• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Mt. Washington - Dumas Kit
    by JEFFSUED πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ ( Recruit)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    11 Posts 10 Replies 15 Photos 0 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    JEFFSUED
    Recruit
    πŸ“ Mt. Washington - Dumas Kit
    Flag
    Online: 1 month ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Peejay, yes it's curious. The Mt. Washington was originally built and owned by the Boston and Marine Railroad. I have seen pictures where the railroad name was also on the boat underneath the paddlewheel housing. It was sold by railroad in the 20's and I'm sure that's when the railroad name came off for good.

I saw that about the gray on the housing as well. As for the ventilation holes, I suspect but have no clue for sure, that these vents could be opened/closed for what ever reason.

Thanks again for the pics and now you can see my curiosity in terms of what color to make the top of the covers. At least 4 different colors in the pics you sent. I think I'm going to just leave them white like some of the earlier postcards/pictures and pics I could find of the Dumas build.

I've included two pics FYI. The B&W pic is actually from a glass negative I bought and had blown up. The people at the photo place said the negative was from the 20's. You can see the covers were painted here.

The othe pic is one I found of the model from a show in Ohio I believe. It looks like the Dumas kit from the paddle wheel construction.
    Peejay
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I have noticed the difference in the tops of the paddle boxes, too. I think most of them are accurate, but have to do with the time they were taken. Even though many of the postcards are β€˜colorized,’ they must have been based on something. I do know the writing on the paddle boxes changed, as there was other writing below β€œMOUNT WASHINGTON,” but it was gone later and additional ventilation holes were in that area.

If you look closely at the model that was completed just when she burned, You can see some grey going up the forward side. What is also β€˜curious’ is that the ventilation holes appear to be blocked on the aft side. I had not seen that before.
    So many ships . . . and so little time . . .
    JEFFSUED
    Recruit
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Got it, thanks!
    JEFFSUED
    Recruit
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hey Peejay, the smoker I'm using is from Harbor Models. I'm also using the Harbor Models power distribution unit which has been great and will allow me to turn on the whole boat with one switch. The sound module also came from Harbor Models and is timed with the speed control. The smoker output is also timed with the engine speed as well.

Nick Jacolone from Harbor Models has been a tremendous source for the electronics, boat fittings and a gigantic help when I have my stupid moments putting it all together. These are moments are becomming more frequent the older I get BTW!

Here's the link:
    https://www.harbormodels.com/
    https://www.harbormodels.com/
    πŸ”—
    JEFFSUED
    Recruit
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Peejay! Very helpful. I have been acquiring some old postcards from the Mt. Washington era and unfortunately there is a lot of variation, more liberty I suppose, on the colors used on the postcards. I also have a signed copy of the "Farewell Old Mount Washington" but no color on any of the photos in the book.

One of the areas I'm stuck on are the colors that go around the top of the paddle wheel box. Some pictures have it in white, some colored. I'm beginning to think that the paddle wheel box was covered with something (canvas?) later in it's life as a way to preserve the paddle wheel box. The further curiosity in addition to the timeframe and why this was done is the color used here. Some pictures I've seen show the deck floor being grey and then flowing with the same colors over the paddle wheel box. Then I've seen others where the deck floor and the color (greenish) over the paddle wheel box being different. The Dumas model pics I've seen show the boxes without the color on top of the paddle wheel boxes.

Your pictures and info have been a termndous help and I appreciate your reply!πŸ‘
    JEFFSUED
    Recruit
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks for the info Ron. I have been collecting some old postcards on e-bay and was able to get a signed copy of the book "Farewell Old Mount Washington" which has a lot of pictures but non-colorized. I think I'm getting close to deciding what the colors would/should be. Thanks for the help!
    Peejay
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    My photos got loaded backwards. When I first looked at them, they were in reverse order. So, the historical model is first, the assembled kit model is second, and the paddle box close up is (obviously) third.
    Peejay
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    What smoker are you using?
    Peejay
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I have the earlier kit, which I purchased in the early 2000’s, before they changed the hull. I purchased drawings, done by John Braynaert, who had built a model for one of the New England Maritime Museums before Dumas started producing the kit.

Don’t know how much you have relied on the internet, but there a lot of colored postcards, many of them β€˜colorized’ black and white pictures.

However, the last picture I posted is of a model completed the night before Mt Washington burned, so it should be pretty accurate for her later years. The next picture is a close-up if a paddle box, which does not show its interior colors. The next picture is the kit model, and the colors are very accurate, with green side rails and trim. I have not seen any information about the insides of the paddle boxes, but they could be black or white.
    Ron
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The history of the MS Mount Washington

http://www.lwhs.us/index.html
    http://www.lwhs.us/index.html
    πŸ”—
    Show 1 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info