• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Almost home made Router Table.
    by stevedownunder πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί ( Lieutenant)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    11 Posts 10 Replies 21 Photos 18 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    stevedownunder
    Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Almost home made Router Table.
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Great video, they are a long way North of me, "banana benders" otherwise known as Queenslanders.

Sad story about Criterion there are many similar story's around unfortunately.

Cheers,
    Stephen.
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Must be a Northern expression, heard it on this YT clip, had me cryingπŸ˜‚

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KavEoHGiU5I.

Gotta love Aussie humour, we're both pretty similar. The other term that cracked them up, is not mentionable here😁

The big Criterion building was finished just before I left, and for the last month I was marking out the floor for the machines and the floor roller systems that were being moved over, (I welded most of the floor roller systems a year earlier as well - probably a few km of them!) The big vinyl laminator and moulding laminator they built in-house, were moved over from the small lower building in the pic (which in itself was almost the size of a football field).

They ended up closing about 10 yrs ago, due to the govt allowing Chinese crap in, which destroyed nearly all of the big furniture producing companies in the country. They used to make quality stuff and were the leaders in NZ. Employed around 300 staff at the peak. I think they were 2nd biggest in the South Pacific, after a company in Oz.

JB
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KavEoHGiU5I.
    πŸ”—
    stevedownunder
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi JB,

Nah thongs around here maybe North of me, haven't heard of "pluggers" before then again I don't get out much.🀣

Sweet, I had to wait about 4 months for my one, that looks like the Criterion factory was quite big.

Cheers,
    Stephen.
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Don't they also call them 'pluggers' down your neck of the woods Stevo. Hard to find the double pluggers here, most of ours are singles.😁

Just had a look at Carbatec here in Auckland, but they only show the mitreing attachments, but nothing in stock, (all back order.) Strangely enough they are just across the road from the old Criterion factory complex (in red)- Carbatec in yellow.

JB
    stevedownunder
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks for the interesting insight into professional woodworking equipment, and the CKD explanation what we would call "flat pack" bit like jandels and thongs 😁

I do recall the name Criterion.

The Incra is American the original and still available is in imperial as would be expected, mine is metric, everything is included along with the templates, the woodpecker base I don't think is available any more.

I got mine from Timbecon in Melbourne, looks like Ubuy or Carbatec carry Incra in your neck of the woods.

Cheers,
    Stephen.

Cheers,
    Stephen.
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Stephen, looks pretty nice and compact and would be nice and accurate to use. Nice to be able to adjust things that finely.

The SCM (ITALY) table saw was similar to this,

https://www.scmgroup.com/en_US/scmwood/products/joinery-mach...

but an earlier model. Beam adjusts for angles/length/stops etc, saw tilts, has a scribing saw before the main blade. Very nice saw. Neighbour who does kitchens has a similar saw (different make) so if I need anything cut, I can ask him. CKD (completely knocked down -kitset) Company I worked for (Criterion Furniture) was the biggest in NZ. Used to originally make TV cabinets and a range of speakers (Wharfdale, JVC etc,) then changed to kitset furniture,- entertainment systems, TV cabinets, desks etc.

They had a sales branch in OZ and Japan as well. They originally made all of the old component cabinets (record player on top) for Technics, (Panasonic) but lost the contract to South America. We made a few million of their cabinets. The 2 brothers bought only the best machinery from Gabiani, Morbidelli, SCM, Stefani, Wadkin etc, -great machines to use. SCM owns or has merged with all of the Italian ones now.

Where is your Incra made,? might see if there are any here to look at. Does it come with all the templates, or do you just buy them as required? Good tools make woodworking so much easier and neater.

JB
    https://www.scmgroup.com/en_US/scmwood/products/joinery-machines.c884/sliding-table-saws.896/nova-si-400.586
    πŸ”—
    stevedownunder
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi JB,

The micro adjustment works off a thumb wheel with detent's each detent/notch being .05mm.
    The brilliant thing in my opinion is the main adjustment is done with a thread this gives you quick accurate and repeatable positioning, the thread on my one is 1mm pitch.

The main use for the Incra is for doing all sorts of joints from dovetail to almost what ever you like, they supply templates that are inserted into a channel in the Aluminum extrusion, at the moment I only have a metric rule inserted.

Here are a few more photos to show what I am talking about.

I am guessing that SCM is a brand of table saw, though I don't know what CKD means.

Sounds like an interesting piece of equipment.

Cheers,
    Stephen.
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thought it might be a few bob Stephen, but as you say, worth it for the adjustments I'm assuming it has Vernier scales on the slides. We used SCM table saws where I worked in a big CKD furniture co here, and they had all the fences etc for angles, bevels etc, and were great for accurate cutting. We worked to +.3mm -0 for everything which was nice to be able to do. They had a huge Italian Morbidelli (same family as the guy who races motorbikes) machining line about 100ft long, with micrometer scales, and you could get the board dimensioning saws to 0, pretty amazing.

JB
    stevedownunder
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi JB,

Thanks for the complement, I think so as well. 😁

Yeah the Incra was certainly more than I would spend on a bottle of Scotch, coming in at a little shy of $700 AU, worth it I think considering the amount of versatility it offers.

Cheers,
    Stephen.
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Stephen, nifty bit of kit! like the way you did the router height adjuster using the original gauge mount. What did the Incra Jig set you back,?- not the price of a tray of Fosters, I'll bet😁

JB
    Show 1 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info