• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Does anybody recognise this?
    by peewit πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Master Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    15 Posts 14 Replies 3 Photos 16 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    roycv
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Does anybody recognise this?
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I have the Sarik plans for the GB fishing boat and also the glass hull. The deck has a pronounced step and the stern is almost square with rounded corners. The profile looks about right.
    This plan ws drawn by LR Armstrong and he according to article liked using old floor boards B & B and a piece of steel as the keel weight.

There should be about 8 Dory boats on board which did the line fishing and space to store them. If you want scale info then the cheapest way is to buy the film "Captains Couragious" with Spencer Tracy.

The middle part of the film is filmed on the fishing boats on-deck and below and there are often half a dozen in view for the shots at sea.
    The heavy seas shots and the race are pretty good.

The start of the film is a bit heavy going but sets up the selfish/over privileged character of the lad who gets picked up by a fishing boat.
    regards
    Roy
    peewit
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    It’s not going to be particularly difficult to restore but their are going to be a few β€œwhy the hell would you do it like that” comments made as I do it.
    peewit
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I recon probably 1960s

Looking at the build I would recon the chap was probably into bigger woodworking. The hull is very well made but the β€œfiddly bits” not so well.

I have already scraped of, sanded down and given the deck it’s first coat of satin yatch varnish. I think my target is go get it sailing for a brief outing to Woodbridge model boat pond on Boxing Day.
    Nerys
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 15 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Maybe there weren't any plans, perhaps the builder just built her. That wouldn't have been unusual in the days of bread and butter construction. I remember it well, I'm afraid. There were many builders of traditional working craft that just built there vessels 'by eye' and they invariably worked out perfectly well. Just think, if you don't build to a plan, you can alter things as you progress.

Cheers,
    Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    dave976
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Smiffy
    From your further description this sounds very typical of a 1960's or earlier build when bread and butter was more common and Cascamite was very much in favour. My early pond yacht from this period also used lots of hooks to mount the mast.

I have some early Model Maker and Model Boat mags and they may contain some info, but it may take time. It was popular at that time for a modeller to see a pic and make a best guess copy in which case plans may not be available.

Maybe some of our members over the pond will be able to help?

I look forward to seeing how you progress
    Dave
    Smiffy
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 23 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    As I mentioned in an earlier post Sarik Hobbies have a plan for the Grand Banks schooner but buying plans to see if they match could get expensive! I seem to recall that there was also a kit available for this particular vessel many years ago in the 20th Century or is that just an old man’s imagination πŸ€”. Anyway, best of luck with what sounds like a tricky restoration
    peewit
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi,
    It’s definitely a Grand Banks but what I am trying to find out is if it was built from any particular plan. The hull has been well carved and is bread and butter and the deck planked with pine ?

Hull length 34 inches.

The builder definitely liked cascamite wood glue because it’s all over the place and they didn’t wipe it of.

The masts and how they fit to the deck is - well odd and the rigging is mental; hooks everywhere and a lot of them in the wrong places.

Sails are made from kite material, very light and serviceable but looks a bit naf close up.

I will post more as I chip away the glue.

I may put radio in it but initially will probably set it up for free sailing as well as I want to see how it sails first.

I like schooners both old and new and have three or four. I introduced fast free sailing class A schooners to the Southwold Free sailing regattas about 20 years ago. 27 inches long, three pounds all up weight 2 pounds of which was in the bulb keel on a Victorian split keel 14 inches down.

I attach a photo just taken from a picture on the wall of gelt
    Which wone the A class championships at Southwold.
    dave976
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Yes definitely a Schooner and looks to be well made. Are you intending to fit RC or try and free sail? We sail several 5' model schooners at my club- pic attached
    Dave
    roycv
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi I agree with Smiffy it looks like a Grand Banks fishing schooner. Also the sails look very good, which suggests a well built model.
    regrds
    Roy
    Morant
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 4 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi shipmates ... does any one know were I can get scale stansions fo a 47 inch Watson lifeboat ... thanks
    Show 5 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info