• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Martin Westquay's Piper Cub ;-)
    by RNinMunich πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ ( Fleet Admiral)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    44 Posts 43 Replies 13 Photos 17 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Westquay
    Commander
    πŸ“ Martin Westquay's Piper Cub ;-)
    Flag
    Online: 1 month ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Found a muffler locally and have fitted it. Put a carb full of fuel down its little gob , flicked it and Gor Blimey it ran for 5 seconds at least. Hasn't turned in donkey's years! So IC it is. Just started covering it in Solartex. An ancient roll I've had for years too. Bought originally to cover the cockpit area on my model of Miss Britain III, so almost none missing from the roll. Had trouble with wrinkles, but then found I was using the iron too cool. Turned it up and last night it all went well.

Martin
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I confess I am in 2 minds over this. Having an OS 10 is ideal, but then it doesn't have a muffler, so I'll have to make one, a bit of a faff. But then, I have fuel, somewhere a glow stik and I think my son even has my old starter for one of his boats. I love the smell and so does my wife so that's no problem. The lack of mess? Well it's only a wipe down with a rag when you're done.
    Starting frustration and dead sticks...yes, that's certainly a consideration. Our club is still more IC than electric, so loads of help if needed with recalcitrant engines. I recently re-bearinged an HB 25 and they got that running well on a test stand. Really, it's only the muffler hassle that may yet put me off the OS installation. that and the fact that I've now glued up the firewall where the hole goes for the electric! Although that, of course, is for a big old 550, not a comparatively small brushless.
    Of course, then there's the expense. I don't have a big brushless (well I do, but that's in an outboard motor speedboat), I'd need a new ESC and I don't have a suitable battery. Biggest I have is a 2200 3S. Ah, just re-read and seen that's the battery you mention for the Cub.

Martin
    jbkiwi
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 22 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Martin, thought you might have gone electric with the Cub. I recently made a repro of my 1975 48" Graupner PA18 Super Cub, and used a 28mm 1200kv brushless motor with a 3s 2200Mah LiPo. It has more power than you need by a country mile and is very quiet. Takes off with around 1/4 throttle. This TGY motor is one of the most powerful I have found for its' size, and I had one of the HK Cosmic Wind crappy 900mm glass models up to 91 mph with 2 x 2s 1800Mah 20c batteries strapped together (these motors take a 3s-4s)- 40c batts would have had it over the ton.
    Problem was, being yellow (the worst colour I've found for visibility on a sunny day) and being so small and fast, I actually lost it for a few secs while going vertical at high speed (sort of blended into the sky)! You don't need a huge electric to pull a model, roughly need one which will handle the same sized prop as the model would normally use with an IC motor, and pull the same max revs. The beauty of electrics is the lack of mess, damaged fingers, starting frustration, expensive glow plugs and noise, plus your plane will last longer not having oil all over it constantly (and because it has no smell your missus might let you bring it in the house!)πŸ˜‚. Depending on your finished weight, a motor of this nature might be all you need ( or a lower power 35 Diam motor). Just a thought.
    John B
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    This is a 58.8" span kite, so I think the OS10 will be OK, but not over the top. I'll give it to someone else to fly to start with. The water fittings sound interesting, but I never ever got an engine to work in a boat. I have water fittings for my ED Racer, but would never bother trying to fit them or use them. They're just interesting history.

Steering wheels on soap boxes. Nah, too much weight. A pivoted beam steered by feet was all we needed.

Martin
    redpmg
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Martin - the OS10 will definitely be Super Cub rated - bags of power there - just don't overprop.
    Interestingly enough I have a water cooled head for an OS - not sure if its for a 10 or 20 - looks like a 10. Also has what looks like a back plate with two water intake fittings and all the bolts etc. Both components obviously original parts . Never found either a motor or taker for it . Price was R9.52 in 1982 (now roughly 50p !!!)
    Wot no steering wheel - we had those in solid wood - piece of pipe, cable ,two pulleys and a pair of eyebolts. Shows you us colonials were much more civilised - although the local soap box derby was run by the members of SOE (Sons of England society)
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Doug, I've ordered some yellow as the Cub I flew was that admittedly predictable colour.

red, I had an uneventful take-off, but yes the landing was a bit wobbly, but that was probably due to my finding "push right, go right" completely counter-intuitive. I grew up, as did every lad, with soap boxes where you push right you go left.

I have an OS 10 for it. The company say they flew the prototype happily with one. I have beefed up the engine mounting former a bit to take the vibration.

Martin
    redpmg
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Martin - just remember to use the right size motor for scale flight . Having learned to fly in the full size one know they have a few odd characteristics - in a 30knot headwind for instance you had to use the throttle to land - don't throttle back all the way until some one ties the plane down ......... they don't like flying backwards unlike the Pitts. Being a tail dragger the rudder is ineffective until it comes up into the slipstream - hence a lot of wobbly takeoffs - having to fly from the back seat did not help forward vision either.
    Of course you can always turn it into a "Super" Cub (the version with the much larger motor) which the fellows from National Parks learned to fly in and were often seen "Prop Hanging" on takeoff. The donor of the Cub must have been on tenterhooks watching..............
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Looking good MartinπŸ‘
    What colours will you cover it?
    Cheers, Doug
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Here's the frame:-
    Spent today adding fairings to the fuselage and finishing the servos in the wings for the new ailerons.

M
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Glad to hear that Martin😊
    Also glad I didn't have to go any deeper into your TX πŸ˜‰

Have fun with the Cub.
    I'm sure that with your "Old Pro" skills you'll do an even better job of the covering.
    Just don't have the iron too hot.
    Do some tests on some off cuts first.
    I did, and was glad of it !!
    Cheers, Doug
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Show 34 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info