• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    looking for plans
    by jacko ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Warrant Officer)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    44 Posts 43 Replies 9 Photos 62 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    KenThompson
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ“ looking for plans
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Not much unlike riveting really, Iโ€™ve been on the dolly end a few times, and glad when the hooter went for tea break.
    That brings back memories of my aircraft fitting days hehe.
    May the wind always be always where you want it .
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ looking for plans
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    If you could get hold of a book called 'Ronde en Platbodem jachten' by Mr.Dr.T.Huitema, published in 1977, that has a wealth of plans and construction details of many different types of Dutch barge from the well known Boiers, Botters and Hoogars to many of the less known regional boats. The text is in Dutch of course, but it's the pictures that we are looking at.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    ted
    Recruit
    ๐Ÿ“ looking for plans
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Yes thanks for that address. as I said i did play with radio control a/c for a while but then moved on to the real thing and did 30 years as a commercial pilot. I have now been retired 13 years and live in the whiled west of Ireland and no clubs within 200 miles. I do also play with a Myford lathe but just fancy the idea of building the dutch sailing barge not to sail just to build.
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ looking for plans
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Roves are like washers only slightly domed. Copper nails are square sectioned. They were knocked through the two planks (or whatever), the rove put over the nail on the inside, the nail trimmed to about 1/8 inch and then tapped with the ball of a small hammer until it was flattened onto the rove, tightening it up and holding it on. The apprentice would be underneath the boat holding a lump of metal with a round protrusion, called a dolly, against the head of the nail so that it would not be knocked out by the work going on inside. There would be a nail about every four inches along the length of the plank.

Hope that's understandable.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ looking for plans
    Flag
    Online: 20 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    "roves" Nerys ???
    Showing my higorance again ๐Ÿค”
    Roving rivets? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    No wonder the apprentice had problems!!๐Ÿ˜
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ looking for plans
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ted,
    I'm a great admirer of the many and varied Dutch Barges and am surprised that there is only one kit available in the UK. I have been contemplating building one for some time. I have several books (Dutch) which give very good drawings of many different types, but I don't think they are really adequate to build a model from. I think when I've finished my current programme of Thames Barge building I might tackle a Dutchman but that would be a somewhat hit and miss effort based on my interpretation of the drawings.

All this is not the slightest use to you, but I want you to know that somebody else has a similar desire.
    Martin555
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ looking for plans
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I agree with you Colin,
    I ask some silly question knowing that I will get proper answers and maybe a few comical ones.
    Also when new Guys read the threads they will know that they will be helped no matter how silly a question may seem.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    Colin H
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ looking for plans
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Welcome aboard Ted.
    Your in the right place to find what you want here. Sometimes you may have to wait a whole day for the replies to arrive as some members have jobs, and as you can see from the site we are all around the world.
    A world that's shrunk with the passion for boating.
    Happy hunting and don't worry about asking daft questions.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    redpmg
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ looking for plans
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Mantua make a kit for one - Constructo used to make a Botter (Dutch barge) - out of production but you may find on eBay. I have a plan of a Barge Yacht - not quite the same thing - but Dodgy is right in that you should start on something simpler to get your hand in again - the EeZeBilts have the advantage of being relatively inexpensive whilst the Mantua Kit is in the region of 130 euros plus postage.
    DodgyGeezer
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ looking for plans
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    With radio controlled aircraft beginners were warned against seeing the hobby on the telly and wanting to go out and build a 10ft 4 engine Lancaster as their first model.

Boats are not so bad, but it is still a good idea to start with a simple model to learn the ropes. I have a web site with free plans for beginners models at http://www.eezebilt.tk , but you may find a commercial kit more to your taste..?

If you have not touched radio control for a long time, you may also need to familiarise yourself with the changes in radio and electric power which have taken place - depending on how long 100 years is!

The common advice is to find a club near you - at the least find a place near you where you can sail - and talk to people with model boats there. That's the way to get practical tips about being able to follow this hobby in your chosen location...
    http://www.eezebilt.tk
    ๐Ÿ”—
    Show 34 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info