• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Change of Tack
    by cormorant πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Lieutenant)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    24 Posts 23 Replies 7 Photos 53 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    mturpin013
    Commodore
    πŸ“ Change of Tack
    Flag
    Online: 21 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Bleach! I assume you only use this on very pale coloured woods, I don't think it would work on hard woods such as mahogany and walnut without changing the colour.
    cormorant
    Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Change of Tack
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I soaked these gunport bulkheads in warm water for about half an hour (as recommended in the instructions), then dry fitted them overnight with clamps. Seemed to work pretty well.
    I've just glued and tacked the starboard side in place.
    I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure?
    ToraDog
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Change of Tack
    Flag
    Online: 24 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Another alternative for bending planking is soaking in household bleach or ammonia,NEVER MIX BLEACH and AMMONIA!!!! the results are usually fatal. And now back to our program: I made a soaker tube from PVC pipe, added a glued on end cap. I made a lift platform form a round wood disc with a handle glued to it. My tube was three ft long( I build in 1/48th scale, but it can be used for short pieces easily. I soak in the bleach for about an hour and the 1/8 x 1/2 inch planks came out as noodles.
    mturpin013
    Commodore
    πŸ“ Change of Tack
    Flag
    Online: 21 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi there, I use a domestic kettle for small lengths and as you have realised a wallpaper steamer works well, I used an old stainless steel vacuum down pipe which has a bend at the end, I machined a plug with a tread in it to match the steamer connection and a water drip hole. I just clamp it in the vice at about 20 degrees with the bend pointing down which allows excess water to drip out, it then lets me to feed my planks in whilst they steam for a while\.
    Nonsuch
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Change of Tack
    Flag
    Online: 20 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    It struck me today whilst bending this plank, that if I had a lot to do.....I already have a steam generator, in the form of a wallpaper stripper. A simple steam chamber fed by the steam stripper , which thanks to its long hose, could be sited a safe distance from the bench.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Change of Tack
    Flag
    Online: 48 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Very interesting, nonsuch, glad you managed to bend it alright. If I was in a position that I might have to do much bending, I think I'd make a set up with a metal pipe enclosed in wood so that it wouldn't get to hot to handle. One of my thoughts for a next project would entail a fair bit of bending, so I might try this for myself instead of pontificating about building clinker ship's lifeboats!

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Nonsuch
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Change of Tack
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Apologies Nerys. For the first time in 50 years I have just had to steam the middle of a plank!
    I am currently building a live steam tugboat which has a curved strake running round the stern. An obvious candidate for bending from the centre.
    I used part of that previously cursed plastic tube with an end cap forced on, rather than glued. I stood this up in a jug to catch the leaks this time! Filled with boiling water, dropped in the plank and placed a piece of tape over the top to stop the plank floating out. After 5 minutes most of the 400mm plank was extremely flexible.
    cormorant
    Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Change of Tack
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Sounds like a good plan. I will go for the dress rehearsal then.
    Nonsuch
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Change of Tack
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    You can't go far wrong at the price.
    Don't forget that your ship model has two layers of planking. Although manufacturers show a hammer and nails planking job on the first lime layer, there is nothing to stop you doing a very careful planking job as if it were the "show layer". Make your mistakes where they can be hidden. You're also building the same hull as the final layer, so get a trial run of bending those bow planks. A full dress rehearsal for no extra cost.
    cormorant
    Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Change of Tack
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I was thinking of something like this
    https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/products/ship-fittings/lifeboa...
    The price won't break the bank, what do you think?
    https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/products/ship-fittings/lifeboats/858/life-boat-detail
    πŸ”—
    Show 14 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info