• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Quality
    by Martin555 πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Fleet Admiral)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    13 Posts 12 Replies 2 Photos 31 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    MouldBuilder
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ Quality
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Yes I am Doug. I have had to reapply for permanent residency. It is proving to be quite a task. I have to get everything translated into Hungarian. I managed to send in my application yesterday. We will see how long this takes from here.
    I cannot promise to finish one project before starting another. I know, I tried.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Quality
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    No need to be sorry Peter.
    I enjoy a bit of Boris Bashing myself.😁
    Especially now as I'm in (hopefully) the last throws of revalidating various documents as a British Citizen (tolerated πŸ™„ under the Withdrawal Agreement) instead of as a European Union Citizen, as it says on my unlimited Residents Permit obtained 36 years ago!
    Hope you're not having the same aggro in Hungary 🀞
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart πŸ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    redpmg
    Commodore
    πŸ“ Quality
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Son informs me lots of chips were manufactured in the UK - so of course Covid and factories shutting caused the shortage. Interesting - always thought they were made in "Silicone Valley" California - not so - it seems they only make a few types.......

Real blame lies with China - both for the release of the virus and the shortage...........
    MouldBuilder
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ Quality
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Sorry Doug but I have to disagree. We can blame Boris for everything. Makes me feel a lot better.😊
    I cannot promise to finish one project before starting another. I know, I tried.
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Quality
    Flag
    Online: 7 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    As an addition to Dougs' piece, one of the main reasons for stuff not coming from China, is that they have sent out thousands of containers all round the world, and because (as Doug said) they are stuck in all sorts of places, the Chinese have virtually run out of containers, as they are not getting them back. China makes most of the worlds containers, but they don't want to make the thousands they need at present, as once things are back to normal, there will be a massive glut of containers (not to mention the cost to China).

I have just received a note on my latest Ali Exp order, saying it is not expected to arrive here till Sept ?! (ordered end of June) Might as well not bother😐. Perhaps they are having another lockdown we haven't heard about, which is holding things up? It's about time we went back to making our own, even if it would cost more, at least it would be better made, and more importantly, available today, not next year!.

Just playing with my small generator tonight (decided not to work in a power cut) Always been a pig to get going. Found a bullet connector in the coil circuit had not been plugged in properly, and just fell off when I lifted the tank off, plus the float in the carburettor had no pin and was just floating around in the bowl (flooding it constantly,- ended up fitting a split pin) Gave up tonight,- power came back on before I could fix it (as you might expect😠) after struggling by torchlight for 40 mins. That's the quality we've come to accept unfortunately. We used to make brilliant stuff here,- TVs, stereos, toasters, fridges, washing machines, tools, - car assembly (Ford, Toyota, Rootes Group, Austins, Mazda, Nissan, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, GM, Chrysler, Peugeot, Hino, Isuzu, Renault, Rambler, Honda etc etc, can't think of much we make now😴 - except cool carbon fibre rockets, (Rocket Lab)😊- Hamilton Jet, -more tech stuff now. ( and lots of wine)

At least I still have a NZ assembled 1988 Toyota Corolla 1600 I've kept for nostalgia, (had it for 16yrs) and a 1990 Australian assembled Toyota Cressida 3L, (oldies but goodies) - no more cars made in either country now (Ford and Holden manufacturing in Aust has gone now as well.) Hard to even find anything made in Japan any more which is a shame, as they made quality stuff, (still have an ETC socket set from 1978 which has never broken a socket) The sky is falling😁

JB
    redpmg
    Commodore
    πŸ“ Quality
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Shades of 1984.....................
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Quality
    Flag
    Online: 21 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks for your explanation Doug, I knew that the situation with containers and huge rises in freight charges existed. As I see it, it can only lead to higher prices for many quite ordinary commodities as well as computer bits. And, of course, when, or perhaps I should say if, the covid situation calms down and gets back to normal, those inflated freight charges will no doubt be the then base price.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Quality
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Nerys,
    "there is a general shortage of some computer hardware etc. What do we blame, covid or Brexit?"
    Basically the answer is Covid πŸ€”
    Main reason behind it is the Covid Lockdowns in various Chinese ports and elsewhere, no ship can/could enter or leave.
    Which has led to thousands of containers in the wrong place, not being able to unload/load.
    It's not just us, any industry which uses chips (without fish😁); i.e. anything to do with computers in any shape or form (including mobile phones and RC gear☹️), car makers (I pine for the days when I could check all my car electrics with a multimeterπŸ€”) is affected.
    Apparently charter prices for containers are going through the roof, as are freight costs due to containers having to be shuffled around the world empty!
    All this is going to raise prices of all sorts of stuff☹️
    Sorry, this one we can't blame on Boris πŸ™„
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart πŸ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Quality
    Flag
    Online: 21 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Quite right Martin. Alice is setting up internet in our campervan and has been telling me how much various bits and pieces she needs have gone up. She also says that there is a general shortage of some computer hardware etc. What do we blame, covid or Brexit? I'd rather say lack of understanding in government and most of all, big business greed.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Quality
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nerys,
    They are giving out all sorts of excuses now blaming Covid and Brexit and even backlogs and the lack of staff in the hope that we will forget about complaining.

Also the price of almost everything will be going up as these companies need to claw back the profits that they lost.

I think i had better leave it there before i raise my blood pressure.LOL!

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    Show 3 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info