• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Sea Queen Frames
    by donrecardo πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Able Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    37 Posts 36 Replies 7 Photos 14 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    ChrisF
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Sea Queen Frames
    Flag
    Online: 9 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    "I wish I had never said anything or about Biro pretend deck planking Cheers Ian T"

You weren't to know he was selling such crap! Are you sure it's the same guy you got yours from? I can't believe he was supplying first class drawings years ago and is now supplying rubbish. Why bother drawing (well trying to) around the frames etc. when you already have good drawings?
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Sea Queen Frames
    Flag
    Online: 1 second ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Whatever floats your boat Don πŸ˜‰
    Merry Christmas, Doug 😎
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    donrecardo
    Able Seaman
    πŸ“ Sea Queen Frames
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Town3810 wrote
    I wish I had never said anything or about Biro pretend deck planking Cheers Ian T

I'm lucky in as much as I have a laser cutter so by turning the power down I can burn the lines into the deck then turn it up to cut the deck outline
    donrecardo
    Able Seaman
    πŸ“ Sea Queen Frames
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    RNinMunich wrote
    Hi Chris,
    If 'HE' "is blatantly copying the original kit drawings with Aerokits on them rather than redrawing them" why are they such 'freehand' rubbish?
    Surely the 'original kit drawings' were not!

No, you misunderstand , the original drawings are great, but aerokits never included frames with their plans as the frames were pre cut in the kit

"HE" blatantly copies the Aerokit plan then hand draws the frames which are Crap. The side and plan view are excellent copies , but his selling point is he is the only person who includes the frames with his plans which he says are drawn to a high standard. in fact he says just put the frame drawings on the wood and cut out . That would be fine if you want a twisted boat . You cant make a straight boat when the two sides of a frame are not mirror images of each other

Don
    TOWN3810
    Leading Seaman
    πŸ“ Sea Queen Frames
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I wish I had never said anything or about Biro pretend deck planking Cheers Ian T
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Sea Queen Frames
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Chris,
    If 'HE' "is blatantly copying the original kit drawings with Aerokits on them rather than redrawing them" why are they such 'freehand' rubbish?
    Surely the 'original kit drawings' were not!
    Interesting (and probably never endingπŸ€”) debate.
    Cheers all and Garry Chrimbo, Doug 😎
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    ChrisF
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Sea Queen Frames
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Yes, copyright is a real hornet's nest.

I remember reading an article in Building magazine many years ago on the subject of copyright where one large housebuilder tried to take another to court because it had copied one of its designs. But because the defendant had slightly altered the design it got away with it.

So for example if I put my Swordsman drawings on Ebay, which were based on the kit drawings, I shouldn't have any problem as I have made a number of alterations. I won't be of course as I've only drawn enough for me to build my model, they are not full working drawings and I'm not interested in doing that.

Where that guy on Ebay is at fault is that he is blatantly copying the original kit drawings with Aerokits on them rather than redrawing them - not that he has the wherewithal!
    DodgyGeezer
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Sea Queen Frames
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    " I'm in no way condoning what that guy on Ebay is doing but the problem with the copyright owner is that they are not making drawings available for all of the boats that they produced hence why the likes of that guy on Ebay are able to keep on selling albeit illegally."

I'm not suggesting that you are condoning what they are doing - I'm just saying that complaining to Ebay won't help at all - giving the seller bad feedback will help a little.

There is a problem with old boat plans and copyright. The US and the EU together - under corporate lobbying - brought in a rule that copyright exists for a very long time, which was totally against the aim of the original copyright legislation.

This creates the problem of 'copyright orphans'. Old model boat plans suffer a lot from this - they were often created by a small company which eventually closed down without passing copyright ownership on. Under EU legislation the copyright still exists, but is probably owned by relatives of the original holder - who won't know anything about it.

Worse - ownership will be spread around the relatives - at a worst case there may be 50 or more of them. The EU says that you should make best efforts to trace them and obtain permission. Good luck with that! And if you were to trace them all, almost certainly one would consider that a nice little earner had fallen into their lap, engage a lawyer and ask for a stiff fee....

I run a web site aimed at gathering these old plans, addressing copyright issues and publishing them for free, so as to save them from oblivion. in most cases the copyright resides with another big hobby company who will have bought up the rights to many small ones, and in most cases they are happy to give me permission to publish their old plans. Occasionally a company employs an archivist who will provide plans for a fee - and occasionally the old kits are still available. in that case I don't publish. I have only had one company say that they would not provide prints of old plans, but that I could not publish either. That was MidWest.

I seem to do better with the USA hobbyists than I do in the UK. I have quite a large collection of Sterling plans, for instance, but very few from the old UK companies like Feltra. if anyone has any old plans that they would be happy getting onto the web, go to http://oldboats.tk and have a look around....
    http://oldboats.tk
    πŸ”—
    ChrisF
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Sea Queen Frames
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Don - that's basically what I did but went a stage further by tracing the top and side views on the PC and then producing the frames from them which is very accurate.

DodgyGeezer - I'm in no way condoning what that guy on Ebay is doing but the problem with the copyright owner is that they are not making drawings available for all of the boats that they produced hence why the likes of that guy on Ebay are able to keep on selling albeit illegally.
    DodgyGeezer
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Sea Queen Frames
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The seller doesn't care about that. And Ebay doesn't care about that. I have had this battle.

Ebay deals in volume sales with some simple rules. So long as the seller is willing to refund unhappy customers they can continue trading. Ebay are not competent to determine what counts as 'not well drawn' for a set of model plans, and won't get into that argument.

Ebay will go through a standard procedure if copyright breach is alleged. From their site:

"EeBay has created the VeRO program to protect intellectual property owners from trademark, patent or copyright infringement. Property right owners register with the VeRO program by sending eBay legal documentation and proof that they own the specified intellectual property.

Having registered with eBay’s VeRO program, these property right owners monitor listings on eBay, or they use third-party web monitoring agents that help warn them of infringement threats. When their rights are violated, the owner or a representative can file a complaint by filling out the NOCI (Notice of Claimed infringement) form, complete with proof of the violation, and sending it to eBay by email or fax.

eBay then investigates the issue and notifies the seller via email that a VeRO participant requested that their listing be removed. The listing will remain suspended unless and until a settlement is reached between the seller and the property rights owner."

Unless the Aerokits copyright holder takes VeRO action there is nothing you can do to stop copyright breach. This makes me quite unhappy, because I would like to put the full set of Aerokits plans up on my Old Boat Plans website, but I will only do it with copyright holder approval.

If you want to do anything about it you would be best advised to contact Lesro and encourage them to do something about it - http://lesromodels.co.uk/contact/
    http://lesromodels.co.uk/contact/
    πŸ”—
    Show 27 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info