Cruise Ships

Started by Nerys
17 replies 14 likes Last activity: 6 years ago
#18

Cruise Ships

At least it gives you a change of scenery, rather than staring at the horizon😁 Nice spot you have there. I see they are still powered up.

JB
#17

Cruise Ships

The view from my living room window today.
Volendam, Arcadia and Oosterdam and behind the trees, Zaandam and Eurodam. Just around the headland is Queen Victoria, Marella Explorer and Marella Explorer 2. We are so lucky down here at the moment. All of the Queens have visited with Queen Mary 2 here most of the time. We usually get two cruise ships a year here for six hours only. We will miss them when they go but I only hope that things improve quickly so that they can get back to work very soon.
I cannot promise to finish one project before starting another. I know, I tried.
Liked by hammer and Ronald and
#16

Cruise Ships

Interesting programme on TV at 3am this morning about Holland Amerika ship 'Koningsdam', a cruise from Amsterdam to the top of Norway and back sailing up some of the larger fjords. Looked a nice ship, but being a shade under 100,00 tons she is a lot smaller than many other cruise ships. Holland Amerika seem to have specialised in these smaller ships as their smallest are just over 60,00 tons and several are similar in size to 'Koningsdam'.

Cheers, Nerys
When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
#15

Cruise Ships

My wife and I did the inside passage to Alaska in 2018.On one of the stops we had a side tour to a glacier where we were able to get out on the ice.
Rick
#14

Cruise Ships

They were happy until we lost Crealy. The replacement is not up to scratch.
Don't be shy just reply
#13

Cruise Ships

Hi Hammer.
I’m in Exminster.
Happy days.
Regards Bill.
Never give up.It will come right in the end.
#12

Cruise Ships

We prefer the smaller, Holland America cruise ships. We did the Alaska, inside passage on one a few years ago.
#11

Cruise Ships

Ah. That explains it then. That is why I can see five cruise liners from my window.😀
I see that Queen Victoria is your side.
I cannot promise to finish one project before starting another. I know, I tried.
#9

Cruise Ships

Hello Hammer. You are in Torbay?
I cannot promise to finish one project before starting another. I know, I tried.
#8

Cruise Ships

Correct Sub,
Same Class, Excellence, and same builder, Meyer Werft AG, as Mardi Gras, but commissioned first.
Now laid up till at least Aril '21. Probably longer🤔
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Iona
😎
Young at heart 😉 Slightly older in other places.😊 Cheers Doug
#7

Cruise Ships

P&0 have a gas powered ship. Iona I think it only cruises to Norway. If it goes to far from there a gas tanker has to go with her.
Don't be shy just reply
Liked by Nerys
#6

Cruise Ships

Going the other way, Carnival Cuises are building the largest cruise ship ever and she is due out this year. She will be named 'Mardi Gras' and amongst other innovations is to be powered by liquefied natural gas. Many other innovative features in design and amenities, she will be the first cruise ship to boast a rollercoaster.

Cheers, Nerys
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mardi_Gras_(2020_ship)
(😉😎)
When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
Liked by MouldBuilder
#5

Cruise Ships

Sorry posted wrong thread
Don't be shy just reply
#4

Cruise Ships

The last one I did no need for all this detail. Scale rule showing.
Don't be shy just reply
Liked by RNinMunich and Martin555
#3

Cruise Ships

Sad because it is or was a ship, not a block of flats on the water. I can see four in the bay now. A further five more just out of sight around the headland.
Don't be shy just reply
Liked by RNinMunich and Nerys
#2

Cruise Ships

Hi Nerys. And so the pandemic has take more tole on the world as cruise ships out of service become a liability to their owners.I fear more ships will go to the scrape yard over the next few months.
My worry for the hospitality industry is the time it will take to grow when travel begins again.
Now we just think of being able to see each other again never mind going on a cruise.
Time is not on the side of the cruise ships.
Rick
Liked by Nerys
#1

Cruise Ships

I was sorry to see that the cruise ship 'Marco Polo' has been sold and is currently beached in India awaiting scrapping. I had a sort of affection for her, apart from the fact that I liked her traditional looks, I often used to see her years ago when she was the 'Aleksandr Pushkin' moored at Tilbury Landing Stage engaged in running cruises to earn western currency for the Soviet Union.
Also, Fred Olsen has sold the 'Boudicca' and 'Black Watch' both of whom are to become hotels.
Another sale has been the 'Berlin' sold to Dreamlines to become a private yacht.
There are of course, many other sales and will be many more but unfortunately they are all most likely to be scrapped.

Cheers, Nerys
When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
Liked by Peter581 and Colin H and

Sign in to add to this thread.

Delete this post?

It will be removed from the site.

Discard this draft?

Your draft will be deleted and cannot be recovered.

You have an unfinished draft

What would you like to do with it?