• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Movies.
    by jbkiwi πŸ‡³πŸ‡Ώ ( Lieutenant)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    15 Posts 14 Replies 9 Photos 7 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Cashrc
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Movies.
    Flag
    Online: 25 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I usually don’t make a habit of vegging in front of the TV, but I watched β€œThe Finest Hours”, about the coast guard small boat rescue in the early 50s, then TCM had an Errol Flynn tribute, so I watched β€œRobin Hood”, β€œCaptain Blood”, part of β€œThe Seahawks”, and β€œGentleman Jim”
    Had my fun, now it’s chore day😝
    redpmg
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Movies.
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Maybe they deleted that part - as it really did spoil the movie - was a good one otherwise. Perhaps its like records where they change tracks to suit venues Had two different versions of one of the Rovers LP 's at one time - one from the UK and tother from SA. Believe it was a copyright issue.
    jbkiwi
    Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Movies.
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Missing the landing part in the full movie I watched last night Red, 2 versions perhaps? Didn't realize there was a Kiwi actress (Barbara Ewing) in it till later.
    redpmg
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Movies.
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    How about "The Eye of The Needle" - Where the "Nadel" is landed by an Eboat in the Essex? marshes - the Eboat looked suspiciously like 102...... Brilliant acting by Donald Sutherland as usual - but the fake start rather spoilt it for me ..........
    Bit like seeing a pair of machine guns being fired by a Piper Cherokee 180 pretending to be a Messerschmidt 108 Taifun.
    octman
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Movies.
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    "For those in peril" was on the Talking Pictures channel only a couple of weeks ago. Lots of well known faces whose names I could not remember!!

Chris
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Movies.
    Flag
    Online: 22 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    and they couldn't even spell Michael Redgrave's name right on the remastered version! πŸ™„
    On the other hand-
    "obviously not a big budget movie"
    Were there any "big budgets" back in those austere post war times?
    Guess they had to go with what they had / could afford and tried to make an entertaining ''hero worship" film to get bums on seats rather than a documentary.
    You're right; a lot of the acting was pretty hammy πŸ€” but the boat details are good, as long as you know what you are supposed to be looking atπŸ˜‰
    See attached pics of a 100 series and the 2561 Hants & Dorset πŸ˜‰
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    redpmg
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Movies.
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Apologies for hijacking the thread - but thinking about the book side - has anyone out there come across the novels by Brian Callison - definitely my favourite author . Writes about the Merchant Navy not the military. Although one book among others "The Judas Ship" certainly does involve the war - outstanding . There is also a tongue in cheek series about a certain Edward Trapp and his sidekick hard man Gorbals Willie (from Glasgow of course). Brilliantly written one of his best is "A Ship is Dying" which takes place over 11 minutes after she strikes an half sunken object. Have all of his books in paperback- reread them every couple of years. Unlike certain other naval authors the plots are not predictable.
    Cant understand why not one of his books has been filmed
    redpmg
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Movies.
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    How about The African Queen - she ended up as a torpedo boat in the end............ The movie mucked about the ending a bit however .
    Have the DVD which was a freebie with a newspaper in the UK, the penguin book version and had three stories of the actual launches Mimi & Tutu which inspired the story. Two of those are fictionalised and the other factual. The leader of the expedition seemed a very strange choice Commander Spicer Simpson if memory serves - one thinks that he was set to be the scapegoat if it failed - which everybody else seemed to believe. Very interesting story about the struggle to get the boats overland to the lake as they were fragile . Incidentally the plans for Mimi & Tutu are available from the National Maritime Museum in UK.
    To cap it all one of my cousins is married to C S Foresters son - although I must confess they live in Canada and I have never met him......
    Although Forester was mainly known for his Hornblower series personally much prefer his WW2 books - The Ship and The Good Shepherd
    jbkiwi
    Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Movies.
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Doug, just dragged out the book I have 'The sea Shall Not have Them' It's funny how things are different between the book (1954), the movie and the re mastered copy. In the book the ASR boat is no 7525 (unknown type, but on the cover looks like a Maiami ), in the movie it's a British Power Boat 'Hants and Dorset'with the number 2561. On the cover of the remastered movie the boat is a 100 series HSL with the number 2561 which is totally incorrect as they only went from 100-121. Much poetic licence and lack of research methinks.
    Could have been a lot more accurate as the boats were mostly all still in use back then.
    The original movie is on Youtube as well which is great (obviously not a big budget movie though, as the acting and scenes are pretty crap) but the boats save it. Pics are a few shots from the movie , book and remastered cover.
    The author of the book should have known better as he served on the ASR boats in the war.
    Nerys
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Movies.
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The 'Medusa' in the 'Riddle of the Sands, is a yacht owned by a retired German Naval Officer. Dollman, he is trying to keep 'Dulcibella' away from the area where the German invasion barges are moored.
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Show 5 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info