• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Other than boat building, what authors do you read?
    by Ron πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ ( Captain)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    29 Posts 28 Replies 2 Photos 27 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Newby7
    Commodore
    πŸ“ Other than boat building, what authors do you read?
    Flag
    Online: 5 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    James Clavell books were some of my favorite to read King Rat ,Tia-pan, Shogun and Noble House were some I remember reading. Another writer for me is Fred Saberhagen The Complete book of Swords ,The Lost Swords .
    Rick
    canabus
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 21 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Clive Cussler, Judy Nunn and Di Morrissey.

Canabus
    redpmg
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Forgot the Rhodesian author John Gordon Davis - who lived a life similar to his books - its said that his first book 'Hold my hand Im Dying' was autobiographical. (Sadly the title came from a black Policeman who was set alight by ZAPU "comrades" - and who left dying was comforted by the white woman who found him)
    JGD joined the whaling fleet to be able to write several books about it , he also wrote several books about Rhodesia besides hold my hand - Dulamathi about the legendary Elephant and Rhino about the relocation of Black Rhinos to save them from the poachers. He wrote several books about Hong Kong when he moved there (as an Advocate) and after moving to Spain wrote stories based around the world - sadly he passed away several years ago .

The other sea book by Farley Mowat was titled The Serpents Coil - about a rescue by a Foundation Franklin tug in a hurricane off Canada. Based on fact and worthwhile reading
    ToraDog
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hector Bywater, "The Great Pacific War"
    redpmg
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nobody seems to have mentioned Brian Callison who wrote some great stories about merchant ships. He must be in his eighties by now - but his last book was published abut 5 years ago - definitely my favourite author of sea books - have all of them - and what of C S Forester - don't like the Hornblower stories much - but he wrote about more modern ships as well - one called The Good Shepherd springs to mind - great book - and the African Queen is one of my favourites. What makes it more interesting is my cousin is married to C S Foresters son .............
    Used to read a lot of Douglas Reeman novels - but there was always something too formulaic about them. Alistair Macleans sea stories are great too.

On non ship topics Jonathon Kellerman , John Leather and my favourite author of all John D MacDonald and especially the Travis Magee series................

And Ianh - Wilbur Smith unlike his books is no hero - he once paid a friend of mine to carry him to shore in the swamp area of Kariba as he was scared of crocodiles..............
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 20 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The Swallows were Captain John, Mate Susan, Able Seaman Titty and Ship's boy Roger Walker. the Amazons were Nancy and Peggy Blackett. The Walkers were visitors to the Lake District and staying at a local farm had the use of the Swallow a clinker built lug sailed dinghy Daddy was a Commander R.N. The Blacketts lived locally. Nancy and Peggy, considered themselves to be amazon pirates, amazon being their nature not the river. They kept their dinghy Amazon in the boathouse of their lakeside home. Later in the series of books they were joined by Dick and Dorothea Callum who have a dinghy named 'Scarab' built for them. They provide a link to another set of children based on the Norfolk Broads

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Black Shoe
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 12 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I remember "Swallows And Amazons", an island, a trusting mother, but don't remember the kids names.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." Will Rogers.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 20 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I'm surprised I'm the only person to mention Arthur Ransome. I thought everybody with an interest in sailing read them as a child. though I must admit I still occasionally read one.

cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Ianh
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 7 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I read a lot of Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs with a few James Pattison and of course Wilbur Smith
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    " If you haven't read "Longitude" by Dava Sobel do so!"
    Can heartily endorse that Aerostar πŸ‘ A fascinating read.
    In the end it was an English amateur clock maker who solved the problem!
    (Oops! Was that a spoiler? πŸ˜”)
    😁😎
    Young at heart πŸ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    Show 19 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info