• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Mt. Washington - Dumas Kit
    by JEFFSUED πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ ( Able Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    20 Posts 19 Replies 15 Photos 9 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Newby7
    Commander
    πŸ“ Mt. Washington - Dumas Kit
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I liked the video you did a excellent job on the build.Please do put the Mt. Washington in the water even if you don't run the boat you can say she was water tested.
    Rick
    JEFFSUED
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 1 month ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks for the kind words all!!

Jeff
    Peejay
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Jeff - I would not be able to tell that your video was not of the earlier kit with the fiberglass hull and wooden superstructure with plastic overlays, had you not told us. She is exceedingly beautiful!!!

I am glad that some of my photos may have been helpful. If you ever want to add something to your display, you can find unpainted 1:48 scale passengers and crew figures in the model railroad catalogs. Painting is a little tedious, but not nearly as bad as the 1:350 figures for titanic! πŸ˜€
    So many ships . . . and so little time . . .
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 11 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nice work Jeff,
    Well worth the time spent on her.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    JEFFSUED
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi guys. I have just completed my Dumas Mt. Washington. Almost 2 years in the making. I attached a link and hopefully you can view the running model.

I have to say that I was not at all happy with the kit as mine was the vacu-form kit with the decks all being of the PVC flavor and all other build parts were plastic.

I have over two pages of notes of things wrong with the Dumas instructions and they (Dumas) quit being of any help. I'm sure I'm persona non grata at this point.

Specifically, I learned right on the first couple of build instructions that there were major errors. The first being the keel pattern (which they said to make
    from their full size plan) wasn't even close.

The hull vacu-form wasn't cooled right or something before it came out the machine as it was distorted and made it difficult to continue the build.

When they changed to all plastic, they did not update any of the plans or pictures except the hull if that was indeed fiberglass at one time. Soldering of railings on the decks which are plastic (previously wood) was not a good idea in their plans so the pattern had to be transferred to plywood with hope you got the transfer right, and then, move the built railing back to the PVC structure.

Not enough material provided in some cases, wrong material in others, wrong plans on the lifeboats and drive rod, step references wrong in some cases, set screws missing for paddle wheels, mounting screws wrong for motor, castings were very poorly made and body filler had to be used. On and on and on, but to finish it, even the flag was cut wrong with half of the top stripe missing.

While I do appreciate the amount of effort that went into the research, design and providing materials for this kit. I think some prudence could have been exercised when the kit materials were changed. Maybe even an updated PDF with corrected plans.

In the end, I think it came out great. I added lights, sound, smoke and deviated in a lot of cases from the plans particularly when melding the various decks and walking beam to the model.

Probably will never see the water but it makes a great shelf looker (my opinion).

One other note on the casting stuff. Before the Mt. Washington, I completed Dumas' large 52" Carol Moran which came out really well. The castings on this boat were made from some plastic injected stuff which almost looked like it was foam. All the fittings looked like Swiss cheese and a lot of work/body fill to get them proper.

So...... not sure I helped anything here but of great help along this journey was Nick Jacalone from Harbor Models and Peejay of this discussion when it came time for the paint scheme.

Switching gears for awhile at this time and working on and old Mantua HO Mikado steam engine kit I got off ebay. Tiny stuff!!!

Best regards,

Jeff
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-6RBCw-4QEKnZjj4MS-5Jxx_jYEwREY0/view?usp=sharing
    πŸ”—
    Newby7
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    A gentleman in the model boat club has built and run the Mt.Washington.
    One of is biggest complaint is stability in the wind .The other is while turning the paddle boxes dig in and try and tip the boat .These are his complaint not mine but they my be valid.
    Rick
    bruce1946
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 26 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The only thing I could find on RC groups was from 2006 and they were all wooden boats and I was looking to see if the the new ABS boats handle differently. and then what size lead acid battery they where using if that made a difference. I can not find much information on this boat.
    Peejay
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Bruce- I got one of the earlier kits, so it still had the Fiberglas hull. But as far as I know, the rest of the kit is the same. I have not been able to build it yet - mainly because of time and space, and now because of space, aggravated by health issues from extended back surgery last year, from which I am still recovering.

However, if you go to RC Groups.com and do a search for Mt Washington, you should have at least one Full build thread come up, by an excellent builder.

The main issue is her performance in anything but still water, as she tends to be top heavy. The more common approach seems to be a false weighted keel for operation, but I did see an article where a servo with an arm holding a weight at the end was used. It was on the centerline and parallel with the keel. But when the rudder was moved, the weight moved in the opposite direction to counterbalance the lean of the boat. Another thing was to make sure the top vents on the face of the wheel covers are actually open, so the air can get out, to keep it from being trapped.

The kit is very accurate. The plans ar nearly identical to the original ones drawn by John Braynaert (sp?), whose model is in a New England Maritime Museum.
    So many ships . . . and so little time . . .
    bruce1946
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 26 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I'm looking at building the Dumas Mt. Washington and was wondering if you could share some of the problems you had biulding this Kit. and if you had some of the plans and photos they gave you you could share to help me make my mind up. What was the quaility of materials like.
    Thank You in Advance
    Bruce
    JEFFSUED
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Peejay, yes it's curious. The Mt. Washington was originally built and owned by the Boston and Marine Railroad. I have seen pictures where the railroad name was also on the boat underneath the paddlewheel housing. It was sold by railroad in the 20's and I'm sure that's when the railroad name came off for good.

I saw that about the gray on the housing as well. As for the ventilation holes, I suspect but have no clue for sure, that these vents could be opened/closed for what ever reason.

Thanks again for the pics and now you can see my curiosity in terms of what color to make the top of the covers. At least 4 different colors in the pics you sent. I think I'm going to just leave them white like some of the earlier postcards/pictures and pics I could find of the Dumas build.

I've included two pics FYI. The B&W pic is actually from a glass negative I bought and had blown up. The people at the photo place said the negative was from the 20's. You can see the covers were painted here.

The othe pic is one I found of the model from a show in Ohio I believe. It looks like the Dumas kit from the paddle wheel construction.
    Show 10 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info