but still usable.

Seems a weird situation altogether for you guys Red, my commiserations!☹️
    🀞 for the new Google cable!
    Doug
    redpmg
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ Batteries in a DX5e
    Flag
    Online: 9 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Dont know what you have all got to grumble about - we probably have the slowest internet around - plus the fact its the most expensive in Africa too. Half the time connections are dropped when logged into gmail to add insult to injury. Something to do with bandwidths that are not available says our supplier - not that we tend to believe it all, There has been a big scene with fibre cable being laid all over the country - main centres first of course but Google apparently will be laying another cable from Europe to be completed by the end of next year which will supposedly speed things up. Not holding our breath.
    Notice another thread hijacked by us all..........
    Colin H
    Commander
    πŸ“ Batteries in a DX5e
    Flag
    Online: 19 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    We've just been surveyed for it, the surveyor told us it is just over 30 miles away at present, the other side of the county. But he said that they would start in our area in October 2021 but it will go live in early 2022.
    BT aren't having anything to do with it, it's a private company hired by the county council. But anything to do with the local council takes ages. The best of it is that the SAS CAMP have had fibre since they moved here. Pity we can't link to that as they have mega speed. That's why it takes ages to do my research. Got to go visitors just arriving.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Show 86 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info