• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    THE MOST ORIGINAL, STRANGE AND FAILURE SHIPS EVER BUILT IN THE WORLD.
    25 Posts ยท 6 Followers ยท 48 Photos ยท 120 Likes
    Began 3 months ago by
    Rear Admiral
    Italy
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 2 months ago by
    Rear Admiral
    Italy
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    AlessandroSPQR
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    ๐Ÿ“ THE MOST ORIGINAL, STRANGE AND FAILURE SHIPS EVER BUILT IN THE WORLD.
    21 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    H.M.S. CAPTAIN (1869)

WHY SHOULD IT GET INTO THE LIST?

In this review I think that the ship H.M.S, CAPTAIN of 1869 should be added, in its own right.
    This ship had lines that were not grotesque but quite original and innovative.
    It was definitely a failure.
    She sank only a few months after entering service. If she didn't sink first it was only thanks to the skill of her crew and her captain but the ship was absolutely dangerous and a failure.

NOTES ON THE PROJECT AND CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SHIP.

This ship was designed by Cowper Coles, an advocate of the revolving gun tower (for which he had obtained the patent in 1859).
    She was a propeller-driven ship but she also had three masts and a very large sail area.
    The two revolving towers were among the trees. Above them ran a walkway from bow to stern, called the "hurricane deck", to which the rigging was attached, to prevent it from being damaged by broadsides, as would have happened if it had been connected to the lower deck.
    This gave it a very original look.
    The masts were tripod and the ship had a very low freeboard.
    Length: 98 meters.
    Width: 16.23.
    Gross tonnage: 7,767 GRT.

CONTRAST WITH THE ADMIRALITY.

Coles managed to have his project evaluated by the British Admiralty who deemed it good enough to be built but entrusted the review to the expert Edward James Reed.
    He believed that the ship as it was designed had serious navigation defects and made various modifications to make it safer.
    Reed feared above all the capsizing and had criticized the too small freeboard of only 2.4 m. Indeed, with new calculations it was discovered that the displacement was underestimated and therefore the freeboard was reduced to 2 metres.
    Coles did not accept these changes which would have completely distorted his intuitions.
    Ultimately two different ships were launched.
    In 1866 Reed's ship was christened Monarch.
    Coles' ship retained the original design and was christened Captain.
    The H.M.S. Captain was built in the private Laird shipyard in Birkenhead precisely following Coles' instructions.
    She was launched on 27 March 1869.

THE DISASTER

On 6 September 1870 the battleship Captain was together with ten other ships of Admiral Milne's squadron for firing exercises in the Bay of Biscay.
    In the late afternoon the weather worsened and the necessary precautions were taken: reduction of the canopy, closing of hatches and skylights, etc. Etc.
    The ship that risked the most of all was the Captain with its small freeboard but, above all, because the righting limit was only 21 degrees. Beyond this heel the ship would have capsized.
    Around midnight the storm coming from the west had induced the ship's commander (who had already faced two difficult voyages with this ship) Burgoyne to reduce the sail and advance with a little speed of the steam engines.
    He had managed to counteract the skidding but, during the changing of the first and second guard, a stronger gust suddenly increased the skidding.
    The order to release the sail halyards was not carried out promptly due to various problems and the ship exceeded the fateful 21 degrees.
    Unfortunately, she sank south of Cape Finisterre and only 18 of the 490 men on the crew were saved.
    Coles who was on board also died.
    The commission's ruling was expressed as follows:
    "His Majesty's ship Captain was capsized by the pressure of the sails combined with the force of the sea.
    The sails carried at the time of the accident (in relation to the strength of the wind and the state of the sea) were insufficient to endanger a ship with an appropriate degree of stability ...
    The Court finds it necessary to point out that the Captain was built in homage to public opinion expressed by Parliament and other bodies, contrary to the opinion of the heads of this Department and the whole hearing has shown that they disapproved of her construction."

The first five images are of the Captain while the last two are of the Monarch.

I hope the translation wasn't a disaster.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Captain_%281869%29
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/12/17/missing-victorian-battleship-set-rec
    Login To
    Remove Ads

AlessandroSPQR
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    21 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Good evening everyone, another addition?

H.M.S. CAPTAIN (1869)

So far, four truly original, unsuccessful, extravagant and grotesque ships have been mentioned:
    1. The vessel CONNECTOR
    2. The BESSMER ship.
    3. The battleship NOVGOROD.
    4. BAZIN'S ROLLER SHIP.

Then thanks to Cashrc we added a ship that was not a failure but certainly very original.
    Paddle wheel aircraft carriers: USS Sable and Wolverine
    Again thanks to Cashrc I learned the story of the failed K class steam submarine.

Then I added an original project of a pleasure submarine: the MIGALOO M5 submersible yacht.

In another topic there was talk of Vasa. A very beautiful (certainly not grotesque) but unsuccessful normal galleon.
    AlessandroSPQR
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    33 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Good evening to all naval modelers on this forum.

I'm about to get off topic, but Jumpugly is right.
    When I write or say (without even writing) something, the Internet (via Google or other search engines) offers you various news or articles for sale about it.
    This time it wasn't a sales proposal but news.

Why do I say I'm going off the rails of my topic?
    Because the theme was the most extravagant, bizarre and unsuccessful ships ever built in the world.
    This is certainly not a failure. In fact, if it is built and sold it will certainly be a substantial income.
    It hasn't been built yet, but it's already a finished project (or just an idea, a fantasy?).

I'm talking about the MIGALOO M5 submersible yacht.

An incredible submarine as a pleasure boat.
    We know that the submarine is the narrowest and hardest naval vessel for sailors. Not everyone could fit in.
    However, it is necessary because it has long been an essential strategic and tactical element for many navies (war fleets).
    But who would have thought of making a yacht out of it.

Well, apparently the Austrian design studio Migaloo has presented "the world's only private underwater superyacht", to offer "a not yet existing alternative to large privately owned surface vessels".
    Basically when the rich guy doesn't want to be disturbed she dives.

We were also used to hearing news of submarines used for drug trafficking and other illicit trades, but they were small boats of no nautical charm. This yacht is something else entirely, it seems like science fiction.

This submarine, called M5, will measure 165.8 meters long and 23 meters wide at its widest point, with a range of approximately 15,000 kilometers and a speed of up to 20 knots on the surface (or 12 knots submerged).

What is most incredible is that the submarine will be able to descend up to 250 meters deep and remain submerged for up to four weeks.

She will be able to hold 20 passengers and 40 crew members.

It includes a helipad, a swimming pool and spa, a gym, a cinema with art galleries, a party area with a DJ booth, as well as numerous spaces for relaxing or dining. Optional extras include a hot air balloon and an underwater shark feeding station.

Take this news with a pinch of salt (i.e. with due caution) because it comes from the Web and has not yet been confirmed.

Do you think they will really do it? Will someone be so eccentric and rich as to want to shell out a gigantic sum for such a vessel?
    Is it just a hoax?
    As soon as it's a reality, if it's a reality, ready to make a scale model of it, ahahahahah.

https://christian-gumpold.jimdofree.com/
    Doogle
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    39 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Thanks Alessandro ๐Ÿ˜Š, I'll certainly post some photos when completed, "before and after ". The existing boat shed is now too small. My stepson was in the process of moving rental accommodation recently and wondered if I could make use of some timber. Duly delivered, I was wondering what I could do with it all, a quick measure by hand โœ‹๏ธ ๐Ÿ˜€ and realised that I could potentially now bridge the gap between house and garage hence another "home project "to finally cross of the list. Maybe one day...๐Ÿ˜‚
    Isaac
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    39 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    I love the concepts on "The fourth bizarre, strange and failed ship on this list is BAZIN'S ROLLER SHIP."

Sort of reminds me of the movie "Those magnificent men in their flying machines".

And why not? Experiment all you want if you have no way to analyze it.

Today, with computer simulation, you can test any concept of anything without building a prototype.

As for those boats, the only thing missing is to attach a large blimp on top ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Isaac
    AlessandroSPQR
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    36 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Doogle, you don't know how nice it is to hear these words.
    I was getting worried thinking that while I have had to finish my RC ship model for a very long time, I already have many other projects in mind that I would like to do right away but which I can't do.
    Now the main problem is time but even if I had time available I lack space.
    I'm heartened to know that I'm not the only one chasing a thousand ideas.
    I'm glad you're doing some work that will make our beautiful hooby more comfortable, "forgot to mention that I'm also trying to construct a covered area between house and garage for boat storage and cold frame for overwintering plants". Excellent thing.
    This space is vital, when you have completed it I hope you will share the photos with us.
    I'm glad you appreciate these articles.
    Always keep your mind busy, do well, your brain will benefit.
    Doogle
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    39 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Alessandro, funnily enough I was in a model shop this afternoon with my brother in law and I was looking at wheels to see what is available and start to "mentally "get build ideas. I was very good ๐Ÿ‘ and didn't buy anything. Have to build the Calypso, finish off the "gravy boat " and the "Sea axe ๐Ÿช“ ".
    Doesn't stop me from thinking of all the possibilities โœจ๏ธ ๐Ÿ˜Œ ๐Ÿ˜‰. Hopefully the sea axe and gravy boat will be getting wet soon. Oh, by the way; forgot to mention that I'm also trying to construct a covered area between house and garage for boat storage and cold frame for overwintering plants ๐Ÿชด ๐Ÿ˜€. Meanwhile, hold down full time job, look after my wife plus the dog ๐Ÿ•. Still all that said, I love reading articles like these posted and one's imagination is only limited by one's own mind. There's so much help on this site, that I'm sure I'll be asking for advice in due course. Watch this space.
    ๐Ÿ˜
    AlessandroSPQR
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    40 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hello Doogle.
    In my opinion, nowadays this strange project with current technologies and materials would work well in many contexts. Not in all.
    What do you think about it?
    Doogle
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    46 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Good morning Alessandro, thanks for sharing these strange yet wonderful vessels. Was always tempted by the Russian circular and now Bazin's roller ship. ๐Ÿ™„
    Must concentrate more and not get so easily distracted from a current projects. On the other hand.....๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ
    AlessandroSPQR
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    49 Views ยท 7 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    The fourth bizarre, strange and failed ship on this list is BAZIN'S ROLLER SHIP.

Even though I put it last, this is, in my opinion, the most extravagant of all.
    Just look at the photo to understand it.
    A steamship designed by Ernesto Bazin that moved on six enormous wheels.
    Not paddle wheels, but floating wheels, incredible.
    Yet this ship managed to cross the English Channel.
    This 1896 ship was 36.5 meters long, 13.7 meters wide and was powered by a 550 hp steam engine, she could reach 7 knots.

I have not found any news of particular flaws or inconveniences but this ship did not arouse any interest in builders and owners. It's easy to understand why. Even if she worked well, which captain would be thrilled to command her? In short, it actually seemed a little too ridiculous perhaps.
    Later I found other news and much more data on the internet, very interesting, about this ship.
    I attach the link at the end but I warn you that I have not checked their reliability and I have not done any checking with the sources as I usually do.

https://it.topwar.ru/121363-eksperimentalnoe-skorostnoe-sudno-ernest-bazin-franc
    Show 15 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy