• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Racing dhows
    by Nerys ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Rear Admiral)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    9 Posts 8 Replies 0 Photos 9 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Racing dhows
    Flag
    Online: 30 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Just been watching a YouTube of 'Abu Dhabi Sailing and Yacht Club Dhow race' This was interesting as it was of much smaller dhows, they all looked about 20ft, not unlike an elongated International 14ft. Dinghy. The sails were made to resemble the Dubai national flag. They had a four man crew, one steering and three standing out, suspended by trapezes , on the gunwhale. This race was different from others I have see in as much as they sailed on a broad reach out to a mark, gybed round it and came home on the opposite reach.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Rookysailor
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ“ Racing dhows
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    WoW! beautiful sleek lines with a full sail, these boats are something else, link below for just a short taste๐Ÿ˜€
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUXx7HP6Irg

Cheers, Pete
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUXx7HP6Irg
    ๐Ÿ”—
    โ–ถ๏ธ
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Racing dhows
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Don't be misled by pictures of the ordinary traditional cargo carrying dhows. These are purpose built racing machines. They are like an extra long, narrow racing dinghy. Very shallow hull with a fixed keel. They are open boats, huge sails. Large crew mainly standing, or hanging out from the weather gunwhale in order to keep her upright individually supported by trapezes to the masthead. They give the appearance of being very fast.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    billmcl61
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Racing dhows
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Excellent, I'll have a nosey through them, thank you Nerys

Bill
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Racing dhows
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I just googled YouTube Racing Dhows and several videos presented themselves. The ones in the UAE are the best.

Nerys
    billmcl61
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Racing dhows
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Ah I would love to see that Nerys, I haven't been sailing for years, could you find the link again

Bill
    Rookysailor
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ“ Racing dhows
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Very interesting talk of these racing dhows, is it possible you could post a link, to the video you watched on youtube Nerys๐Ÿ˜Š

Cheers, Pete
    Joe727
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Racing dhows
    Flag
    Online: 4 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Nerys,
    That's interesting. I have seen these boats in photographs and thought they were unusual looking. Never would have thought they were capable of racing. Thanks for the post, I'll have to look up more about them.
    Joe ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Racing dhows
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Most members know of my predilection for sail and if it's a bit unusual, all the better.

Browsing through various boaty youtubes last night I came across some of racing dhows. Now I'm not talking about the traditional Arab trading dhows, these were full blown racing machines. Two sizes, 60ft and 43ft, they were like long narrow racing dinghies with a bit of a keel on them. Two masts on the 60footers, one on the 43. Huge lateen sails. I couldn't understand the commentary, it was in Arabic. All boats started the race moored stern on to the quay. A flag went down, racehorse style, and they were off. Sails went up. Fair breeze, so all the crew were standing on the weather gunwhale,with ropes going to the masthead to support them, to keep her upright, though a couple capsized. It seemed as if it was a straight course of several miles on a broad reach. This was I imagine to save the complexities of tacking large lateen sails The speeds were terrific and it all looked very exciting. Interesting point, I did gather that the person very much involved in every way is Sheikh Hamdan al Maktoum who with his brother have a huge interest in horseracing in the UK.

Cheers, Nerys

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info