• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Sea commander hold ups.
    by Colin H ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Captain)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    11 Posts 10 Replies 9 Photos 21 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Wingcoax
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Sea commander hold ups.
    Flag
    Online: 14 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Failing a boat winch, if you have power available look out for one of those electric garage hoists they sometimes sell at ALDI.
    jbkiwi
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Colin, hope the health gets sorted soon. Have the same problem to a smaller degree with arthritis as do most of us oldies who have actually worked hard for a living (don't think most of todays' young will have our problems - need 2 people now to lift 20kg etc,) breeding a bunch of wimps now-days. Just bought some timber today and the young guy who cut it was struggling to carry it (don't know why, I managed to carry it all under 1 arm and I'm 66 with bits falling off) and he didn't even offer to carry it! I've seen girls do better!

One of the owners of a large cabinet making company I worked for had a huge train set and had the guys in our site services dept fit an electric boat winch in his garage roof, with a wire to each corner of the table. The winch pulled the whole thing up into the ceiling. Not sure how much height you have, (probably need about 30"?) but you could make a 'strongback' for the table with a central lift point and offset the winch with a central roof pulley. Having it use 12v means no electrical problems and you would just need to use a car battery and the remote to raise and lower it. These Chinese boat winches are pretty cheap these days and seem to work ok pulling 1 ton + boats onto trailers with no problems.
    JB
    Wingcoax
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 14 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Colin, re raising the board, have a look at the old system for the clothes airer/drier that used to go up to the ceiling in the kitchen.
    Rookysailor
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 39 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Good to see you back on the forum Colin, ageing is cruel when you add in the pain as well, I also have arthritis in multiple places, I use neodym magnets ( Not the little ones)to ease the pain see link:
    https://www.vergarimagnettherapy.co.uk/
    Have a try Colin, I think you might be impressed, my wife could not move with arthritis problems after a car accident, but with the help of these magnets, she enjoys a relatively pain free life.
    Hope you and your wife Caroline start to feel a little better when the warm weather arrives.
    Glad your enjoying your CriCut, I used to have a craft shop and I ordered one when they first came out, as you say, very versatile, but the spares can be a little pricey.๐Ÿ˜

Cheers, Pete
    https://www.vergarimagnettherapy.co.uk/
    ๐Ÿ”—
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 18 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I've just noticed Colin,
    You've got a pale blue Trabbi (Trabant, means Satellite) next to the track in pic three!
    Where the heck did you find that!?
    Is it also made of pressed cardboard like the originals? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ
    Looks like a '601 Limousine'. See pic.
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks for the Update Colin ๐Ÿ‘
    Veeery interestink! (Don't forget to tell Lucy!๐Ÿ˜Š)
    I've also been looking at the Cricut machines.
    Think it was Red in SA who put me on to them.
    Still looking and pondering!!
    Sleep well ๐Ÿ’ค๐Ÿ’ค๐Ÿ’ค
    G'night All,
    Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Colin H
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 24 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks Fleet,
    If I can get the breathing back to normal (no coughing)
    I will start sorting out.
    The railway project is supposed to be for the Grandson, but I must admit I enjoy it as much as him. And my son hasn't got any spare space in their terraced house so I'm stuck with it here. ๐Ÿ˜.
    He gets to choose which trains to run for the first stint, usually about 2 hours, then I choose.
    As we have 37 locos and 107 various forms of rolling stock to play with and controllers to run 3 at a time for now.
    Have an original hornby Zero 1 digital system, but haven't had chance to fit the decoders in the locos yet.
    Next stage is to somehow fit a pulley system so that it can be raised up to the rafters so that I can get my car in and out of the garage.
    Back to the boat situation, I have another to get from a relative, it belonged to an uncle, and he passed away in November and he had left it to me. Don't know what it is, only that it's 4 foot long and made of wood, no pictures.
    I've still not been able to get to visit my mum yet so her garage is still sat on my trailer waiting for me to deliver it.
    This getting old and frequently more useless is depressing, especially when the old grey cells are in good working order.
    Caroline bought me a machine called a Cricut Maker to help me with the modelling.
    I haven't got the hang of the software yet but I'll get there.
    It can draw or cut out all sorts of material, so far I have tried it with card, plasticard, sticky backed vinyl and thin ply, apparently it will cut through up to 3mm thick.
    I also have a a good read through the postings on here and comment if I feel I can be of any help.
    BTW the little veg garden and kitchen, is part of the 12 roomed Georgian Mansion that Caroline has in the spare room.
    Well guys and gals of all ages I think that's all for now so I'll say goodnight and good health.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Nerys
    Commodore
    Flag
    Online: 20 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Colin, So sorry to hear that you have not been too well, perhaps I should say 'join the club'. Wondered why I hadn't seen any posts by you, though I've been a bit quiet myself. I'm afraid it's this getting older and frailer thing that hits us all eventually. I'm still stuck in hospital three times a week for about six hours a time - and I hate it.

All the best, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    mturpin013
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 58 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Colin hope your on the mend, I spent some time with wrist braces some years ago but fortunately my arthritis is under control now, but it does stop you doing anything.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    So sorry to hear that Colin๐Ÿค”
    Wondered why we hadn't seen any updates on the school project lately!

Must admit I've not done much constructive for several months either.
    Lung and leg problems have been sapping my stamina.
    Self inflicted injury! And my refurbs and refits are also 'stacking' upโ˜น๏ธ

Nevertheless, you've probably noticed that the grey cells are still active
    and I'm still enjoying doing research for other members projects๐Ÿ˜Š My 'ubiquitous oar' ๐Ÿ˜‰

Glad to hear the motor (and ESC converter board) are still running.
    Were the test runs on the bench or on the watter?

Don't tell me that whole layout was grandson's pressie๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    He must have been over the moon. Great work Caroline๐Ÿ‘
    But where are the veggies?๐Ÿ˜
    Also nice to see a pic of you at last๐Ÿ˜‰
    Your grandson must be in 7th heaven when he visits you two๐Ÿ‘

Be interesting to see your 'everything must go' list.
    Please don't tempt me toooooo much, I'm already running out of space!๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    All the very best to you both, and GET WELL SOON COMMANDER!
    THAT'S AN ORDER FROM HIGH COMMAND๐Ÿ˜
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Show 1 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info