• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    46"Wooden RAF Crash Tender
    by MaggieM ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Leading Seaman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    31 Posts 30 Replies 5 Photos 51 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ 46"Wooden RAF Crash Tender
    Flag
    Online: 11 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ian,
    "I have a toilet cistern needs a new seal. Cost to me 50p But I have to call a Plumber GBP 75.00. Just as well we have two bathrooms!"
    Apart from a collection of ready made plumbing 'stuff' I have an emergency sheet of gasket neoprene plus a toob of silicone gasket goo๐Ÿ˜
    Have used for two cistern outlet valve repairs so far ๐Ÿ˜Š
    No way would I call out a plumber for something like that!
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    The Bugs are on the run ๐Ÿ˜Š โ„๏ธโ„๏ธโ„๏ธ Get out and run those Sea Trials!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Maggie,
    Any progress?
    How did you get on with your set up?
    We're all on tenterhooks here!๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    The Bugs are on the run ๐Ÿ˜Š โ„๏ธโ„๏ธโ„๏ธ Get out and run those Sea Trials!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Ianh
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I have started mine but we are on a severe lockdown in South Africa ( Covid 19) The hardware shops are closed except to registered tradesmen. I have a toilet cistern needs a new seal. Cost to me 50p But I have to call a Plumber GBP 75.00. Just as well we have two bathrooms!๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    Ianh
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Worth noting that solder melts at between 350-500 deg C!
    Use fuses between batterie(s) and ESC
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    MaggieM
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 15 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Paul , Thanks , I will sit down and digest all the information / advice both you and Doug has given me ~ plenty of ideas and solutions ~ sadly as I have mentioned previously , it is looking very doubtful our Club will meet this season so will not be able to report back with the success ~ the only alternative to running at our club pond will be the Blue Water Club as they meet 24/7 ( obviously not in our current lock down situation )
    Many thanks and any one reading this blog 'keep safe'๐Ÿšค
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    "just a small logistical issue of powering the 12v sound units / pump"
    No problem Ray๐Ÿ˜€ Just use a UBEC.
    Here's a selection to choose from, just make sure it can deliver the total current your sound machines and pump need.-
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=12V+UBEC&link_code=qs&sourceid=...
    I rather like the look of the dual Matek version; one output for the RX and one for your modules and pump๐Ÿ˜‰ Or the Hellery 8A version if you need more poke!
    Here's a wider search!
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=ubec+12v+...
    Happy hunting, and much success with the LC3536๐Ÿคž
    BTW That's the 538W motor isn't it?
    If so current draw maxed out on a 3S should be about 48A,
    on 4S 36A, and on 5S about 30A. so 12gauge should be OK.
    I wouldn't go any thinner though. Fit a 50 or 60Amp fuse if you can.
    Try it on a 3S before you shell out for bigger batts. 35 or 40mm prop.
    You might be pleasantly surprised๐Ÿ˜Š
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    PS Hope this isn't a 'bum steer' ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=12V+UBEC&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=firefox-uk-21
    ๐Ÿ”—
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=ubec+12v+output
    ๐Ÿ”—
    MaggieM
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Guys , thanks , you have certainly given me a steer ( apologies for the pun ) to use a selection of the Leopard motors , looks like the 1100KV outrunner is the one I should start with ~ can I use the 120amp esc I have and if so do I need to use 10 gauge wire to the battery or can I use 12/14 gauge wire
    Again , many thanks for all the advice you have given me , it certainly seems I do not need to use the motor I have already bought as this is not suitable for my use ~ only problem is, the motors suggested are rated 3S to 5S , if I use a 4S or 5S power pack , just a small logistical issue of powering the 12v sound units / pump
    Regards Ray
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ray,
    No sweat๐Ÿ‘ We're just a coupla bin there dun that guys๐Ÿ˜
    Off the cuff, without looking for the specs, I reckon the LC4250-5T 960KV Outrunner should fit the bill. Surely you can squeeze another 4mm diameter in without great disruption?
    Or perhaps the LC3536 -7T 1100KV Outrunner if things are really that tight?

