• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    ESC(s) for My recent Shelley Foss acquisition
    by DWBrinkman ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ ( Midshipman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    6 Posts 5 Replies 2 Photos 10 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    dave976
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ ESC(s) for My recent Shelley Foss acquisition
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Dave B
    For your Brushed Motor set up.
    2 ESC's
    In all cases you need to disconnect the red lead from one of the Esc's.
    Pro's: You can control each motor separately if you use two channels on your Tx/Rx; The model will be able to turn in its own length; If one motor stops you can use the other motor to return to the side of the lake.
    Con's: If you use a Y lead to connect both ESC's to one channel you will lose separate control and if the motors or props are not balanced one may run faster than the other; A dead motor will require recovery.
    1 ESC
    Pro's: Easy to set up;
    Con's; the Esc will need to be rated at the max current for both motors; Similar problems with unbalanced motors or props.
    Programable TX
    Many systems offer mixing facilities allowing you to run say two motors on separate ESC's connected to two channels. You can then use one stick as a master channel and the other as a slave. This avoids using tank steering.
    Mixing attachments
    You can buy external attachments that will allow you to use one channel to control two ESC's and also link in the rudder control to reduce the inner prop speed on turns.
    I have used all variants and all work but for a tug I prefer tank steering as this gives me absolute control in all circumstances.
    For fast navy craft I prefer using a mixer on my Tx and I also use on my large passenger liners as the electronics manage the control far better than my ageing brain cells.
    As an ex flyer I am not phased by using multiple Tx controls but accept that it is not for everyone.
    Finally before anyone asks you can not connect two Brushless ESC's to one channel.
    Hope this helps
    Dave976
    Cashrc
    Commodore
    Flag
    Online: 23 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    If you run 2 escs, either on separate channels mixed or on a y-harness, remember to pull the hot lead out of the connector for one esc. Most speed controls these days have a BEC, battery eliminator circuitry. You donโ€™t need a separate battery for receiver power, and the esc supplies the receiver thru the red lead. If you have 2 supplying power to the receiver, you WILL smoke something. My first scale boat was a Krick Felix. I used a Hobbywing esc for the main drive, and an old 10 amp mini esc for the lights. I disabled the power wire on the mini, worked as advertised.
    DWBrinkman
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    stotty,
    I will most likely be using a Spektrum DX5C. The specs say that it has steering mix. I'll have to look into it to see if I need a specific receiver for that to work.
    Thanks
    Dave
    So far my collection resembles "The Island of Misfit Toys". I've picked up several boats that are old builds and have been neglected. I'm giving them the TLC they need, hoping to bring them back to their former glory. Once I get enough practice/ experience I intend to take on a full build.
    stotty1111
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Is your tx recent with the facility to mix channels etc? if so you can program the mixing function in the tx, no need for an exterior mixer!
    Fred
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 18 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi
    Myself I prefer to use two ESC, that way I can have tank steering, so if one motor goes down I have the other to get back in on, if you do not like T/S then go for two ESC and a mixer, the mixer that I have in one of my boats is from scale warship (https://scalewarship.com) look under products for Forge at the end of the page is the mixer
    Rudder mixer Mk2 cost ยฃ30.00

Hope that this is of some help

Fred
    https://scalewarship.com)
    ๐Ÿ”—
    That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.
    DWBrinkman
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi,
    I just acquired an old build Dumas Shelley Foss. It likely hasn't seen water in decades. It had an Old School Dumas mechanical Rheostat style Speed Control. I will be updating the electronics to a DMSR receiver and ESC(s) for motor speed controls.

Looking at the Hobbywing website, I realize I could run 2 ESC's (one for each motor) or 1 ESC to control both motors.
    I need the advice of some of you sage RCers. What are the pro's and con's of each setup. What would you run, and why?

The motors are 6V Dumas/Pittman brushed motors.

Thanks!
    Dave B
    So far my collection resembles "The Island of Misfit Toys". I've picked up several boats that are old builds and have been neglected. I'm giving them the TLC they need, hoping to bring them back to their former glory. Once I get enough practice/ experience I intend to take on a full build.

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info