• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Arabian Dhow
    by ChrisR πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ ( Leading Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    12 Posts 11 Replies 0 Photos 16 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Arabian Dhow
    Flag
    Online: 4 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Jacko for bringing the dhow to our attention. Doesn't look a bad model. Did you find the other model dhow on the same site, a Kuwaiti dhow, a bit smaller, it looked to me a bit as if it had come through the souvenir market but quite a nice model for all that.

cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    jacko
    Sub-Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Arabian Dhow
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    on a well know site

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Wooden-Arab-Gulf-Dhow-Mod...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Wooden-Arab-Gulf-Dhow-Model-Boat/203344471135?hash=item2f5846645f:g:bsAAAOSwG~RgcvDs
    πŸ”—
    ChrisR
    Leading Seaman
    πŸ“ Arabian Dhow
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Nerys, No i did not the Racing Dhows were generally in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I was in Saudi and Bahrain. There were also some trading Dhows in Dubai which worked between Karachi and Dubai and possibly Muscat. I left the Middle East about 20 years ago now I expect a lot has changed.
    chris
    ChrisR
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Arabian Dhow
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Chris, I understand why you would like to build a dhow now, I expect the workshops were interesting too. Best of luck with it. Did you ever see the racing dhows that I've been talking about?

cheers Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    ChrisR
    Leading Seaman
    πŸ“ Arabian Dhow
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Yes Nerys, I lived and worked in Saudi Arabia and then Bahrain. I want to build a model of one of the Shrimping Dhows which Passed us regularly when I was yachting in the Gulf. Also there was a ship yard in Bahrain where the Dhows were built nd repaired. It was fasinating to see the method of construction.
    ChrisR
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Arabian Dhow
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I presume Chris R is looking at building a model of a traditional sailing dhow. Whilst the dhow is still used in the transport of goods there has been a massive revival of interest in sailing in the emirates in the last twenty or thirty years and the result has been the development of racing dhows. These are lightly built craft in three classes, 22ft 43ft and 60ft. They are long narrow craft built of wood with a large traditional lateen sail made in modern materials to power them, and power them they do. Large crews to 'sit them out'. From what I understand they have a long straight course set so that they are reaching all the way. I believe the 60footers have two masts. This form of racing has become very popular in the tourist areas with hotels sponsoring some of the boats.
    I've been interested in these craft for some time and when I 'hopefully' manage to pull out of my present 'unwell' state, I shall finish my present project then seriously think about building one of these dhows. I'm sure it would be a most interesting project, particularly how she would handle under sail. I wouldn't bother with plans, a few photos, and as all they look like is an elongated racing dinghy, it shouldn't be difficult to build. Rigging too should not be difficult, though I have ideas about that to simplify. Anyway, we'll see.

Cheers, Nerys.
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Arabian Dhow
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    There was a thread on this forum a few days ago entitled 'Dutch Sailing Barges'. One of our German members posted details of a website listing plans of a huge variety of boats which included several dhows. I know that's only plans, but could be better than nothing if you can't find a kit.

Nerys
    ChrisR
    Leading Seaman
    πŸ“ Arabian Dhow
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thank you for that info. I will look at it.
    Much appreciated.
    ChrisR
    ChrisR
    Leading Seaman
    πŸ“ Arabian Dhow
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thank you very much for the info.
    ChrisR
    redpmg
    Captain
    πŸ“ Arabian Dhow
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    You can also search for the Corel kit of Al Bahran an Arabian Dhow - posted some pictures of one a couple of days ago under 'Old Kit Built'.

Was available from Cornwall Model Boats at 105 - temp out of stock -1/50th scale - 575mm long - a lot bigger than the Artesania one at 390mm. However they are both static models so you will have to modify either one for RC .
    Show 2 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info