• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Dragon 'Bluebottle' Yacht
    by TonyAsh πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Master Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    12 Posts 11 Replies 12 Photos 13 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Dragon 'Bluebottle' Yacht
    Flag
    Online: 3 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Tony,
    Your Dragon planking is coming on well, she's beginning to look really good and showing off her lovely lines to good effect. Good choice of timber in my opinion.
    Keep up the good work.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    TonyAsh
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 4 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi All, Here's part 2 of my Dragon build -planking. The transom is mahogany and the planking is basswood, the ribs and frames are pine. I invested in a bandsaw before starting this project -an Einhell and cut my planking using a 32 tpi blade. The frames and fitting ribs are held in place by the stops you can see on the building board, and until the planking was finished hadn't glued the keel and spine & the motor shaft and copper tube were a push fit only -which was just as well as you will see in Part 3!
    Used a PVA strong glue to glue the planks to the ribs, stem and stern. When the pins were removed the sanding before white undercoating covered up all the holes -in the next stage the hull will be lifted from the board turned over and a jig made -then I can start thinking about what I'll do with the inside!

Regards,

Tony A..........
    Tony A.....
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Tony,
    That's what I thought you would do, looks best. If you have problems tacking as Ron is having, if you don't want to use the motor, why not mount the rudder separately further aft a la most model yachts, Dragonforce etc. No longer a pure Dragon, but you killed that by installing a motor.

Cheers,
    Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    TonyAsh
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Nerys, it's installed through the stern post and the rudder is cavitated to give the propeller clearance.

Regards,

Tony A...........
    Tony A.....
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Tony, After what Ron has said, I don't blame you installing a motor. Are you taking the tube through the sternpost or out on one side? I motorised my full size Dragon by mounting an outboard on the end of her counter stern. Worked well for pushing me up and down Oare Creek in a head wind. The purists didn't approve, but neither did they of the 6 metre class yacht in full racing trim with an old Seagull outboard mounted on the side of the yacht and accessible from the steering position.

Cheers, Nerys
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Tony,
    Evidently 'Bluebottle' had a year long restoration by David Heritage Racing Yachts on the Isle of Wight. It wass originally intended that she would be ready for the Edinburgh Cup Races in Edinburgh in 2020, but covid stopped that. She reappeared at Cowes Week this year and finished the week with three wins, two seconds and a fourth, not bad for a 73 year old yacht competing with a load of youngsters. She is now rejoining 'Coweslip', the Duke's Flying Fifteen and his Ocean Racing Yacht 'Bloodhound' in Leith together with that other boat relating to the Royal Family, 'Britannia'.

Cheers, Nerys
    Dampfgerd
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hello
    No, at the moment I have another project
    TonyAsh
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Gerhard,
    I'll be posting again shortly -do you plan to build an RC Dragon?
    Regards,

Tony A.........
    Tony A.....
    Dampfgerd
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Ich werde mir das ansehen, weil ich die Bluebottle und einen anderen Dragon Plan habe (Fotos reduziert). Gute Gelingt Gerhard
    TonyAsh
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Nerys,
    I've been reading your posts over the months and delighted to know you are getting out and about despite your health problems. Re the renovated Bluebottle, I've not seen it, even though I've been out on the Solent waters over past months and at the Cowes weekend. No doubt it's back in Leith now. As for cheating.... well, necessary if I'm to have a fighting chance to have the model sail well. I'll be posting again shortly part 2 of the build.

Regards,

Tony A.........
    Tony A.....
    Show 2 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info