• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    old wood model can the thing be saved?
    by samc πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ ( Master Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    14 Posts 13 Replies 6 Photos 22 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Westquay
    Commander
    πŸ“ old wood model can the thing be saved?
    Flag
    Online: 20 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    To do what samc needs to he needs no more than a cheapo Chinky bristle brush, epoxy (ideally, but other runny glues are available, like aliphatic resin) and a few clamps, which can be had in Poundshops.

Martin
    ianed57
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi,
    Those of us with a relatively well equipped workshop tend to forget that not everyone is in that happy position. I started out using a coping saw to cut frames and with the advent of Liteply, which I tend to use exclusively these days, it is pretty easy work.
    I have a friend who still does his modelling at the kitchen table and turns out very fine work. It reminds me that I gave up smoking when I first got married 45 years ago- I had Β£1 a week spare- smoking or modelling! No contest. A band saw was the best purchase I ever made- use it every time I'm in my workshop.
    Ian
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Dipping's OK, but uses a lot of expensive epoxy. I would say brush it and encourage it into the delaminations, then flatten it with a good heavy weight like Doug's car battery or whatever you have, otherwise the delaminated frame/component will have re-glued, but will also have stayed fatter due to not being squashed to its original thickness, which will obviously affect the build. Once the epoxy sets, you won't get it back to being its original size.
    If you don't have a scroll saw, a hand fret saw is quicker than you might imagine. Let the saw draw itself in, don't force it. It will cut surprisingly quickly. Better thana scroll sdaw and much quicker and cheaper is a second hand band saw with a blade off ebay. I got mine from a Sunday market (a choice of 4) for Β£12 and a selection of 5 new blades for Β£13. Still on the first one! Just this minute used it to cut a Victorian tiller from 90 year old Honduras mahogany for my Vanity model.

Good luck.

Martin
    samc
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 5 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi
    and thanks to you"al again, for your ideas... was thinking of the epoxy or urethane. i could dip the parts in the urethane and then let them drip, then dry.
    I have tried my hand at some cutting new parts from the prints. I'm not to good at it. i don't have a electric scroll saw, do try with a jig saw i made a jig for it, and use that as a scroll saw (kind of). worked ok but not sure how accurate i'm with making the parts. I guess if i work at it then i will become better.. but for right now time is tight. I have to many hobbies things to do. and home projects ( painting).
    also just got a dumas Miss Unlimited, a b-day present, to myself.
    If you want to talk about bad plans,, or lack of them this is one, there are not number or letters for half the parts, no part list, no reference to parts on the instructions. Now i know this is an old model. and i thought it would have been updated a little, i could update it even. why didn't dumas do that... ??/
    ok back to building boats... ⚑
    the pic is of a elco but my father had 1929 richerson, and that is what i would like to build,, someday. i guess i have to get my sawing skill up to par and do a scratch build.
    that is what i would like to do... someday..
    stay safe out there, in the UK
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    You could brush epoxy into the parts that have delaminated. You can thin epoxy with denatured alcohol apparently or there is a new water based epoxy made in Holland that soaks in much better, but, as Doug said, put something heavy on top with a thin plastic sheet to avoid sticking and then wait a day. It will all be good as new after that and you can go on to build it. I had to do similar with a few Aerokits models and it worked perfectly. Some were already half built and I had to just put a lot of little spring clamps on to re-laminate the old ply. Now perfect. Ain't nuttn' can't be fixed. I actually prefer a restoration to a new build and I've been a professional modelmaker since I was 16, a little over 50 years ago!
    Failing that, I'll have it
    Martin
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: Today!
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    And worth every cent IanπŸ‘
    I heartily agree.
    😎
    The Bugs are on the run 😊 ❄️❄️❄️ Get out and run those Sea Trials!! πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    ianed57
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi,
    This is a great looking boat. If I had the kit with most of the parts and a drawing I'd be inclined to draw round them onto new ply and build from there. It seems a shame to go to a lot of effort to build old, delaminated and bent wood into a model. As has been mentioned, you could veneer the bright parts, or laminate from thinner ply and sheet mahogany. Just my sixpennorth.😊
    samc
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 5 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    OK no linseed oil, go it, thanks you'all, did not think of the glue would affect it.
    thank you guys to stopping me from doing the wrong thing
    that is why i did this post,
    great help
    there is not anything else that might help the old wood is there..???

you i do have the drawing/ prints. in full scale
    someone sent them to me. which was a great help.
    so i should do the same...
    will send them to the plans site,
    pic are of old plans,, see they are not in good shape and the plans someone sent me. what a great help they are.
    Dibdawg
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 23 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    You can purchase Mahogany veneer to replace what has come off. As far as the other pieces like the keel, cut out a new one. I say, give it a go, if it turns out to be too far gone, you will have at least tried.
    Ianh
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Try Gator or Gorilla Glue. But be warned very messy use rubber gloves I use latex gloves ( Medical) when I use this type of glue as not even Acetone removes it
    https://www.everbuild.co.uk/product/gator-glue-adhesive/
    πŸ”—
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    Show 4 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info