• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Debit Cards
    by Nerys πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Admiral)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    16 Posts 15 Replies 0 Photos 47 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Debit Cards
    Flag
    Online: 14 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Misty, I think you have explained very well how the use of credit and debit cards have enabled a lot of businesses to survive in these unpleasant times. I know my card has been well and truly used in the fitting out of our camper van, for boat building purposes and just for ordinary living. I regret the passing of the cash transaction, I've had a Β£100 in my wallet for a couple of months and hardly touched it, but I do see how the use of cards has made life so much easier particularly whilst we have been held virtual prisoners in our homes.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    mistyoptic
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Debit Cards
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Firstly Nerys, Please don't shut up, we all love to read your writings. For myself, I left Grammar School at 16 and went to work as a bank clerk, in a local bank and worked for them for 31 years before being made redundant, I saw all of the technological progress in banking from beginning with a clerk working a full manual accounting system, aided only by a mechanical adding machine, through to full online computing and cash dispensers, I was made redundant in 1990 due to reorganisation after 15 years as a manager. The last branch I managed stood at daggers drawn with another bank immediately opposite and a third bank at the next road junction. All are now closed. But I think we should all be grateful for the convenience and ease with which we can spend our money by debit card and credit card. We must all be using them to support our boat building habit. The small local trader can still use these modern devices, my local Veg stall that visits our village twice a week has a card machine linked to the banking system by mobile phone and they use it very successfully, during the two periods when I have been forced to shield 'on government advice' they have delivered to me weekly and I have paid through online banking. So it is not all bad, but my granddaughter, following in her grandads footsteps, walking to work at her bank branch has been told it will close in July and she will get another placement. So we have some way to go yet. I remember when direct debiting came in there was a great reluctance by the more cautious to be involved with such a thing, they would rather send a cheque than give their bank details to a third party, blissfully not realising that every cheque bore their bank details and a copy of a signature to go with it. If their was ever anything good about sliced bread then I put these cards alongside it!
    Geoff L.
    Ianh
    Commander
    πŸ“ Debit Cards
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nerys
    Couldn't have said it better😊😊
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Debit Cards
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    My feeling is that the government and big business have been working towards a cashless society for a long time and covid has really accelerated that move. Think, some shops are not taking cash. The huge growth in online shopping has meant more card or PayPal use, same thing really. When did you last pay to fill up at a service station. How do you pay for a fast food order. The big businesses, the Amazons of this world are getting richer and in years to come we'll probably be voting for TheAmazon or Ebay party when they are rich enough to influence government, How long before the small one man band type of business has more or less disappeared, particularly with the help of covid. I haven't been to an ordinary little market for years, once a mainstay for poorer families, but how will they survive in the current climate. In my last business cash was king, I didn't take cards as I maintained that my goods were so reasonably priced that everyone had the cash to buy something, but today, I would not have survived. So where will all this lead us, I believe to a society where there is far more control over the population than we have ever had. The move to cut down travel is already underway by the future ban on petrol and diesel cars and the introduction of more expensive electric, thus stopping the poorer man from owning a car.
    I'll shut up, I've said too much already.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    ToraDog
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Debit Cards
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nerys,
    That is scary. Sounds like one could wave your savings away in an instant. I do like cash, but more and more places here frown upon it, even when it has printed upon it "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private." I suppose one would have to be able to read that though.....
    Ianh
    Commander
    πŸ“ Debit Cards
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi All,
    Here in SA they are limited but the trouble being s they can scan them in your wallet on a once of purchase, banks do tend to SMS you on large purchases but sometimes 24 Hours later.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Debit Cards
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Tora Dog, the contactless card has been in use here for some time. At first it could only be used for very small purchases, but since covid the value one can purchase has risen considerably. All that's needed is to wave the card over the machine and that's it.

Nerys
    ToraDog
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Debit Cards
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I have not seen the contactless type of card that is mentioned. Over here all seem to require inserting the card into a machine because they have chips on them that must be read. The week point is that the cards can be used as a debit card OR a credit card and the latter does not require a PIN for a transaction.Especially if used over the phone.
    A week of so ago, my wife and I were taking the kids(furry four legged variety) for a walk and when we go out of the van there on the ground was a CC. I tried to contact the individual, but they were not listed in the phone book, so I called the number on the card and reported it lost, but found, so that the bank would cancel it, which they did. Then I cut it up and tossed it.
    Now... when will my packages arrive? 😠 No such luck....
    Seanympth
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Debit Cards
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Very true. Always have the card in your possession NEVER hand it over to anyone. Scams happened in Taxis in Australia a lot as the taxi driver had a fake reader.
    Tap it your self and see the amount and the approved message on the terminal.
    Ianh
    Commander
    πŸ“ Debit Cards
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Here in SA which is cybercrime ridden I have cancelled the contactless method of paying! This is due to the bank's attitude of "you are responsible"
    We have constant scamming of cards in restaurants and ATM's
    Never let your card out of your sight and if the ATM looks dodgy it probably is.
    Show 6 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info