• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Scratch built boats
    by Newby7 πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ ( Midshipman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    10 Posts 9 Replies 0 Photos 46 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Scratch built boats
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi CB90.
    I find that i am just a builder, well really i class myself as a Tinkerer.
    But you never know one day i might take a boat somewhere and sail it about for a while.

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    CB90
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Scratch built boats
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I was very lucky that my Father was an apprentice (7 years) served boat builder and taught me how to design simple chine model boats, using a large roll of paper (wallpaper lining paper).
    I have built kits wooden, grp and plastic, I have renovated a few craft, but I find that I am not as fond of these, the craft I have invested the most time and effort in, including researching, collecting photographs, planning and building are my most valued.
    I don't like to say this but I find most model boat enthusiasts are either get the most satisfaction from building or sailing their boats, the lucky ones get both. Where as I am a builder.
    ianed57
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ Scratch built boats
    Flag
    Online: 51 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Over my 40+ years of building boats I have taken all sorts of approaches. When I was younger I was fairly sniffy about kits and consequently didn't make much progress- it took me six years to complete my first model! I was the same about fibreglass hulls and used to get very irritated when folk would claim they had scratch built a boat when using a grp hull.
    As I have got older and life seems distinctly more finite I take pleasure in building kits, building from plans and refurbishing ebay rescues. Do what brings you pleasure and fires your imagination and that, as far as I'm concerned, is the point of the hobby.

Ian
    Joe727
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ Scratch built boats
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Ron,
    You made some good points there regarding kits. Of all of the boats I've built, about 20, I only built one from a kit. It was the Dumas Brooklyn Tug which came with a plastic molded hull in two halves. Although it is a nice kit, I just didn't get the satisfaction I get from scratch building.

Best part about my scratch building is that I never really know what the end product is until I set sail. I do design my boats on paper complete with calcs so they sail, but as the build goes along I always tweak the design based on materials that are available. Makes it interesting. πŸ˜‰
    Joe
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Scratch built boats
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Rick,
    I agree wit Nerys when she said about completing them to her own ideas.
    I sometimes have an idea and then just make it even if i don't have any drawings.
    Admittedly some of the ideas are a little strange but that is the fun bit for me.
    Then again it could be the medication LOL!!!

Martin555.
    Newby7
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ Scratch built boats
    Flag
    Online: 11 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    For me the other thing about scratch build is yours will be a one of.Even if another builds from the same plans we all do things a little differently making it a one of. The other part is reading the drawings to build not only the hull but supper structure and all other parts for the boat.
    Rick
    Nerys
    Commodore
    πŸ“ Scratch built boats
    Flag
    Online: 12 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I think kits are a very good introduction to the hobby and I'm glad that I started by building a couple, however I quickly realised that building from scratch gives you far more versatility about what you can build, though I must admit to having bought a couple of ready moulded hulls and completed them to my ideas. There are however far more boats that one can build that are not available as kits or ready moulded hulls, so really scratchbuilding scores.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Ron
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ Scratch built boats
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Kits help me to see what I need to learn about my scratch building. I found that one on my first kits used too heavy of wood, in the bow particularly, thus it never planed over the surface of the water.

Some airplane kits are like that too, where too heavy of wood is in the kit, and thus it does not fly correctly.

So, if you use some of those kit parts as templates, then select your own material to replace it, a better model should be produced.

I don’t like the preformed hulls nor the glues used to bond them together. The challenge of making a hull is missed in the building process.

Ron
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Scratch built boats
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Rick,
    I am like you.
    I like to make everything from scratch.
    Take a look at my Harbour and you will see some of the stuff i do, including some strange things.

Most of my work is using waist products such as Ice Cream tubs, Margarine tubs And of course Yogurt Pots.

Martin555.
    Newby7
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ Scratch built boats
    Flag
    Online: 11 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    What do you like to build a kit,a repair,or scratch build a boat.I looked at my boats and found that I was starting my 6th scratch built boat still in the setup stages.For me I found that I like doing kit's with every thing cut out and ready to go but I tend to do them very fast and then I'm looking for a new project or boat to do.With the scratch boat when I build the boat from a plan it takes me longer and I enjoy the process as I have to plan how I want to proceed.The other part of this is you need to source your parts to finish the boat .I do see that building a boat from scratch is not for every one .Rick

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info