• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Servo issues etc
    by cenbeth πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Chief Petty Officer 1st Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    13 Posts 12 Replies 0 Photos 21 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    cenbeth
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Servo issues etc
    Flag
    Online: 10 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Dave
    I've stripped the main sail servos out and I've mislead you all. The arm servo is HiTec HS-765HB and the main sail is a Futaba S5801.
    Cheers
    Edward
    dave976
    Master Seaman
    πŸ“ Servo issues etc
    Flag
    Online: 19 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Edward
    Thanks for the update.
    I do need to know the actual servos you are using as arm and drum servos have different end points. Is there no marking on the servo? When you operate your drum servos how many revolutions do they make from centre neutral stick to each extreem?
    You say the battery splits via a y lead is this the motor battery? Do the two drum servos have a separate positive supply that connects to your bus bar?
    As you are having problems with the Esc and motor I suggest you disconnect everything from the Rx and then switch on your Tx and just connect the ESC to channel 2 and follow the Mtronic set up instructions for the Viper 15. If the motor works OK then that problem is solved. I would then test each of the other channels with the rudder servo to make sure they are all working leaving the rudder attached to channel 4. Connect the main sail to ch 3 and see how many turns the drum makes when you move the stick to both extreems. If you need more turns you can adjust the end point for channel three on your tx. The instructions are in the manual (available for download on line). If this is sufficient then you can try the same with channel 1 but the servo with the arm may restrict how far you can adjust the end point If it were me I would ditch the arm servo and just use the drum for both Jib and Foresail.
    Hopefully you will have partial sucess with these suggestions
    Dave
    cenbeth
    πŸ“ Servo issues etc
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Stephen

I've just measured the model; its 4 foot long pus 15.5 inch bowsprit. It has a 14 inch beam and the draft is about 6 inches plis 4 inches for the bulb keel (detachable)
    Cheers
    Edward
    cenbeth
    πŸ“ Servo issues etc
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Dave

I'll try and answer your questions.

Ch1 Jib (arm) & Foresail (drum)via Y adapter
    Ch 2 Speed controller; Mtronics Viper Marine 15
    Ch 3 Main Sail - Drum
    Ch 4 rudder - normal high power servo.

The battery splits via a Y lead to the Mtronics and a bus bar that serves the two drum winches.

All servos are Futaba. I am not aware that Futaba make different drum winches and I've thrown away the boxes. I would have bought the strongest they do at the time.

The tests done so far have been under a No Load state so the current draw should be minimal.

Does this help?

Edward
    dave976
    Master Seaman
    πŸ“ Servo issues etc
    Flag
    Online: 19 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Cenbeth
    As you have found FrSky do sell FASST compatible Rx to work with your Futaba and I have used exactly the same set up with some of my boats.
    If I understand correctly you are using five devices to control your model
    a) rudder servo
    b)Main Sail drum
    c)Esc for motor
    d)Jib servo arm
    e)Fore Sail drum.
    To understand further we need to know which Rx channels are attached to which device ie a) to ch1 etc. If you are using Y leads please also indicate the connections.
    Secondly what exactly are your drum servo types?
    I have a Cariad and use a Hitek large main arm servo to control the mainsail and jib. A rudder servo and an Esc for the motor. I did fit a separate servo to control the jib and fore sail and whilst it worked it was very difficult to use in practice at any distance from the shore so I removed it and now just allow the jib and foresail to set at their own pace. I do have a shroud to adjust the set.
    If you are using the Mtronic ESC to power all those servos I suspect you could be drawing more current than its design and might need to use a separate battery or UBec with higher capacity. This might be the cause of your lack of motor control if the ESC is shutting down under load.
    Sorry for the long post but hope we can help if you provide the info
    Dave
    ToraDog
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ Servo issues etc
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Another option is a servo that provides more throw out of the box. I am using GoBilda torque servos, which provide 180 degree rotation as supplied. if a Servo Morph is added to the circuit, the servo will provide 300 degrees rotation. They run around $35 US. GoBilda will sell direct. https://www.gobilda.com/ Make sure that you choose the Torque version, as the speed versio is too weak for a sail servo.
    As for your ESC, it is a separate issue and it sounds as if you have a car ESC, which will lack reverse. the other possibility is that your FrSky radio is set up for an aircraft throttle, rather than a reversing marine throttle. I am running FrSky in my boats and had to change the previously installed programing. Worth a look.
    https://www.gobilda.com/
    πŸ”—
    GaryLC
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ Servo issues etc
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Yes, the speed controller will work alongside these units, normally your servo is plugged into the receiver. With the servo morph, this is plugged into the receiver and the servo is plugged into the servo morph, which alters the speed and operating angle of the servo to your requirements, the maximum setting being around 180 degrees. Regards, Gary. (You will need to buy a separate servomorph P96 for each servo you are using.)
    Gary Steam Marine, the only way to go.
    cenbeth
    πŸ“ Servo issues etc
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Stephen,
    The model is about 4 feet long, plus a bow sprit. It has a beam of about 12 inches. The ballast is about 12Kg. Sorry about the range of units - put it down to my age!
    Yes, it is an auxiliary motor; a monoperm special if I remember correctly. The speed controller is a Milltronics. I can do some pictures but not now; its bed time here!
    The Servomorph P96 is currently unavailable and I'm waiting to hear from Components Shop when they hop to have them.
    Edward
    stevedownunder
    Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Servo issues etc
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi cenbeth,

How big is your model, I don't know what you mean by twice scale, sorry.

Firstly some Frsky receivers are compatible with some Futaba transmitters I think it is the FASST protocol.

I am guessing you have a auxiliary motor therefore a speed controller, can you provide some details of this controller and motor or is there an instruction manual? Some speed controllers are only one direction.

How about posting a bit of a build log or at least a couple of pics?

Cheers,
    Stephen.
    cenbeth
    πŸ“ Servo issues etc
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Garry, I'll give it a try. Will they work with the speed controller too? Edward
    Show 3 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info