• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    summer regatta
    by Nerys πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Fleet Admiral)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    15 Posts 14 Replies 8 Photos 33 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ summer regatta
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Nerys, this might help explain the corrosion types (including causing rotting of timber) better than I can.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/can-you-have-too-many-...

JB
    https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/can-you-have-too-many-zincs
    πŸ”—
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ summer regatta
    Flag
    Online: 23 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I must admit that I didn't think about corrosion damage beyond thinking that a good wash down and running the motor in fresh water for a few minutes would remove any salt, but I bow to those with greater knowledge and accept that there could be problems. In all my years with real boats in salt water I never had any significant problems and in the craft that had propellors and shafts I never remember there ever being any anodes fitted, though I know some people made a lot of fuss about them and I have seen how they can be eaten away and need replacing.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ summer regatta
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    lol, you beat me to it MartinπŸ˜‚

JB
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ summer regatta
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Martin, see my reply to Nerys regarding the unseen damage which can occur. When I ran my Hartley in the salt (once) to try a launching vid, I washed it down immediately after with 4l of water I took with me, but by the time I got home, some small screws on the jet unit already were showing rust signs! Think about outboards, and how they corrode, even though they are flushed out every time (if you care about them).

If you had a shaft connected to your motor in your model by a metal universal, you would risk making a nice battery with the salt (and the electricity in the boat) which would slowly eat your shaft away, (will even cause wood nearby to rot in big boats as well (over many years, especially if dissimilar metals are used) Hence the use of sacrificial anodes on rudders, shafts etc. (you'll know all this anyhow, but most modellers probably wouldn't think about it)

JB
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ summer regatta
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Jb,
    You will have to fit scale cathodic protection anodes LOL!!

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ summer regatta
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Nerys, I found that the salt tends to get into places you can't wash out, and even oil won't stop the corrosion happening. When I rebuilt my Graupner Optimist yacht recently, I had to destroy the rudder shaft and tube to remove them from the boat, as it had blended with its tube. I used to sail it in the salt mainly, and religiously washed it and oiled the rudder shaft, but it didn't stop it corroding. The head of the 12mm keel bolt was also seriously rusted, due to a small amount of un noticed salt leakage sitting in the bottom of the hull under the floor. Now rust proofed and seriously glassed in.

Don't think it would be such a problem if you used stainless tube etc, but the problem is sticking the bits together, (need to be TIG welded),- not something most people can do at home. With non stainless mini shaft ball bearings there is also the same problem.

Probably need to have rudder shafts etc easily removable as a precaution, for long term storage if used in salt.

JB
    Newby7
    Vice Admiral
    πŸ“ summer regatta
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nerys The boats do look good on the water.So great to see things slowly opening up.
    Rick
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ summer regatta
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Yes Colin, it was a very nice day out, we only went for the Sunday due to Dialysis logistics. We went up to North Wales on Sunday night and spent the night on the Horseshoe Pass above Llangollen. Came back to a campsite near Eardsley in Hereford Monday night and at some stage or other saw a turning to your village, but did not call as I had not contacted you and didn't have your address.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Ron
    Commodore
    πŸ“ summer regatta
    Flag
    Online: 20 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Super Day ! Glad you were able to see your vessels on the water again, which always better than on the shelf. 😊
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ summer regatta
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Jb,
    Thank you for saying nice things about my boats. I cannot see that sailing your boats in salt water is any different to fresh, but a wash down in fresh water afterwards would prevent any build up of salt on the paint. The only snag is if you have a radio mishap, your boats may go sailing across the Southern Ocean. (Rescue boat optional extra).

Cheers, Nerys
    Show 5 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info