• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    How do you draw bulkheads etc, from a 2 view plan?
    by Madwelshman ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Midshipman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    20 Posts 19 Replies 21 Photos 23 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Madwelshman
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ“ How do you draw bulkheads etc, from a 2 view plan?
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    That's a very kind offer Ron, thank you very much.

I am more than happy to send you a copy of the plan to look at, but please don't feel that i am asking you to do anymore than just have a look at it Ron

I should add, that this quest has mostly been to increase my knowledge around model boat building and has never been a plea for anyone to do the hard part for me.
    Yes, myself and Zooma would like to build a Stiletto each, so the end result is obviously being able to draw up the templates needed to build them, but this thread has been about gaining the understanding of how some of you are able to work this out from just 2 view plans.

I'm so thankful to everyone who has taken the time to reply to my post, no matter how detailed your reply has been, its all knowledge that I'm grateful you're willing to share with me and others on these great forums.

Ron, the plan I have is on my laptop and not my phone, so I will send it to you tomorrow when I get home from work.

I did have another go last night on some 3d software, at drawing templates using my original 45 degree line method and they look like they could well be correct/close, but how accurate, I do not know.
    It has still been interesting having a go though and my plan is to do the same for an Aerokits plan that I also have a copy of the templates for and see how similar (or different) mine are in comparison to those that were done by drawing around parts before a build.

Will
    Precedent Perkasa MTB 49 1/2" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 46" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 42" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 36" Aerokits Sea Commander 34" Aerokits Sea Rover 29 1/2" SLEC Fairey Huntress 23"
    Ron
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Send me a picture of the plan view you have and I will look it over
    Madwelshman
    Midshipman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thank you very much JB for your detailed reply, that all makes complete sense.
    I will give that method a go and see how I get on with it.

Thank you.
    Will
    Precedent Perkasa MTB 49 1/2" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 46" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 42" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 36" Aerokits Sea Commander 34" Aerokits Sea Rover 29 1/2" SLEC Fairey Huntress 23"
    Madwelshman
    Midshipman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Ron, the only measurements that I have are length and beam, which is a good start at least.
    The same applies to any of my Aerokits plans, I know each ones LOA and beam.

I will have to find my protractor etc from my school days, I think I still have it somewhere and I'll get a set of dividers too.

Thank you
    Will
    Ron
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Well spoken ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
    Plus you will find measuring tools very helpful such as dividers, protractor, set squares, small easy to read ruler. White gum eraser. a sharp pencil, and patience.
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 4 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    There is a way of doing it, but it requires a bit of guesswork here and there.
    This is roughly how boat plans were drawn years ago before computers.
    Print your drawings full scale (top and side views) line up the 2 drawings exactly at the transom
    For the hull,- vertical measurements
    Draw a straight line along the keel as far as you can (don't worry if the keel curves up)
    Divide the side view into say 200mm intervals (for the bulkheads)
    Measure up from your datum line to all points, (chine, deck etc,) (Do this with cabin later)
    Transfer the complete keel shape/depth you require (up to the bow) to another piece of paper with the same datum line and measurements (by tracing)
    Make the complete keel (I do it with a double ply makeup with a long slot built into the section for the prop shaft tube so it can be adjusted for angle)

Hull beam measurements
    Do the same for the hull, taking in all points up to the cabin (plus whatever extra required to mount cabin)
    Mark the bulkhead positions and measure across these points,- this will give you the top width of the bulkheads.

Take your side measurements, transfer them (along with the datum line, wider than the deck width) to another piece of paper, (draw a center line 90deg off the datum line and mark your measurements up the center line.
    Extend those out both sides to the deck width lines dropped down to the datum line.
    Draw lines from the keel out to these points,- ( this should give you a bottom shape)

This is where the guesswork comes in and a bit of experimenting is required. Cut your bulkheads to your drawing (they will be straight sided) then you will have to blend them to the required flare (if any) and hull shape.

I start with a 5x5mm spine screwed to the building board, over the greaseproof paper covered drawing, and notch the tops of the bulkheads to fit tightly in the correct positions. I then work with a length of 3x3mm balsa or spruce, to get the chine looking right, (look down from the top to check the curve ) When you are happy, mark these points on the bulkheads, (measure one side and transfer) You can then develop your required hull shape from the bottom up on one side. Once done, remove the bulkheads and transfer the shape to the other side.

Cabin sides can be copied directly and with the use of a few cardboard templates, can be built over the drawing as well. Quite a satisfactory result can be had. My HSL, Hartley, and a good part of the runabout were done this way. Hard to describe, but you might get the idea. The full scale Hacker plan might help.

JB
    Ron
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    You need some measurements and I do not see any. In an earlier reply I mentioned that these kits have a similar hull design and shape.

Isometric 3 view projection
    Hugh
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Those drawings are in 3rd angle projection. Ist angle used to be used in the UK, and sometimes called English projection.

You need to draw, i.e. copy those views, Front and Plan , on to some drawing paper, then project an end view. Difficult to explain without showing you. Have you a drawing board and instruments ?
    Madwelshman
    Midshipman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hugh, have a look at the image attached to my 1st post. If that is what that refers to, then yes.

I would like to know how to draw 2d diagrams for bulkheads etc, from a plan that only has two views, a side view and a top view.
    An example of such, would be a Lesro or Aerokits plan.

Will
    Hugh
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Are you talking about 3rd angle projection?
    Cheers,
    Hugh๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Show 10 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info