• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Sail and mast rigging
    by Muskrat πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Petty Officer 1st Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    72 Posts 71 Replies 17 Photos 177 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Muskrat
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Sail and mast rigging
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Martin, I will post some more photo's and text next week as I am waiting for materials which is due Monday.
    j a Easter.
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Muskrat,
    I am following this log and it would be interesting to see some photos of how you are getting over this problem along with the text, as it will also benefit others that might have the same sort of problem.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    Muskrat
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi I have two straps around the Hull now one all the way round and the other around the middle under very little tension to just pull the top in very slightly but we'll pleased it not take to much at all. I will leave on for now Basswood coming Monday. I will finish the Hull strengthening first next week, then open up the hole in stern to lift the propshaft a little to fit the bigger prop. Hope the weather behaves and the fibreglass goes off ok. I will send my full name and address later when I get home.

Cheers Jon.
    j a Easter.
    dave976
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Jon
    You could use thin rope or even string. Just use some small pieces of ply or thick card under the rope to protect the gel coat on the hull. It should not need a great deal of force as you will be putting it in the same shape as it was in the mould. I should mention that at the bow and stern the curvature will require the stringer to bend. If you cut 1/2 way thro the stringer at say every 1/4" it will then be easier to bend to shape. Just soak the cuts and stringer in glue and clamp to the hull and adjust the inside spacers to give the correct shape. Do look down the length of the hull on each side and make sure there are no obvious dips or bulges. A one meter rule is useful but there may be a flare on the plan so make sure it looks right as any mistakes will need repairing or you will have to look at them forever☹️.
    You may need to raise the height of the prop shaft so you have room to fit a lower mount for the rudder. You can repair any holes with P34 or similar.
    I have just released the keels from the mould so if the weather is not too cold I will join the two together and when hardened I can smooth off and they will be ready to send, hopfully next week. PM me your name and address please
    Cheers
    Dave
    Muskrat
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Dave, I think I follow that I need to find a strap I can use first and some Basswood which I can get local to me. I really appreciate your help I did not realise how much I needed to learn about boat building with a glass fibre Hull. I will use the 40mm prop and open the hole slightly.

Cheers Jon
    j a Easter.
    dave976
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Jon
    It is your choice but if you do that the plan will no longer match the hull. Meaning any measurements you make would need to be adjusted. I suggest you pull the hull to match the dimensions on the plan. Normally you would run and glue a stringer (1/4" basswood etc) at deck level all round the inside of the hull. You then use clamps to hold in position (I use straps wrapped round the hull and scraps of wood between the stringers). When set you can fit your deck beams by cutting a slot at each end to accomodate the stringers. It is quite common for fibreglass mouldings to lose their shape when out of the mould and that is an advantage of making your own as you can put the hull back in the mould and fit the stringers and beams so it follows the mould.
    You are doing well but do take your time as any errors now will cause you grief later on.
    I believe the bigger prop would be a better choice.
    Glad you like the pics.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Muskrat
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Dave How right you are and learn by your mistakes the Hull is wider than that the plan so I will be using the Hull and not the plan for measurements. Thank again Dave796πŸ€”
    j a Easter.
    Muskrat
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    All very nice looking sail boats in fact the three sail looks very similar to mine.
    j a Easter.
    Muskrat
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    OK Dave I will take that on board with the fibreglass and the propellor in fact I have got a 40mm prop because did think the one I had Look a little small and a seven inch propshaft as the six inch a little short.

Cheers Jon.
    j a Easter.
    dave976
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Jon
    Just had a quick look for video of Brian Clewes' Amelie Rose but not found any so far. I am posting some pics that may interest you in the meantime
    Dave
    Show 62 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info