• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    O,Dear back to the building board.
    by jimdogge ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    15 Posts 14 Replies 5 Photos 31 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ O,Dear back to the building board.
    Flag
    Online: 24 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi JB, as you obviously know the racing rules. A plywood racing dinghy, a Snipe if I remember correctly, at the entrance to the dinghy park. A large hole in the side and the written caption, 'I was on Starboard.'

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    zooma
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 4 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Jim,
    Thank you for your offer for the Wave Princess plans and build instructions.
    I would like to take you up on your offer and maybe do a build of it (from your plans) on here?
    I have sent you a PM.
    Many thanks,
    Bob.
    Never too old to learn
    roycv
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi all, I do not think it is limited to 'old uns' as so many boaters know where their boat is but do not know where it is going!
    Roy (old un)
    dave976
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Jim
    How terrible, and what kind of modeller damages another's model and shows no remorse or offers compensation.

We have rules in my club that require the offender to apologise and make good or be subject to a meeting with the committee which could result in expulsion. We all make mistakes but this is our hobby for enjoyment without causing damage.

As Colin says the offenders third party insurance may pay, that's assuming he had any.

Looking at the damage I would carefully check for any splits running beneath the paint from the damage area requiring a possibly bigger hole than the damaged area. Colin's method will work if you use thin ply strips cut to fit and glue inside the hull and to the former. The former should help with getting the correct shape. You could use several layers of thin glued ply to build up to the hull profile making a very strong repair that should sand to be almost invisible.

I hope the repair goes well and that you share the method used for the benefit of our members.
    Dave
    jimdogge
    Flag
    Online: 22 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Bob if your interested in a wave princess l still have the plan and build instructions.
    Regards Jim.
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Jim, bit of a shame, but at least it's fixable, just a bloody nuisance. I had a similar thing happen to my 18ft 'A' Class Cat, while sailing in a big cat marathon on Auckland harbour, when some shirt lifter on a windsurfer jumped off in front of me, and kicked his board out as he did,- straight into my port hull, putting a huge horizontal split in it under the center cross beam (cold moulded ply hull) about 6"above the waterline. He was going to try and escape, but I forced him to shore, and threatened him or his board with bodily harm if he didn't do something.

He went off in his car, and came back with loads of masking tape and blue tack which I lathered onto the hull, as I had about 10 miles to sail back to the start where my car was. By the time I got back, all the tape had fallen off, but luckily no water got in. Had to withdraw from the race (was catching up with the leaders at that stage), but had a nice surprise about 2 months later, when I had a letter from the organisers telling me I had won the draw for a 6 day trip to Fiji, staying at the Sheraton Resort in Nadi, - sort of made up for it !

Repaired the hull by cutting a layer of lamination all round about 2"back from the crack and laying layers of f/glass cloth in the recess. Worked out well, and you couldn't tell it was there afterwards. Luckily the hull was Dynel covered which took a lot of the impact.

JB
    Colin H
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Jim, I'm happy you found my suggestion useful.
    If there is much curve in the area it may be beneficial to pre curve the ribs, also not having the actual size of the damaged area, it may also need the new skin panel pre-bending.
    Give me a shout if you need any more information.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    jimdogge
    Flag
    Online: 22 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi guys thanks for the commiserations. It looks worse than it is l will have to complete the repair the way Colin H ( cheers Colin) described as there is a full bulkhead just behind the break, cant access it from the inside.
    Regards Jim.
    Colin H
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Just a thought, if on club water the other members insurance should pay to either replace or repair your model.
    Cheers Colin.
    Colin H
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Jim, have had similar damage to a couple of boats, that only had access via the hole made by the damage.
    In both cases I repaired without further damage to the hull, by carefully cutting away the splintered surrounding edge, then cutting a new piece to fit exactly in the hole.
    Before fitting the new piece I cut braces out of 4x4 timber longer than the hole and glued in place inside to act as ribs to stick the new piece to.
    I would cut at the blue line and fit ribs at yellow lines.
    Once all set I then sand and fill Before coating with ezekote and glass cloth.
    After which you can sand and finish in your chosen method.
    I hope this helps with your problem.
    Cheers Colin.
    Show 5 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info