• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Fitting deck to FG hull
    5 Posts ยท 5 Followers ยท 1 Photo ยท 14 Likes
    Began 7 months ago by
    Leading Seaman
    United Kingdom
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 7 months ago by
    Leading Seaman
    United Kingdom
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    LesW
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Fitting deck to FG hull
    41 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Thank to all for the advice and techniques, I will put it all into practice this week and see how it all moves forward. Appreciate the heads up on cleaning / abrading the FG, I did not think about the release agent aspect. Cheers
    Login To
    Remove Ads

TerryH
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    53 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 4 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Good advice given .... I personally use a length of baking paper of the roll ,bit of tape to hold each end and then run finger around top edge of hull giving shape then make a template using cardboard
    tim morland
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    55 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 4 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Les,
    Just to add my bit to flaxbybuck's good advice. I build a wooden frame all the way round the top of the hull just below deck level rather than blocks. to get round sharp curves put lots of little nicks in the wood and crack it slightly. don't try and bend wood round a curve as this could distort the hull. I then put in cross members to support the deck. These cross members can have a slight curve on the top edge to give a camber to the deck. Where you are gluing wood to fibre glass it's worth roughing up the surface slightly to give a better grip. Also use epoxy glue as cyano glue has the potential to come apart when damp. flaxbybuck is oh so correct when he talks about water ingress though sometimes it is condensation from taking a boat from a warm house and putting it in cold water so make sure you can dry internals out.
    Best wishes Tim
    flaxbybuck
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    60 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Good morning Les, and welcome to the world of model boating !
    There are two basic ways of attaching deck as shown in my sketches 1 and 2.
    If you are using ply for your deck I would recommend method 1 because the edges of the ply can be fully sealed to prevent moisture getting in. First make a card pattern for your deck. Keep adjusting it by cutting bits off or adding bits until your pattern is as perfect as you can achieve. Only then should you transfer this to your ply and cut it out. Before putting it into place I suggest gluing blocks to the hull, all the way around, onto which the deck will sit. You should wash the complete hull with detergent to remove any traces of releasing agent, then rinse and dry it. The blocks can be glued on with epoxy. Give them a day to set before gluing the ply deck into place, again using epoxy.
    You can use the same method to make patterns for your bulkheads before cutting them out and gluing into place.
    When using wood in a boat remember that water WILL get everywhere so make sure you paint or seal absolutely everything that is in the boat. And I mean all the undersides or internal parts that you will not have access to once the boat is complete. With the deck you might consider marking on the underside where the blocks will be, mask off those areas and paint or varnish the rest before gluing it into place.
    Good luck with your build. If you need any further guidance just ask. Yiou will get plenty of help on this site. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    LesW
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    65 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    I am new to RC boats and will be building an own design Boat (Sport Fishing / Cabin type 81cm length x 27cm width) this winter using a FG hull. I am looking for advice / guidance / pics? on how to join the sheet Ply deck to the hull? How is a good looking 'edge' join achieved between the hull edge and the deck? I will be making / fitting some bulkheads this week but would like some guidance before I do that job. Are there any good 'build books or vids/pics to be had?
    Cheers

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy