Waterproofing new cut hatch

Started by IanTurk
7 replies 21 likes 0 followers Last activity: 11 hours ago
#8 14
I would use some O-ring material in a shallow trough. Cut to fit, and join the ends with a tiny drop of CA.

I like the little rare earth magnets for fastening things down. I do find that I have to key and epoxy them so that they stay put over time. If in doubt, a little vaseline on the O-ring would not go amiss.

Another choice that may be even better, as mentioned by Dodgy Geezer, is to use silicone to make a gasket in place.
#7 20
@roycv Thanks - I have been considering evergreen channel to make a trough, as you have described. The tube at the bottom is a great improvement.
Liked by jumpugly
#6 31
@roycv Very long ago I made a sub out of wood - dynamic diver with a lot of lead weight in it. The hatch was just a wooden section which slotted into a rebate, and around the inside of the rebate I put a 1/8" seam of silicone rubber. Held down by a couple of bolts, that hatch never leaked for the whole life of the sub...
Liked by jumpugly and IanTurk
#5 33
Many years ago I had to make a hatch on a deck of a yacht which would often have the deck exposed to the water and flooding over the hatch. I cut the deck and made a hatch with a coaming which slid into a ply-lined reverse coaming going downwards. This had a U shape at the lower edge like a trough which the new hatch dropped into. In the trough I placed very thin tubing, it was the kind that you could get then for bicycle wheel valves. This was given a thin coat of vaseline (petroleum jelly) and the hatch was clamped down onto it using scaled down deck sail winches.
It never let a drop of water in although frequently under water when on a tack as the yacht had a very low free-board.
A bit OTT but it did the job.
Roy
Liked by jumpugly and IanTurk and
#4 38
@IanTurk Try Blutac. Roll a thin tube of Blutac and apply it around the periphery of the hatch which should made larger than the hole cut in the deck. This will "stick" the hatch to the deck and make it watertight. The hatch can be "levered" off as required. The blutac is then rerolled again into a tube and restuck to the periphery of the hatch and pushed down on to the deck again. Its easy inexpensive and lasts for a very longtime
Liked by hermank and IanTurk and
#2 39
@IanTurk
Hey there Ian!
I used small 6mm rare earth magnets on added cross members spanning the hole in the hull, and some rubber tubing (not vinyl) on the underside of the hatch.
Or the reverse, so the tubing rides slightly underneath and along the cut lines in the deck where the hatch was. It's a bit ticklish, but totally doable.
😉👍
Liked by AlessandroSPQR and hermank and
#1 42

Waterproofing new cut hatch

Good morning modellers - Im working on a Italleri 1/35 Schnellboote, and I'm intending to cut a new "hatch" into the rear deck for additional access to electrics etc. Im interested in comments about best way to make this watertight. Im thinking magnets to hold hatch in place, with a flange for it to sit on plus thin rubber seal. Will this be enough. Thanks
Liked by hermank and chugalone100 and

Sign in to add to this thread.

Delete this post?

It will be removed from the site.

Discard this draft?

Your draft will be deleted and cannot be recovered.

You have an unfinished draft

What would you like to do with it?