• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    First Disaster
    by redpmg ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ( Lieutenant Commander)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    39 Posts 38 Replies 17 Photos 59 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    redpmg
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ First Disaster
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Stumbled across this today - this is what the original disaster site looks like now.........
    redpmg
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ First Disaster
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    We had two bases Cash & Doug - one for ground crew training and the Bomber / Helicopter/ Transport Squadrons - the other Aircrew training base was the real operational one - Fighter / Ground Attack / Trainer Squadrons etc etc. Much preferred the operational one - not much saluting and far less bull.
    Forward airfields were the best however - if you saluted anyone they asked what you thought you were doing - all in it together. Heli pilots got up to some real mischief - watched one day as every single toilet roll on the FAF floated gently down from the sky. Some were never seen again - to make it worse they were a pale pink ! (which fact the nearby army base held over our heads for a very long time ) The Alo was heading back to main base for repairs and the pax going on R&R - must have spent hours taping the ends to the Alo cockpit to be able to roll them out en masse......... All bodies on base were searching for hours to retrieve enough until re supply - but not an official word was ever said about it........

All this panic buying reminded me of the incident.........

Same pilot got flight crew to fit very large speakers to his Alo gunship - played Rodrigo's music ( Cold Fact / Sugar Man etc ) - as in Apocalypse Now - except in the movie they used Wagners 'Ride of The Valkyries" of course
    Cashrc
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ First Disaster
    Flag
    Online: 16 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I was thinking of basic at Lackland....first thing we learned was โ€œyour name is Airman, my name is SIR!!โ€๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ First Disaster
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    "Polishing brass is better than cleaning the latrine๐Ÿคฃ "
    Now there speaks the voice of experience Cash๐Ÿ˜
    Guess the latrines at Ramstein were pretty big too ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Cashrc
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ First Disaster
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Polishing brass is better than cleaning the latrine๐Ÿคฃ
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ First Disaster
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    No. not this time Commodore,
    We'll let you off with cleaning the Admiral's bathroom with a toothbrush!
    Report to Vice Admiral Martin. 'At the rush'!!
    ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    jbkiwi
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ“ First Disaster
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Re - It's the Ersatz coffee and Schnapps that does it JB ๐Ÿ™Š
    Oh no sir! not painting the base driveway stones with a model brush, or polishing the brass nail heads in the barracks floors with Brasso again ?!๐Ÿ˜ด
    JB
    redpmg
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ First Disaster
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    That's a few good stories Cash - funny some of my model aircraft succumbed to a Ronden Flash Bomb a few seconds after take off - (smaller version of what the army uses on exercises) - spurts before exploding some 10 to 15 seconds later - very loud and brilliant flash as they contained Aluminum powder.

We used to play with the African version of the Tarantula - common name Baboon spider - did not think much of it till finding out some Tarantulas were highly poisonous - you were right to not enjoy its company .
    Cashrc
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ First Disaster
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Iโ€™ve had a couple of disasters. Yโ€™all know the most recent, the loss of the PT15s superstructure with all hands. Before that, many years ago, probably about 1979-80 or so, I built a Lindberg Blue Devil destroyer. I had an old Citizen-Ship 27mhz full house full proportional system that my loving aunt bought for me around 1975. The original intent was to help me get into RC flying, but the set was way obsolete by then, and the channel I was on was right next to channel 19 on the then very active CB channel, so it was never flown. Anyway, I was taking a break from flying 1/2a u-control, and decided to rc the Blue Devil. One channel, rudder only, dry cells for power. Took her to the local rock pit, a runoff and rain filled quarry, put her in, think she worked for 2 minutes, had to fish her out. Oh, and a tarantula got a little close and Iโ€™m not really friendly with big furry spiders. The Blue Devil ended her career carrying a load of fireworks that somehow ignited on a routine patrol in our creek.
    The worst disaster was all my fault. While stationed in Germany I built a few boats, mostly 6 and 7 cell nicad fast electrics. I had built a Graupner Eco Speed, which I truly loved. We ran at a small lake near Landstuhl and there was a pier I would make a fast pass at and turn at the last second..playing chicken. Anyway, I grazed, no hit the pier one day, no damage except for a small near the waterline, but as long as the boat was moving, it was a non issue..I would fix it later...but didnโ€™t. Mistake number 1.
    A few months later I installed a slightly hotter motor and took her out. I was still using Tamiya connectors as I hadnโ€™t changed them to the green Multplex connectors I use to this day. Oopsie number 2. Anyway, during the day the plug melted, and I wanted to make ONE MORE RUN, so I stripped the wires and tied them together....of course, she lot power middle of the lake. Remember the crack? Now, itโ€™s below the water line since the boats not moving....and she took on water and sunk. Einstein move number 3.
    We recovered the boat, dried her out, I fixed the crack, installed a new esc and she was good.
    We had some fun with this though. There were a couple of kids that we would let run some of our boats, one of them handled the Eco Speed nicely, and Iโ€™d let him drive it from time to time. We showed up the weekend after the sinking, and he asked โ€œWo ist kleine rennboot?โ€ I answered โ€œunter wasserโ€in my best broken German. Then I said blub-blub-blub and made a sinking motion with my hand. He answered โ€œblub-blub-blub?...nicht gut!!โ€
    My buddy watched the whole exchange and got quite tickled by it.๐Ÿคฃ
    I picked up a NIB Eco-Speed off eBay a few years ago with the optional Race drive, came with an upgraded motor. Sheโ€™s still going strong.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ First Disaster
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    It's the Ersatz coffee and Schnapps that does it JB ๐Ÿ™Š
    BTW Commodore,
    Captain's Table 0800, dress uniform. cap off.
    New charge: Insulting the Emperor!
    FLEET//๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Show 29 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info