• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Fleet Air Arm Museum Yeovilton.
    by Scratchbuilder πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Commander)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    19 Posts 18 Replies 31 Photos 41 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Scratchbuilder
    Commander
    πŸ“ Fleet Air Arm Museum Yeovilton.
    Flag
    Online: 21 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Red.
    Your correct.
    Sea Venom one engine.
    Vixen two.
    Regards Bill.
    Never give up.It will come right in the end.
    Scratchbuilder
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Red.
    Yes it was a great day out.
    I just love it there,as did my boys when they were young.So much so we take our Grandchildren there.
    It’s a fantastic day out.
    John is πŸ’― % correct the blue job is the Fairy Delta 2 and was used for the supersonic development for many things including Concord development.That’s why it is displayed in Concord Hall.
    Regards Bill.
    redpmg
    Commodore
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks John - also just realised it must have been a Venom - surely the Vixen had two motors . Memory is so bad as I saw a lot of them at the Bournemouth Aviation Museum which had the De Havilland storage & repair facility attached.
    JOHN
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 28 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Fairey Delta 2, πŸ‘ the blue job, not a star fighter widow maker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Delta_2

john
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Delta_2
    πŸ”—
    redpmg
    Commodore
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The main RhodAF operational base was at Thornhill - a WW2 Empire Pilot Training airfield - SSQ was said to be haunted by a headless Canadian Spitfire Pilot trainee from that era - never experienced it myself fortunately as not a lot of time was spent there.

Several of the others were turned into schools and a larger one near Bulawayo became the army ("Brown Jobs") TF training centre Llewellyn Barracks.......... . We kept getting calls from them to collect the vintage bombs they had unearthed..............
    redpmg
    Commodore
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    There was high human cost to the early radar Tora - my godmother succumbed to cancer aged 27 after being an operator during the war as did many others. As usual with new developments it was not realised that the amount of radiation given off by the early sets was lethal. A schoolmate who now lives in the US rebuilt an early set when we were young and it had to be tested behind closed walls using remote devices because of that particular problem.............

Similarly there was a problem with the ejection seats being developed for the first supersonic jets - they simply enlarged the firing cartridge with the result the two first test pilots were turned into quadriplegics from crushed spines. Only after the second incident was it rethought and staggered firing used instead........... Now of course a lot are rocket powered.

Then there is also the fact that some plane manufacturers chose to exit the ejection seat downwards - unfortunately about 80% of ejections occur either at takeoff or low level...........

And a Nuclear Physicist I once worked for and whose mentor was at Los Alamos during WW2 described many near deadly moments there from ignorance of a new subject. One such was a near nuclear meltdown on a desk ! A lot of them also died young from radiation induced cancers etc.
    redpmg
    Commodore
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Very sad there was no further development of the Harrier Nerys - sure they could have developed a much better aircraft in time - and avoid the cost of very large carriers ..........
    redpmg
    Commodore
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Is that a Sea Venom Bill ? and the blue job a F104 widowmaker ? can identify most of the others - must have been an interesting day. Sorry I never got around to a visit when in the UK - no chance now - barred from flying altogether with COPD - sea travel too expensive..........

Interesting build of a Walrus by Ashley in one of the 2021 MB magazines - looks similar to the real thing but never gets airborne.............Believe the full size one never liked taking off either.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 28 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    One of the main reasons we were sending pilots to the US for training was that they had the training facility capacity to help us out. Also the fact that we were buying aircraft from them it made sense for those pilots to be trained on those aircraft. The same thing is happening today, The Queen Elizabeth will eventually be equipped with American aircraft with British pilots trained in the US, though I believe I read somewhere recently that she has American Aircraft and pilots manning her at the moment. I don't know what is happening about the Prince of Wales because, evidently we do not have sufficient crew to man her as well as the QE so she will be kept in reserve until the QE needs a refit and then the PoW will be brought out to replace her.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Scratchbuilder
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Ladies and Gents.
    The Yeovilton thread is turning into a good information topic and I have learnt a few things.
    Over and above all the valid and relevant information already given from which I have learnt quite a lot is the fact that British Pilots from both RAF and RN (FAA) were trained abroad in Canada and the USA under the lend lease act.
    β€œThe passage of the Lend Lease Act Act 1941” allowed British Pilots to be trained for free abroad in return for rights to free bases in the UK.A right which still holds today.
    Some of the bases used in the US. for training were.....
    Terrell Texas. Lancaster California.Mesa Arizona.Clewiston Florida.Ponca City Oklahoma. and Sweetwater Texas to name but a few.(The above I have found on the internet,I don’t claim to know all that by heart)
    Also HMS Victorious one of our carriers (and my favourite) was lent in return for a while in 1943 to the US Navy Pacific fleet to help fill an aircraft carrier shortage.She was unofficially renamed USS Robin.
    Good old Lend Lease.
    We couldn’t have managed without it,or could we?
    Regards Bill.
    Show 9 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info