• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Ply starting or actually de-laminating. What to do?
    by Madwelshman πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    15 Posts 14 Replies 3 Photos 31 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Madwelshman
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Ply starting or actually de-laminating. What to do?
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Bruce.

Will
    Precedent Perkasa MTB 49 1/2" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 46" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 42" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 36" Aerokits Sea Commander 34" Aerokits Sea Rover 29 1/2" SLEC Fairey Huntress 23"
    bruce1946
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 24 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    You can go to any marine supply a get 2 part epoxy resin for marine https://www.amazon.com/TotalBoat-High-Performance-Epoxy-Quar...
    https://www.amazon.com/TotalBoat-High-Performance-Epoxy-Quart/dp/B06XH5CVFR/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=epoxy%2Bresin%2Bfor%2Bboats&qid=1608392506&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUEpLTE4xRkEwT0JXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzE5NTgxRjhMWFk0NE5UVDhQJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MTMyMDkzTFRZVTQzN0M5M0dVJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
    πŸ”—
    Madwelshman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks very much JB, that sounds like a good product.
    Even if it is a little more expensive, if it does the job, then it's worth it.

Cheers
    Will
    Precedent Perkasa MTB 49 1/2" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 46" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 42" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 36" Aerokits Sea Commander 34" Aerokits Sea Rover 29 1/2" SLEC Fairey Huntress 23"
    jbkiwi
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 2 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Will, you can, once the damage is repaired, give it a liberal coating of timber preservative, (not sure if you can get International 'Everdure' where you are, but it is a timber preserving thin resin (almost like water), and will preserve it for life. You should never have to re-do it. I think there are similar products in the UK.

It's a 1:1 mixture and a little goes a long way ( a couple of table spoons of mixture will do most of your repair area) . Bit expensive but magic stuff. Excellent for coating the inside of hulls, (new or old) and soaks into every crack.

JB
    Madwelshman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    When I saw the Sea Rover, which looks considerably worse that the Sea Commander, I just felt sorry for it and couldn't bare the thought of it just being binned or chucked in a skip.
    Even the job I will achieve on it, it will be better than it was and more importantly, both saved and useable.

Will
    zooma
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    You will probably need to do one bulkhead at a time as you need enough space for the plates and clamps to hold each part as it dries.

It is well worth doing - its very satisfying to save a basket case from the skip and bring it back into regular use!

Bob.
    Madwelshman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thank you very much for your input guys and for sharing your knowledge, much appreciated.

Bob, you can't beat a good old basket case. lol
    Really hoping to be able to do it justice and revitalise it so that I can get some enjoyment out of using it.

The bulkheads shouldn't be a problem to clamp and I think I will be able to clamp the keel as well.

Cheers guys.

Will
    zooma
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Will,

As you know, I am a habitual restorer of basket cases that any sensible person would avoid like the plague - and I have come across and dealt with this same problem many times before..

The first thing you need to do is to get your nice dry de-laminated plywood wet again - and give it time for the moisture to soak well into the wood.

While that is happening sort out something like a couple of hardwood or alloy plates that will fit against both outside faces of the delaminated bulkheads and some clamps that are deep enough to press the sandwich of plates and bulkheads together.

Now wipe the wetted wood with a kitchen towel to remove any excess moisture.

Inject some good quality water-proof PVA taking advantage of the now plyable wood to get the glue right down and between the different layers of delaminated ply. I save any thin slithers of wood that are left over from the bandsaw to help with spreading glue in tight areas like this.

Use plenty of glue as when the plates squeeze it together any excess will get pressed out - and also into the small areas that you were not able to reach.

Wipe away any excess glue as it is forced out of the wood with a damp cloth.

Keep the plates under firm pressure for at least 24 hours and when removed the bulkhead should be flat and stay that way.

Hope this helps,

Bob.
    Colin H
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 5 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Good Morning Will,
    As most of my models are old vintage ones I often have to repair delamination.
    On this particular model, of which I have 2, I used 2 pack epoxy from poundland on the bulkheads, keel and cabin sides. Using a slim needle to spread into the gaps and clamp wherever possible.
    The hull skins i gave a good coating of Ezekote and glass cloth on the outside to strengthen and seal.
    The inside was awkward as it had been coated with bitumen paint when first built so I scraped off as much as possible then washed out with trichloethane, dry cleaning type solvent, then I primed and painted with hammerite smooth.
    Leave for 48 hours to harden off, then it should be ready to give the outside a rub down and final paint job.
    Hope this helps, cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    tim morland
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Will,
    I don't know whether this will help but de-lamination like this is a common problem with caravan fllors, it happened to ours. the repairer drilled holes halfway through the floor then injected a resin into the void clamped everything tight. I have done similar repairs to this using a syringe and resin. Injecting resin into the voids. I used the syringes with wide needles that are used for refilling ink cartridges. The runnier resins can be mixed in the syringe by shaking. If you can get tiny clamps to the keel this might work.
    Incidentally I use this method (minus the needle) to inject polyurethane resin into complicated silicon rubber moulds.
    Show 5 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info