Hi Nerys, all comments noted and seem to concur with information received from "dave 976".
- with the experience and enthusiasm that you both share with us all, its appreciated that yourself and Colin are there to help "trim the sails and man the tiller ".
Stay safe and thanks again !
Phil
👍⛵
Hi Nerys, all comments noted and seem to concur with information received from "dave 976".
- with the experience and enthusiasm that you both share with us all, its appreciated that yourself and Colin are there to help "trim the sails and man the tiller ".
Stay safe and thanks again !
Phil
👍⛵
Obviously she has been beautifully carved by a genuine craftsman from a solid block of wood, possibly mahogany? so is not an off the shelf factory made pond yacht. I would imagine the keel would be carved from a separate piece of wood. Is there any ballast in the keel? she'll need a fair bit. A simple bermudan sloop rig would be the easiest to make and fit and would be perfectly acceptable, but she is a classical,beauty and could well have been rigged as a gaff cutter complete with topsail and bowsprit when originally built.
Cheers, Nerys
Obviously she has been beautifully carved by a genuine craftsman from a solid block of wood, possibly mahogany? so is not an off the shelf factory made pond yacht. I would imagine the keel would be carved from a separate piece of wood. Is there any ballast in the keel? she'll need a fair bit. A simple bermudan sloop rig would be the easiest to make and fit and would be perfectly acceptable, but she is a classical,beauty and could well have been rigged as a gaff cutter complete with topsail and bowsprit when originally built.
Cheers, Nerys
When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
Hi Phil
Glad to have helped and you can probably restore to near original condition.
Yes very similar to the Star range. We saw lots on the original New Brighton Pond when I sailed there in the 1970's.
I'm glad you agree your model owes its heritage to the book. We have a version in the club built by Harry Knapper. Now with its fourth owner. Plank on frame and I repaired for the Club before we sold on. Had to cover in light weigh cloth and resin to make watertight but now sailing happily. Pic attached before restoration.
Looking forward to seeing how you progress
Dave
[{"id":"163855771978","name":"163855771978","caption":"","url":"https:\/\/model-boats.com\/media\/163855771978\/l","thumbUrl":"https:\/\/model-boats.com\/media\/163855771978\/s","isImage":false,"ext":"file"}]
Hi Phil
Glad to have helped and you can probably restore to near original condition.
Yes very similar to the Star range. We saw lots on the original New Brighton Pond when I sailed there in the 1970's.
I'm glad you agree your model owes its heritage to the book. We have a version in the club built by Harry Knapper. Now with its fourth owner. Plank on frame and I repaired for the Club before we sold on. Had to cover in light weigh cloth and resin to make watertight but now sailing happily. Pic attached before restoration.
Looking forward to seeing how you progress
Dave
Fantastic Dave !!! - all received 100% - I can see the resemblance to my yacht on page 17 -fig 13 & fig 15.
Now just need to think about the Bermuda / Gaff variations , with or without Bowsprit ?.
This challenge really appeals to me as it remindes a "STAR" Yacht that I had back in 1957 ?.
Many thanks again Dave ,
Cheers
Phil⛵👍
Fantastic Dave !!! - all received 100% - I can see the resemblance to my yacht on page 17 -fig 13 & fig 15.
Now just need to think about the Bermuda / Gaff variations , with or without Bowsprit ?.
This challenge really appeals to me as it remindes a "STAR" Yacht that I had back in 1957 ?.
When in High School we did something like it as work shop project. From a solid block of wood we were given templates to saw in the outside frame outlines, then with a planer shaped the hull and then carved out the inside hull. The hull was much deeper thou.
I would guess, because it seems very shallow, this one may be somebody's fantasy design.
When in High School we did something like it as work shop project. From a solid block of wood we were given templates to saw in the outside frame outlines, then with a planer shaped the hull and then carved out the inside hull. The hull was much deeper thou.
I would guess, because it seems very shallow, this one may be somebody's fantasy design.
