• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Fairmile D 1/24 Scale Build
    by andyhynes ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Leading Seaman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    24 Posts 23 Replies 14 Photos 37 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Sakibian
    Master Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Fairmile D 1/24 Scale Build
    Flag
    Online: 5 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Reilly
    Many thanks! Learning everyday.
    Normally i used to have smaller models. I do love small ones actuall, and i dont have a car so i build mobile ones.
    My plan is to build a 1:35 s boot. Doesnt have to be that accurate, im a noob so clsoe will be good enough. Haha.
    Cheeres!
    andyhynes
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I have the hull. I have the fittings from battlecraft and excellent they are too. I also have 4 brass props plus the A frames. All i need is the time a space to start this build. First i need a larger shed. Too much work and no play! makes Jack a dull boy๐Ÿ˜Š
    Smiffy
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 4 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Nothing really to add to the above conversations, but here are three pictures of a superbly detailed MTB variant dog boat that was exhibited at last weekend's London Model Engineering Exhibition. Unfortunately I don't have the details of which club stand it was on or who the builder was - perhaps someone knows as he deserves some recognition. I still haven't made a start on my D as Miranda is still a work in progress (very slow progress!) and my model engineering activities are taking most of my time.
    Smiffy
    RHBaker
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 11 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    If you decided to go the gf hull route suggest look at the MTBHulls site. The have s welll deserved reputation for accuracy and quality
    reilly4
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 15 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Sakibian,
    My friend Graham built his E-boat with a fibreglass hull but scratch-built everything else. He does magnificent detail work.

For you to build this hull you first need to get the plans to the scale you want to build. 1/24 is good for these models. The cross sections are essential. You need to determine how many bulkhead frames you will require. You won't require as many as shown on their plan and photos - maybe less than half - as many as will enable you to support the stringers to give you a shape of the hull on to which you can fix the planking or skin.

The frames you choose need to be at or very close to cross sections, so you can use them to mark and cut your frames. I use 5mm plywood. There is a photo of my Fairmile D frame earlier in this series of posts.

One of my earliest posts on this website was a Youtube video with the E-boat and my Fairmile D in action with sound effects.
    DodgyGeezer
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    "........Regards, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    BTW: still waiting for the pics / videos of your 'Hooben' (?) and the Perkasa...."

That reminds me - how are you coming along with the Taycol Board tests? And the modified circuit? I remain interested to see what you have done. Have I missed the post?

".........Do those boards follow the circuit diagrams on the Taycol web site? I seem to remember that you said you had 'refined them slightly'?
    Hi Dodgy,
    The board for Colin's Supermarine yes. After I modified my original version when I discovered excessive heating effects during initial trials.
    The 'little ones' I made for my Taycol Target no, not quite!
    Will publish details, with wiring diagrams and test results, in the relevant blogs shortly.
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž..........."
    Sakibian
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hey o Reilly!
    Yep saw the plans!
    Can you help me with something? Should I print the plans then cut the cross section by myself? Or any other ideas?
    How did your friend built that one? Did he buy the kit or Scratch built?
    Regards and thanks!
    reilly4
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 15 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Sakibian,
    The PT boat site now sells stuff too, but was originally a site where the author John Drain described how he was building his PT boat and then the E-boat. There are good plans and examples of how he has constructed these boats.

My Fairmile D was made from plywood frames, pine stringers, planked and skinned with balsa and then fibreglassed. it was a very interesting and difficult shape, but very satisfying once completed. it sails beautifully in the most difficult conditions.

I have also included a few more pics of my friend's E-boat with the newer camouflage for further inspiration.
    Sakibian
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hello Reilly,
    Sorry for my late reply. The link you gave me, https://model-boats.com/sys_files/ajax/link_out?url=http%3A%...
    I think they sells kits.
    I'm afraid I would like to 0- 100% myself ๐Ÿ˜‰. But still, thanks a lot. I can watch and learn to build one. I just fear schnellboote bcz the hull looks terrifying. The torpedo hols, aft deck etc.
    If it was flat would be much easier ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ญ
    https://model-boats.com/sys_files/ajax/link_out?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pt-boat.com%2F
    ๐Ÿ”—
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 49 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks Haig๐Ÿ‘
    I just hope Andy is still around.
    Maybe a variant of my four screw setup for my HMS Belfast could help him. I'm going to upgrade it with differential ESC control for the two outer motors to assist the steering, the 'beast' (125cm), only has one rudder.
    I also use SLAs (and brushed motors) in such large displacement hulls, but for planing hulls these days the 'norm' must surely be brushless and LiPo (or at least HiPower NiMh๐Ÿ˜‰).
    G'night from frozen Munich ๐Ÿ˜ก
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Show 14 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info