• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    removing dried acrylic paint
    by octman ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    12 Posts 11 Replies 6 Photos 25 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Ianh
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ removing dried acrylic paint
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Elbow grease is the best way. Even if using a chemical stripper you would still use a lot of elbow grease.
    The stuff I have in my workshop by the way is Krud Kutter by Rustoleum I use it on model truck parts but still have to use elbow grease.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    octman
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 11 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks for all this folks. I think i will follow RN in Munchen's advise and use that old standby, elbow grease.

Chris
    Hande of Espoo
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 4 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I used denaturated spirit to remove acrylic paint from plywood. Easy & no harm done to plywood. I brushed the spirit, let it stay for a while and carved the soft paint off. Of course, resanding was required.
    Have a good Christmas, everybody! We are staying strictly between family members, here.
    Fulfilling a 45-year old dream
    Ianh
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    For those of you who are technically inclined
    Water-based acrylic paint uses an acrylic emulsion to bind pigment. Notice I said an emulsion, not a solution. The acrylic resin does not dissolve in water, and therefore an emulsion is required to get a single phase liquid paint medium. When the water evaporates from acrylic paint, the polymer cross-links its molecules and forms an adherent acrylic-paint film. Once dry, the film is no longer water soluble. Therefore, to remove dried acrylic paint from a porous or nonporous surface, you will need a cleaner that is capable of dissolving acrylic resin. However, please take note: Some solvents and cleaners may not be appropriate for some surfaces and materials.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Agreed Ian๐Ÿ‘
    I was hoping that DJT would have himself injected with Dettol or similar after his incredibly daft comments at that infamous press 'conference'!

Jadies & Lentlemen,
    don't get your knickers in a twist over this simple issue.
    There is absolutely no need to resort to any potentially dangerous or model damaging chemical process.
    BTW Ed, I seem to remember that that video showed a plastic plane being cleaned of enamel paint, not acrylic. A different kettle of fish altogether. There was a similar vid using washing up detergent going around then as well.

Acrylic paint when fully cured is as hard as nails and inert. Maybe that's why it's used on most car production these days.
    My treatment would be quite simply flat off with 400 grade wet & dry paper to remove any lumps and bumps and, above all, any gloss.
    Then prime with a bog standard general purpose primer, e.g. Halfords or Dupli Color etc. Depending on which side of the big ponds you are!
    Flat off with 600 - 1000 W&D and apply your top coats. Bobs yer uncle and U know who's yer aunt๐Ÿ˜Š
    No messy and harmful chemicals, just a bit of dust which you can minimise and stick together using your W&D wet๐Ÿ‘ Add a drop of liquid soap at the 1000 - 3000 grade stage between top coats to get a surface like glass.
    Works for me, see attached pics of Before and After of my Sea Scout restoration.
    The boat was coated with Japlack, applied by my dad in the early 60s, with enamel spray on top๐Ÿ˜
    The decks were sanded clean, stained mahogany, two coats of Lord Nelson gloss varnish sprayed on, flatting with 3000 grade W&D in between. Then the whole boat sealed with the same UV proof gloss sealing lacquer used on cars these days. The cabin roof is sheet mahogany + Lord nelson varnish and a sealing coat.
    Just delete the chemicals and add a little more patience and elbow grease chaps and chapesses!๐Ÿ‘

Stay safe folks, not only from Covid but also by not using unnecessary chemicals.
    All the best folks, want to see you all safe and sound and sailing next year๐Ÿ‘
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    Ianh
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    And they use Dettol as an antiseptic wash! Imagine what it is doing to you
    figtree7nts
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 7 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I read this as well!

About using "Dettol"!

And I saw a video of it being used!

To take paint off a model plane!

And it worked like a charm!

So, it does work!

Cheers, Ed
    "Fair winds calm Seas" 73's
    tim morland
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hello everyone,
    A lot depends on the surface underneath the paint eg wood, metal, plastic. Metal you can use quite drastic measures but plastics and wood can be easily damaged. Caustic soda solution (sodium hydroxide) can be used on plastics but it is evil stuff and if you get some solution on your hands it turns the skin to soap. Full personal protective gear is needed when using this stuff. For this reason I don't use it on models. However many clothes washing powders have an alkali base to them so soaking a model in washing powder solution often works for me (might take all day). Scrub occasionally with a toothbrush. I once read on a Scale model website that "Dettol" disinfectant works like magic. They use it on plastic planes trains etc. I haven't tried it but all who used it recommended it. It has to be Dettol though not Dettol lookalikes.
    If it is only a small area on a larger model perhaps you could make a dam round the area with modelling clay.
    Merry Christmas to all
    Tim
    Colin H
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 51 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Here's a few ideas for acrylic paint removal.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Ianh
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    As Acrylic is water based but dries waterproof you have to look at the paint base it is difficult to remove but you cold try surgical spirits, but no Guarantee. Also look at a large hardware for Krud Buster type of removal. This is normally used for removing Graffiti.
    Show 2 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info