The LC356?-8T 960KV sounds like the ones you already use?
    If so try one of those and see how the boat goes๐Ÿ‘
    Try with your existing 3S battery first.
    As you say you don't want to go racing (or emulate that Warp 'nutter'!) I'm not convinced you need to go to 6S. A trial will tell.
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    PS 45mm prop sounds good to start with so don't start tearing the boat apart๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Leave the wiring as it is. 4mm connectors are the norm for bigger motors.
    XT90s would be good but the 60s should cope as well.
    BTW There are little jigs available to help with soldering a variety of connectors, incl. the XTs and bullets. Have a look through the site of any decent model stuff supplier who also does Tools๐Ÿ‘ Also, one of these little Amp/Wattmeter gadgets can help to see what's going on current-wise! See attached link. Available all over the net for a few quid.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/4-8V-60V-Precision-Voltage-Analyzer...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/4-8V-60V-Precision-Voltage-Analyzer-Backlight/dp/B07H7F2L43/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?dchild=1&keywords=KKmoon+150A+High+Precision+Power+Analyzer+Wattmeter&link_code=qs&qid=1586982381&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-1-fkmr1
    ๐Ÿ”—
    MaggieM
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Paul and Doug ,
    You are stars , you have both been very informative and explained the KVโ€™s , torque and other specs of brushless motors which means for the first time I am starting to understand the properties / performance of a brushless motor . Unfortunately with the exception of our old Chairman ( who just buys a motor and hopes it works ) I am the only member of DMBC that runs brushless and therefore I have no one else to talk to to get advice . When I purchased the Model Slipway Tamar Life Boat I was told to contact Westbourne Models as they knew exactly what motors / props to use ~ and she runs perfectly , 2 x Thumper and 2 x 60 Amp fusion Escโ€™s neither water cooled on 3S Lipos .
    When I race cars all I need to decide on is the Turns of the motor ( as all car motors are 540 size ) and the gearing ~ pinion and spur gear . I race with 120 Amp ESCโ€™s
    The model numbers are as follows :
    LC3536 -7T 1100KV Outrunner Brushless Motor Leopard Hobby
    LC3536-14T 560KV Outrunner Brushless Motor Leopard Hobby
    LC356-8T 960KV Outrunner Brushless Motor Leopard Hobby
    LC3536-5T 1520KV Outrunner Brushless Motor Leopard Hobby
    LC4250-9T 480KV Outrunner Brushless Motor Leopard Hobby
    LC4250-9T 550KV Outrunner Brushless Motor Leopard Hobby
    LC4250-5T 960KV Outrunner Brushless Motor Leopard Hobby
    LC5055-9T 430KV Outrunner Brushless Motor Leopard Hobby
    LC5055-6T 650KV Outrunner Brushless Motor Leopard Hobby
    LBH3650-9T 4370KV Inrunner Brushless Motor (2 pole) Leopard Hobby
    I know that there are other companies making Brushless Motors ~ can you suggest any alternatives to the Leopard Motors
    Yes the ESC is Brushless and will cope with 6S
    I have already set the motor / Prop Shaft in place to take a maximum 45mm prop size
    Also it will be difficult for me to experiment with any other motors that are bigger than 540 size brushed motor so model number LC5055-6T 650KV Outrunner Brushless Motor Leopard Hobby which is Dimensions (Dia. x Length๏ผšฮฆ50.0mm x 55.0mm) will not fit into the motor mount ~ if I was to use this motor then I would need to adjust the motor mount and take out the prop shaft to increase the rake
    Yes the sound units and pumps will operate on spare channels at 12 volts
    One other concern is the size of the wiring ~ with all my other boats I use 14 gauge silicon wire with XT60 and 4mm bullet connectors . The ESC has ~ 10 gauge wire to the battery and 12 gauge to the motor ~ presumably the 10 gauge is to facilitate using 120 amps ~ if I use the types of motors you are suggesting can I down size the wire as I am not sure that my soldering skills will be good enough to solder the 10 gauge wires to the switch / XT 60 connectors ( I do have XT 90 connectors ) , which if the joints fail , it could result in a short = possibility of a fire
    It seems that you are suggesting to use 6S batteries ( 2 x 3S ) ~ as I previously mentioned if I was to use 6S power I would have to re think the hardware installation
    Unfortunately, no one knows when normal life will resume so we have a possibility of real possibility of waiting till next year to sail her ( we use a manmade pond which is emptied during the winter to avoid icing over which could crack the cement )
    Finally once again many thanks for all the help and advice you have given me , it is much appreciated ~ keep safe
    pmdevlin
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    great reply Doug, you got to the specifics there.

In Summary Ray,

keep your esc, its fine, but is it for brushless, and does it reverse? how many cells will it take?

motor, needs to be in region of 1000kv or a bit less to haul the heavy hull, and consider its only a single screw. size, Im not sure, poss 38 to 40 (the first two numbers of the spec of the motor, someone else can get to this)

if the esc is rated for it, run 6 cells, two 3 cell packs, minimum really needs to be 4000mah, and a good c rating, 40c upwards, or the lipo will drain too quick, and starting point for me would be cheap plastic "x" props, at 50mm, 52.5mm and 55mm to test.

5mm shaft, 4mm is marginal

Hobbyking is the best place, look there, you dont need to be buying expensice equipment when you are at this testing stage.

this will somewhat replicate how I arrived at my Huntsman set up, same size, similar weight, although the deep v hull of the Huntsman makes it handle very different.๐Ÿ‘

Unless someone comes on with evidence of what they use, and the results, this is it. Have you looked at the boat harbour section, see what people have?
    Paul
    Show 21 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info