• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    raf crash tender
    by Tilly Lamp πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Able Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    24 Posts 23 Replies 27 Photos 26 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    CB90
    Sub-Lieutenant
    πŸ“ raf crash tender
    Flag
    Online: 19 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Tilly
    Second attempt checked for viruses all ok renamed and reproduced in another photo editor.
    Roy
    Tilly Lamp
    Able Seaman
    πŸ“ raf crash tender
    Flag
    Online: 20 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Astromorg
    That is a very nice model, my roof to the cockpit also comes of but the interior detail will not be as detailed as yours. I noticed that you have also picked up on the fact the same as me that the side porthole is set back because it is an opening one and the same as you I noticed that 93 did not have the breeches connection and therefore the monitor was further forward. The mast base fixings in the two pictures in harbour to me seem to indecate that the mast folded to the right and not forward onto a crutch and little things like the air intakes and lifebelts were all white and did not have any red. The window surrounds in those two pictures look as though the side windows might have a white surround but the front cockpit windows look all grey.

Tilly😊
    tilly
    astromorg
    Able Seaman
    πŸ“ raf crash tender
    Flag
    Online: 23 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Like you Tilly, when I decided to build this model, I chose to use those two photos of 93 at Vospers as the main source of detailing. They’re high resolution photos and can be enlarged usefully to give really useful detail of many of the fittings
    Note that the for’d monitor is positioned much further forward than the later ones and there was no breeches connection.
    Also, the lifting eyes extend down, outside the hull and the RAF roundel has no white or yellow outer ring.
    Mine is a 34 inch version, based on the original Rowell design, but all scratch built, including all fittings. The main construction differences were to add tabs to the top of each of the bulkheads to allow them to be fixed to a base board during the build. This allowed extra longitudinals to be added to the front third of the hull that in turn allowed that front third to be diagonally planked to achieve the true hull form of the original. I also made the cockpit roof removable to allow access to be able to clean the fitted instrument panel at a later date.
    I’ve attached some photos of it since recent completion. More details later.
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ raf crash tender
    Flag
    Online: 23 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Tilly,

You should place ANGEL EMIEL in your harbour with a full description of all the working parts.

Your Crash Tenter is coming along great.
    Keep up the good work.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    CB90
    Sub-Lieutenant
    πŸ“ raf crash tender
    Flag
    Online: 19 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Tilly,
    Nice to see someone putting in the extra effort to get the Hull as per the original boat, and not as the slab sided kits.
    and its not an easy job in wood.

Thought I add a couple of pic as they may be of interest:-
    a/How to paint it,
    b/The Mast details
    c/Mast details
    d/Close up of non original water canon.

Many years ago Kingston mouldings did the original hull shaped in fibre glass, I believe mtbhulls.co.uk do a fiberglass hull to suit
    1/12th 46ft RAF Vosper Firefloat/Crash Tender Β£92.00.
    http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk/prices

Have Fun

Roy
    http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk/prices
    πŸ”—
    Tilly Lamp
    Able Seaman
    πŸ“ raf crash tender
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I had seen the first picture before but did not know if the monitors were the original ones, but from what you say they were the original ones and the yard picture looks about right.Attached 3 pictures of my boat to date, as the boats had concave bottom and sides this is how I have built the hull. I still have a long way to go my last model took me 2 years to build, it was the Brixham Beam Trawler ANGEL EMIEL with all working parts including booms and nets.

Tilly😊
    tilly
    astromorg
    Able Seaman
    πŸ“ raf crash tender
    Flag
    Online: 23 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I think you'll find that those photos are not of Pounds Yard, but of Vospers Yard at Portchester where the tenders were built. Indeed the pictures are of 93 having been recently built and in 'original' condition. Compare it with the photo I have attached that is of the tender undergoing sea trials with a Vosper (?) civilian crew, the long nozzle monitors, a Red Ensign (Military vessels prior to acceptance) and Flag Alpha - ship undergoing trials. The other photo is of Vospers Portchester Yard. You can see the jetty where the tender was berthed for the photos
    robbob
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ raf crash tender
    Flag
    Online: 18 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Neil.
    It might be a good thing to scan the 'Handbook' and post it on the website as an information resource, Perhaps Stephen (Fireboat) could then include them in the 'Plans & Docs' pages?
    Rob.
    "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana"
    Tilly Lamp
    Able Seaman
    πŸ“ raf crash tender
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Neilmc
    Attached is the other photo from this site which I found a long time ago now, and these are the two pictures that I am basing my model on. I had not realised that were 93 was birthed was part of the scrap yard oposite, you will also notice that there is a sea going wartime tug in the background. I new where the picture was taken because I have been round the fort. These pictures now tell me that the long nozle monitors were a later adition if what you suspect is true that the boat was up for scrap.

Tilly😊
    tilly
    neilmc
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ raf crash tender
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    So Tilly started me looking at some of the photos online of the Fire Boats.
    This one is quite sad in a way as it shows No 93 at John Pounds Marine Scrap yard. The give away was not only the piles of scrap metal πŸ˜€ but also the white cliffs in the background that form Porchester Hill across from Portsmouth Harbour and either Fort Southwick (excellent armoury museum) or Widley.
    Learning so much more with each reply to my posts. One day I may have a boat in the water πŸ€”
    Show 14 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info