• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Extra channels
    by Martin555 ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Captain)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    17 Posts 16 Replies 2 Photos 31 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    DodgyGeezer
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Extra channels
    Flag
    Online: 3 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I believe that some large model aircraft with multiple engines have a 'Flight Engineer' who is entirely responsible for engine management, with his own separate radio system. But that's rather a special case...
    jbkiwi
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Extra channels
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Re - I still don't understand why JB needs two RXs in his boat either.
    I'm supplying a free shovel Doug (shovel-Doug- get it.๐Ÿ˜‚) The reason I have 2 RXs is that the new compact sound unit has a main power in and a 'throttle' lead to the RX (self contained module with speaker). The 'throttle' lead is Siamesed with the ESC throttle lead then to the RX.
    The other unit is a multi function module with a separate speaker, and for the throttle, it has a port for the throttle lead from the RX which then goes out a port in the other end for the ESC throttle lead.
    I am using a converted Mode 2 TX (twin throttles) so 1 ESC/sound for STBD is on r/h stick (ex elev) and the Port side is on the left hand stick (ex Thro). If you plug the new unit into port no 3 (throttle ) and the other into the elev channel you get some sort of feedback (even took out the Pos wire,- still does it. Solved by using ch3 on the second RX,
    Can you dig it? I didn't get where I am today by not confusing people!!๐Ÿ˜
    JB
    Martin555
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ“ Extra channels
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I think this is the type of telephone system that DG was mentioning.
    Old school but interesting!
    With a little imagination you could operate all sorts of bits a piece.

https://youtu.be/8KDP7_6OdE0

Martin555.
    https://youtu.be/8KDP7_6OdE0
    ๐Ÿ”—
    โ–ถ๏ธ
    If it looks right it probably is.
    jbkiwi
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Extra channels
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Re -Would it be possible to fit two RXs's in to a boat,
    You could do Martin, but if you switch one RX off, whatever you were controlling with it will stop (ie servo powered radar etc) and you will have no control for throttle/ rudder etc (if they were on that RX)
    Martin555
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ“ Extra channels
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks Guys,
    It is not something that I will be doing, it was only something that was buzzing around in my head.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    DodgyGeezer
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Extra channels
    Flag
    Online: 3 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Those of us with long memories might recall the difference between the words 'channel' and 'function'.

Nowadays a 'channel' is thought of as a stream of information dedicated to a single task - such as working a rudder. That stream carries 'proportional' positioning information, and so can be thought of as carrying a set of theoretically infinite positions between 0% and 100%. If it was not used to position a servo, it might be used to control a 100-position switch, for instance!

In the early days of radio control, we did not have the luxury of multiple channels, each carrying proportional information, sent as a single frame which could be separated out and sent to different servos. We had a signal - it was either on or off. If we wanted to do more than one thing, we had to process the signal ourselves - usually mechanically. One 'channel' meant one signal.

In its basic form we used an 'escapement' - a bit of mechanics which switched its state once every time it was given a signal pulse. So one pulse would move a bi-directional mechanism from neutral to 'right', and the next pulse would move it to 'left'. For model boats quite complex switching systems could created, driven by a single channel. They were like old telephone dials, whereby a 10-position switch could be pulsed round one click at a time. if you combined that with a mechanical delay on each position you could select one action without initiating all the others - if you were quick!

More sophisticated kits had multiple channels - giving one switch for left, and another for right, a third for 'up' and so on. Full control of an aircraft needed 8 channels, and you needed some extra ones to give in-flight trim!

When proportional systems came out the old use of the word 'channel' became redundant - each proportional channel was the equivalent of an infinite number of 'single channels' - and for a while the word 'function' was used. So what would have been a 4-channel transmitter became a 2-function transmitter....

Nowadays we do everything electrically, but it would be possible to create a mechanical device which would give Martin multiple switches
    running off a single proportional 'function'....
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Extra channels
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Exactly Peter๐Ÿ‘
    With a little ingenuity you can get 16 or more functions out of a 4 or 6 channel set anyway.
    Maybe not simultaneously, but who's got 16 or more fingers and thumbs? ๐Ÿ˜
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    MouldBuilder
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ“ Extra channels
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Some Tx`s have 16, even 24 channels available for various functions. These can be run off of two receivers as there are 16 separate channels available. All you have to do is to make sure that the receivers are programmed so that one covers 1-8 and the other 9-16 thus no conflict. In the case that Martin is talking about, the Tx would only have 4 channels available so two 4 channel receivers if bound and used together would conflict. This is why only one receiver could be supplied with power at any one time. Cannot think why you would want to do it though as multi channel sets can be purchased relatively cheaply.
    Sorry for the novel Colin but it is difficult to explain.
    I promise I will finish a boat project before I start another......Maybe.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Extra channels
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Colin,
    No sweat, if we ignore the unnecessary complication of switching from one to t'other๐Ÿ˜‰
    What JB seems to have done is to simply fit two RXs which are both powered up.
    What you have to remember is that both RXs will react the same way to the TX!
    Say you have the throttle on CH1 of RX1.
    Then whenever you give gas (perhaps not the best expression for gentlemen of our advanced ages๐Ÿ˜ฎ) anyway, whatever function is connected to CH1 on RX2 will react simultaneously.
    This would have the same effect as simply using a Y cable to activate two functions on one channel of a single RX.
    Alles klar Herr Kommissar? ๐Ÿ˜

What Martin was pondering was using two independent RXs and switching between them.
    As outlined below it could be done but you'd lose 1 Ch from each RX just to do the switching.
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Colin H
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Extra channels
    Flag
    Online: 58 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    How is it possible to get the 2 rx's to work from one tx. Please keep your answer simple, as I am a rc novice over 6 channels.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Show 7 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info