• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Wiring led
    by bombero ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ ( Chief Petty Officer 1st Class)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    25 Posts 24 Replies 3 Photos 15 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Hillro
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Wiring led
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi
    Wow, you have a lot of battery options.
    What I would do is decide on your battery option.
    Then fit a motor and esc to suit this.
    Then arrange the leds to suit that.
    Can you detail what you have with regards to the boat. Are you building it or is it already built?
    Regards
    Robert
    dave976
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Wiring led
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi fulmic
    LEDS require a constant voltage and this can easily be achieved by using a series resistor between the battery and the LED.
    Different coloured LEDs require different voltages so you cannot mix red and green leds connected to one resistor. I use a separate resistor for each type of coloured led. For 12v I use a 1K to 1.5K depending on how bright you want. For 6v >470ohm works but again adjust to suit. LEDs are diodes and if you do not limit the current they will self distruct very quickly. You can connect say 4 LEDS in series and attach to a 6v supply but I would always use a few hundred ohm resistor also in series to protect the dead short failure of one of the Leds.
    As regards a battery there are devices on line that will reduce your main battery voltage to 2v to 3v or you could use a single LiFePO4 cell at 3.3v.
    dave976
    fulmic
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Wiring led
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Robert maybe first i need to understand if use a 6V lead battery pack or utilize Lipo 3S or 4S. After that i need to define how to proceed. My idea is always to reduce the park of battery, more i have more job is request for maintenance. Is not a problem of money the topic is that the boat will be use anyway not so offend and i do not like to keep a Lead 6V battery in stand by for long time. If you think is possible for me is much better utilize 3S or 4S Lipo but i need the tension reducer that need to be install before ESC in this case between exit of battery and entry of ESC.
    fulmic
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Wiring led
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Sorry maybe i done confusion
    The original boat used a 6 volts. Later on i start to think that i can use the Lipo battery that i have for my gliders that are 4S with 3200 mA/h.
    But if i use this battery and i do not buy a new 6Volt Lead battery i can have problems with motor that works with 6V. Because 4S Lipo has 14.4 Volts. In this case i need a Tension reducer. But i need to put this reducer between the battery pack and the ESC in order to entry in ESC with 6Volts. Can i find a regulator? I can use also 3S Lipo that also i use for my airplanes. I can use 2 packs of 3S in serial in order to have always 11,1V but 2200x2 mA/H. But also in this case i need the tension regulator from 11,1V to 6V Base on it (if i use the Lipo 3S or 4S). Before my question was just to understand if i can use Leds of 12Volts with a battery of 6V as the original battery package, What about the light intensity? Thansk
    Hillro
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Wiring led
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    HI Here is a link to an article on led wiring.

Https://thenrg.org/resources/Documents/articles/LEDLightingF...
    ttps://thenrg.org/resources/Documents/articles/LEDLightingForModelShips.pdf
    ๐Ÿ”—
    Hillro
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Wiring led
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi, I am a bit confused. On your original inquiry you mentioned a 12volt battery.
    Now six volts then 7.2volts.
    You will need a different dropping resistor for each voltage.
    A 12volt led may work on 7.2volt but would be dim.
    You mention flickering when the motor is running. I have not found this to be an issue are the leds power should be directly to the battery via a fuse so any voltage changes on the battery should be minimal.
    All I can suggest is that you have to experiment a bit.
    Another solution it to use wheat grain bulbs to the correct voltage. This removes the need for resistors.
    Regards
    Robert
    fulmic
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Wiring led
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hillro, good morning, i need to ask the following
    I founded on Amazon a set of LED 3mm Dia at 12 Volts already with resistance inserted according the different colors.
    Question
    In order to avoid to utilize the 6V battery of the motor also for LED, in this case i avoid to see the LED blinking by the motor run, can i use an extra battery dedicated only for LED at 7,2 Volt? because the the LED has 12Volts? In different words can the LED of 12Vols work with 7,2 Volts? Thanks Fulvio
    Hillro
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Wiring led
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Good morning
    Once you ideas come together, just make a sketch of the circuits you intend to use. Photograph them then post them here. I am sure lots of members would add their assistance.
    Robert
    fulmic
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Wiring led
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Good Morning Robert. thanks for the explanation, i understood but now i need to develop the concept in order to understand what i would like to for my boat. I suppose that i will back to you because any way by backgraund is mechanical and i have few ideas about electrical topic. Thanks Robert for now. Ciao Fulvio
    Hillro
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Wiring led
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi,
    The first thing to understand is that different colours require different voltages eg white =3 volts red = 1.5 volts.
    So using a 12 volts dc battery you will need to included a resistor to drop the voltage to suit the led being used.
    There is a lot of info on the Internet on how to calculate resistance value.
    With reference in how to wire them, just wire them in parallel in groups that you want to switch. Supplied from the battery via a fuse.

With reference to general lighting on the boat you could wire 4 white leds in series , this would remove the need for resistors. This works by dropping 3 volts across each leds.
    Note leds are polarity sensitive so make sure they are connected correctly.

There is lots of info on the Internet,
    Some model boat shops sites have the info you require.
    Get back to me if you need more assistance
    Robert.
    Show 15 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info