Hi Colin , trust you are well. Yes ok on the Bermuda Rig / J Class style. Id did wonder if it was following the Dragon style ? but this does not have a flat stern.
Perhaps Dave976 is on the right track with an early "Pond Yacht" design ?? - unfortunately I dont seem to be able to DM him ?.
Stay well & keep sailing
cheers
Phil⛵
Hi Colin , trust you are well. Yes ok on the Bermuda Rig / J Class style. Id did wonder if it was following the Dragon style ? but this does not have a flat stern.
Perhaps Dave976 is on the right track with an early "Pond Yacht" design ?? - unfortunately I dont seem to be able to DM him ?.
Stay well & keep sailing
cheers
Phil⛵
Mmmm ! - Re private message Dave , sorry cant find your name listing ??
Ref . PDF copy of a 1930's book Model Boat Building 1930's
OOH -👍 Yes please Dave !
Hi Philcaretaker
Looks like a pond yacht probably from the mid 1900s era. Should sail well with a set of sails and rudder only as this was probably how the original was sailed. If the hull is shellacked then this would confirm its age as that was common at the time, as was the use of brass screws. Certainly looks nicely carved so possibly made by a carpenter.
I have a PDF copy of a 1930's book Model Boat Building 1930's which shows very similar models to yours. PM sent
dave
Hi Philcaretaker
Looks like a pond yacht probably from the mid 1900s era. Should sail well with a set of sails and rudder only as this was probably how the original was sailed. If the hull is shellacked then this would confirm its age as that was common at the time, as was the use of brass screws. Certainly looks nicely carved so possibly made by a carpenter.
I have a PDF copy of a 1930's book Model Boat Building 1930's which shows very similar models to yours. PM sent
dave
I was given this boat as another " Save me from the tip " project. Seeing how it has been "pains takingly" carved from a solid piece of beautiful dark wood, I can see that it must have some interesting history (Disregarding what looks like a more recent addition of fixing screws and rudder tube.
With dexterity reduced due to health and old age I don`t promise that she will be a pretty sight - but I am determined to make her sail for the first time . (at least rudder only)
So guys ! - any ideas on design / sail configuration or history !!!! ????
**My last tip savage here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyuhfWJJQOg
[{"id":"163853020386","name":"163853020386","caption":"","url":"https:\/\/model-boats.com\/media\/163853020386\/l","thumbUrl":"https:\/\/model-boats.com\/media\/163853020386\/s","isImage":false,"ext":"file"},{"id":"163853020472","name":"163853020472","caption":"","url":"https:\/\/model-boats.com\/media\/163853020472\/l","thumbUrl":"https:\/\/model-boats.com\/media\/163853020472\/s","isImage":false,"ext":"file"},{"id":"163853020724","name":"163853020724","caption":"","url":"https:\/\/model-boats.com\/media\/163853020724\/l","thumbUrl":"https:\/\/model-boats.com\/media\/163853020724\/s","isImage":false,"ext":"file"},{"id":"163853021135","name":"163853021135","caption":"","url":"https:\/\/model-boats.com\/media\/163853021135\/l","thumbUrl":"https:\/\/model-boats.com\/media\/163853021135\/s","isImage":false,"ext":"file"},{"id":"163853021299","name":"163853021299","caption":"","url":"https:\/\/model-boats.com\/media\/163853021299\/l","thumbUrl":"https:\/\/model-boats.com\/media\/163853021299\/s","isImage":false,"ext":"file"}]
I was given this boat as another " Save me from the tip " project. Seeing how it has been "pains takingly" carved from a solid piece of beautiful dark wood, I can see that it must have some interesting history (Disregarding what looks like a more recent addition of fixing screws and rudder tube.
With dexterity reduced due to health and old age I don`t promise that she will be a pretty sight - but I am determined to make her sail for the first time . (at least rudder only)
So guys ! - any ideas on design / sail configuration or history !!!! ????