• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Inspiration for beautiful boat builders ;-)
    by RNinMunich πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ ( Fleet Admiral)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    19 Posts 18 Replies 7 Photos 14 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Westquay
    Commander
    πŸ“ Inspiration for beautiful boat builders ;-)
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Yep, the miniaturist, Lloyd McCaffery, uses hide glue and bamboo sticks on his models....for which he gets up to 5 figure sums from collectors!

Martin
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 48 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Gotcha! I'm at the other end of town in Ramersdorf near the Ostpark, where my sailing lake is, complete with Biergarten and terrace restaurant 😊
    UnterfΓΆhring I know, that's where my home bowling alley is, Dream Bowl Palace! Built about 10 years ago, biggest in Europe now with 52 lanes.

Worked here for Rohde & Schwarz for 32 years on Naval Communication Systems.

Hmm, will have to have another look at the printer, and make some space to be able to use it! 😲 Cheers, Doug
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Delboy
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I was working on a contract for Digital Equipment Corp at Unterfoering and was staying at the other end of town at Westkreuz (Gaestehaus im Forum).

I've had the Ultimaker for 2 or 3 years now. it's great for making the little things. Ship's wheel - 6 hours by hand, 1 hour on the printer. Design it once, print as many as you need. Bits and bollards, fairleads, funnels, ventilators - not cheap from the shop (if they have any) pennies on the printer.

Best investment ever.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    '87/'88? I was here then as well, since Oct. '85.
    Where were you working?
    I don't ppo poo 3D printing. I have to admit that I've had a 3D printer for 2 years now and haven't even calibrated it yet πŸ€”
    Haven't had a real need that drove me to it yet, will come eventually I hope.
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Delboy
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Doug,
    A phenomenal place, the Deutche Museum. I visited it when I was working in Munich back in '87/'88.

I agree with the views on scratch building. it's the difference between Model Making and model assembly.

Although, I have to say that, although my 3D printing has been poo-pooed in this forum as non-traditional - is anybody out there still using horse-hoof glue and bamboo strip - most of the stuff I print is self designed.

All the hulls I have built have been hand built. I do have one kit with a moulded hull - a Graupner Optimist- it's been in the garage attic unfinished since 1993. I must get round to it one day. But before that, there's this Ferret plan in the MB mag. That looks interesting.....
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Mike,
    If you find one in the basement can I come and have ride please???? 😊
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nice, Way to go Hammer πŸ‘
    hammer
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 7 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The wall of my work shop. 4 scratch builds & Totnes Castle on work bench. I have 4 others upstairs. 1 sold to a pub & 2 in museums. Oh yes & 1 kit, can I go on the list of scratch builders please.
    Don't be shy just reply
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Yes Martin I agree we are a dying breed in this Virtual Reality Throw Away Rush rush world.
    But also please don't forget that you are a professional model builder with decades of experience.

BTW: my 1/72 HMS Hotspur was absolutely scratch built.
    My first ever ship model, I was about 13/14 when I started it, with extremely basic hand tools. Kits out of the question and there weren't nuffink like her around anyway.
    Built to plans drawn up by me on foolscap paper from measurements taken from an Airfix 1/600 kit with a plastic micrometer and scaled up with a slide rule!! Remember them!? Had just started technical drawing at school, very handy.
    My Type IA submarine, built 30 odd years ago, was a Krick 'kit'! Ha Ha! 4 20mm planks of wood for the hull, a big lump of steel bar for the keel, crude half shell vac-formed tower, and a bag of assorted brass rod and tubing for various fittings. Some brass sheet for the dive planes.
    'Thanks for the cash the rest is up to you' sort of deal!
    A visit to the Deutsches Museum showed up many 'simplifications' in the Krick plan so all the corrections were 'scratch' as well. Notably-
    Correct hull shape, correct rudder assemblies with skegs, railings, net cutters, flooding slots, wintergarden etc etc.

Looks like Gina 2 is going to be a scratch rebuild from the gunn'l up as well.

Actually I just thought my post might create a little wonderment and some Oohs and Aaahs, not loose off such a debate. I'll know better next time.
    Now back to Pete's lighting.
    Ciao, Doug
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Mike, to me scratch building is just that. You start with bugger all and end up with a model boat. if you start with a kit, you're kit building and if you have to modify it to correct it you're kit-bashing. All perfectly valid, especially if you are using scratchbuilding skills to make a good job of a kit, as I had to do when a client asked me to make up an Amati Riva kit. Biggest pile of crap I ever opened the lid on. Having already built two Rivas from a pile of plywood, a plank of pear and a set of stolen Riva works drawings I was able to kit-bash the garbage into something I could deliver, but never again!
    I wouldn't know how to share plans, but have em all here if you can inform me how. I have Gary Griswold plans...useful, but crap. You will be correcting the build as you go along, but it's no big deal, just time consuming and a bloody nuisance! I have also a pile (roll) of drawings from The Rudder magazine, an American publication from the 20s. These are of real craft, not models, but that's irrelevant, really, when sections are given.
    Cheers,
    Martin
    Show 9 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info