• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Does anyone recognise this model with Hydrojet drive?
    by Madwelshman πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    6 Posts 5 Replies 6 Photos 7 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Madwelshman
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Does anyone recognise this model with Hydrojet drive?
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I remember reverse thrust being fairly effective on the mk2 that friends had.

As you say, reverse wouldn't be much needed or much use in shallow, gravelly rivers etc, so understand why it wasn't much of a concern with the earlier ones.

You're right about the sound, certainly not an unpleasant one either. I always used to like it.

As for drawings, I have now found a side view and have a lead on a plan drawing which I am hoping will come good.
    My only concern is that I've never built from a plan before, not a hull anyway and certainly not from an original view plan.
    I will give it a go as and when time allows (assuming the lead on a plan is a good one). For now, I have more than enough to get on with, with my new to me, Sea Rover and Sea Commander repairs/refurb.

Will
    Precedent Perkasa MTB 49 1/2" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 46" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 42" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 36" Aerokits Sea Commander 34" Aerokits Sea Rover 29 1/2" SLEC Fairey Huntress 23"
    jbkiwi
    Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I see Dowty improved the reverse function on the jet, (the early Hamiltons weren't that flash in reverse, - developed originally for screaming up our shallow fast gravelly rivers, where reverse would be pretty useless anyhow) but with the new twin nozzle types they are pretty good,- most manufacturers seem to use that style now.

It looks like a reasonably basic hull,- perhaps you could just draw one up to suit. No flare to speak of so should be reasonably easy. If you can find photo of one side on, you could scale the boat off the pic. At least you have a good selection of pics and vids on the Dowty site to go off.

I had a marinized 110 hp Mk III Zodiac motor in my 20ft Hartley and it went really well, great motor with a sound of their own.

JB
    Madwelshman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Correct jbkiwi, apart from the 1st versions of the Dowty didn't use the two stage unit, the mk2 and mk3 had that unit fitted.

The plan was to purchase one of the current water jet units and fit to a suitable hull.

As time goes on, no one seems to recognise this model as a kit, so I think I will have to go with a suggestion someone made to me, in using an Aerokits Sea Hornet plan as a starting point and to modify slightly to make it closer (as close as I am capable of anyway) to the Dowty hull shape/design.

I had already found the Dowty heritage site, that's where some of my pictures came from. I have also been in contact with them regarding some accurate/detailed drawings of the boats, but not heard anything back.

Will
    Precedent Perkasa MTB 49 1/2" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 46" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 42" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 36" Aerokits Sea Commander 34" Aerokits Sea Rover 29 1/2" SLEC Fairey Huntress 23"
    jbkiwi
    Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The full size boat uses a Dowty/Hamilton 2 stage 'Chinook' jet unit (Hamilton jets NZ 1957) made under licence by Dowty to suit the particular boat. Hamiltons were the first ever commercial jet units sold and still powering boats today all round the world, You will find pictures of this jet unit on the Hamilton Jet site (NZ) for reference (under- Our Story). If you are going to have a crack at making one, you could buy one of the model jet units available today and modify it to look similar, (if you were keen😁). This boat would make a nice model.

https://www.dowtyheritage.org.uk/content/dowty-group/dowty-m...

Scroll down to the bottom of above article for a good vid of these boats.

https://www.dowtyheritage.org.uk/content/dowty-group/dowty-m...

Good vids at the bottom of this as well (Donald Campbell driving one)

JB
    https://www.dowtyheritage.org.uk/content/dowty-group/dowty-marine-2/dowty-jet-turbocraft-press-release
    πŸ”—
    https://www.dowtyheritage.org.uk/content/dowty-group/dowty-marine-2/dowty-marine-and-dowty-turbocraft-remembered-by-adrian-waddams
    πŸ”—
    https://www.hamiltonjet.com/global/waterjet-history
    πŸ”—
    Madwelshman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    This is the full sized boat that I believe it to have been modelled upon.

Will
    Madwelshman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Reading through an old copy of Model Maker & Model Boats magazine from 1965, I saw this article regarding a readers model boat with a home made Hydrojet drive.
    I'm referring to the speedboat and not the Bluebird. Although, there is a link between the two, as Donald Campbell was a Director and also chief test driver for Dowty Marine.
    The model boat in question looks very much like a Dowty Turbojet, a boat that a family friend used to own and one that I would love to attempt to build, if I could find some detailed drawings, or better still a plan.

Does anyone recognise this as a model kit/know if it was actually available to buy not?
    Or is it likely that it's purely a scratch build?

Thanks in advance

Will

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info