• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Brushed or Brushless.
    by billmcl61 ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ( Chief Petty Officer 1st Class)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    24 Posts 23 Replies 3 Photos 63 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Ygagnon
    Master Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Brushed or Brushless.
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks for the support

Yves
    Yves GAGNON
    Ianh
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Guys
    I used brushed motors just cos I am getting old and stick to technology I know but a little piece of advice, Brushed motors can be a law unto themselves. Take a 540 lower turns on the motor = less rpm and greater torque. But a be careful here read the motor specs! Some of them won't even give you enough info to make a decision so stay away. Brushed Motor can normally run between 6 to 12 Volts. Most manufacturers use 7.2 to 12 Volts MFA motors are more efficient at 12 Volts also look at current draw as some of our Chinese manufacturers use a lot of power. Now we can take an MFA motor and stick a gearbox in such as MFA do and the ratio of the box ie 6:1 will take the original torque and multiply it by 6๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    jbkiwi
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 22 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Re - We all had to start somewhere with Brushless

Re in-runners Doug, mainly used in cars and racing boats etc (with cooling jackets), not particularly useful in planes (except the occasional screaming foam delta - pic) Mainly out-runners in planes for more torque and easier cooling (ie - you can run smaller props with bigger pitch). The 28mm 2000kv in-runners in my HSL got hot real quick just free running on the bench, so had to fit jackets. Out-runners will also get hot in a plane when run up for a period on the ground, and need to get in the air asap.

The only in-runner I have in a plane now is the finned 2100kv 28/45mm (in a 60s Graupner 'Terry' I reproduced) due to low ground clearance (prop size) kv and ease of fitting. Stays quite cool because of where it is. (it's from when HK sold good motors 10 yrs ago) Had it, tried it, it worked so I kept it. Delta (German Multiplex Pico jet) was horrendously noisy at 85mph. (3900kv, 6" prop - around 30,000 rpm on 2s!) Not allowed to make noise any moreโ˜น๏ธ

For scale boats I prefer brushed motors, as they are cheap to buy/replace compared to brushless (brushed ESCs are generally cheaper also). The brushed motors with bearings and serviceable brushes are good value, and as you say, brushed have a good range of speed ratings/turns to choose from (as do brushless). They can also sound quite good in a twin set-up I think.
    JB
    billmcl61
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Andy,

Wise words indeed, I very nearly made that mistake. Even though I've been following this site on and off for years, it went straight out of my head, now looking closely at motors before I buy anything.

Bill
    Spock66
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 1 month ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Doug,
    Talking an immense amount of sense with that post.

I totally agree with your 'read the specs' part. With so many users buying off the web, the temptation to buy the cheapest, say, '380, or 540', straight off the shelf can cause endless problems.

Don't assume that one brushed or brushless motor with the same 'id' and type markings is in fact the same. Stall currents and volts draw are markedly different on some of the 'low cost' options out there.

To replace your fried ESC will always be more expensive than the time it takes to check out the spec sheet.

You must ALWAYS have in line fuse, but remember cheapest may cost a lot more in the long run.

Andy
    billmcl61
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Doug,

Many thanks for that it's greatly appreciated, and it certainly has given me a lot more information than I could find anywhere else, it felt like the deeper i dug the deeper the hole became....if you know what I mean๐Ÿ˜Š, I've seen people ask basic questions on other sites and just got a lot of snottiness in response (I think they all forgot they had to learn as well) that's the major difference between here and other sites, everyone is very helpful and friendly here, I know that I can ask questions and get help in return, I've certainly learned a lot in the past couple of weeks, not just with the guys giving me help and advice but by going through past builds, there really is a wealth of knowledge here-my thanks to all.

Bill
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Bill,
    We all had to start somewhere with Brushless (with Brushed too, way back when๐Ÿ˜).
    It's not rocket science and has been discussed frequently on the site.
    Brushless type numbers have 4 basic digits XXYY where XX is the diameter in mm and YY the motor body length in mm. Then a kV number. This is the number of rpm (off load!) per Volt applied. In general; Lower kV number means a slower revving higher torque motor, higher kV a faster revving high speed and lower torque motor.
    So as 'Rule of Thumb'; short fat low kV for tug towing, longer thinner high kV for fast planing hulls.๐Ÿ˜‰
    Different manufacturers add extra number numbers or letters to designate a particular motor series or maybe max power in watts.
    Then there's Inrunner and Outrunner!
    The jury is still out on which is best for model boats๐Ÿ˜‰
    The Inrunner is easier to mount and cool cos you can treat it just like a brushed motor.
    As the name implies with an Outrunner the outer casing spins round a fixed core, meaning it can only be mounted and cooled through the end mounting plate.
    My personal opinion is that, unless you are building a fast Offshore Power Boat racer or Hydroplane racer, for high speed, high current short duration racing Inrunners are best left to the fly-boys.
    With the right choice of kV, prop size (roughly same as motor diameter) and battery voltage I have never needed to cool my Outrunners.๐Ÿ˜‰
    Weight is also often a factor in smaller models. With a brushless you get 'More Oomph per Ounce'.๐Ÿ˜€

Don't forget that even with brushed motors there are various types with the same basic number (can size). But different performance depending on how the armature is wound!
    E.g. there are 540s ranging from about 5000rpm torquey to 22000 or more rpm screamers!!
    Read the specs before you buy!!
    Whatever motor type you fit don't forget to put a fuse in line with the ESC + supply wire.
    Fuse rating at least 10-20% less than the stall current of the motor or the max continuous current of the ESC. Otherwise: ๐Ÿšค๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ˜ญ

That's the simple basics for beginners, as I also was with brushless 3 years ago.
    Hope this helps demystify a little.
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    billmcl61
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Doug,

I fully understand where Ygagnon is coming from, with brushed motors you are at least starting with a known, i.e the can size, so you know roughly what you are dealing with with regards to oomph, I still don't have a clue what the numbers on a brushless motor represent. I will figure it out, but I'll wait until after my head stops hurting/spinning ๐Ÿ˜Š, but for now I'm strictly in the brushed camp.
    Bill
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    "I have tried brushless on a hovercraft model and I believe it is more complicated. "
    Did you turn it into a helicopter Ygagnon?๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜
    More complicated!?
    You only have to connect one more wire than with a brushed motor!
    Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    billmcl61
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ygagnon,
    Yeah I know where you are coming from, I went from frustrated to frazzled to bamboozled, in the end I gave up on it and went for what I understood, and by all accounts, for a tug Brushed is the way to go-thankfully. After all brushed motors have been used for a long time and apart from some minor maintenance worked perfectly well, so that's good enough for me.

Bill
    Show 14 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info